The Shameless Self-Promotion Bureau 5,475 members · 49,569 stories
Comments ( 15 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 15

Yep, it's been so weird that I'm making my first ever short story competition based on it.

Time slot: The competition will last from the 8th of November 6am GMT to the 1st of December 6am GMT. I hope I can announce the winners before Christmas, but I'll need a proofreader to help me.

Prompt: Your human character living on Earth (can be told from POV of the main character or 3rd person) is having a video call which gets intercepted by your favourite characters from the MLP universe. The main character LOVES MLP FiM (should be easy to relate) and has to explain to whoever they are calling why there is a pastel coloured cartoon animal or mythical creature on their computer screens.

Now, this prompt is a rough guide. You don't have to follow it to the letter. If you want an EqG character instead of a FiM character, then that is ok. If you want to use characters from a previous generation of MLP or from Pony Life, that's fine too. If you want a human character to stumble upon a group chat the Mane 6 or some other characters are having, go with it. Be creative, because I don't want to read exactly the same story fifty times over.

Rules:

1. The competition will begin on the 8th of November 6am GMT and will end on the 1st of December, 6am GMT. Nothing submitted before or after these dates and times will be accepted.
  2. You will need to put your story in a folder on my new group here. Also, if you leave a link to this thread or the group folder then it lets others know that it was written for a contest, and also acts as free promotion for said contest.
  3. The story cannot exceed 10k words.
  4. Depending on how popular this is, I will need two other ponies to help me review stories. They are not allowed to enter the contest and need to be unbiased when reviewing. PM me if you are interested. The first two ponies who PM me will be given the role, but if I end up with tons of entries then I'll consider asking a third helper to lend a hoof.

Prize: I don't have tons of cash to hand out, so the prizes will be as follows:

• 3rd place: cover art for your story
  • 2nd place: cover art for your story and a lot of promotion.
  • 1st place: cover art for your story, an absolutely ridiculous amount of promotion, a place in the Angel Midninght Hall of Famous Favourites (my favourites folder - it's very hard to get accepted) and probably a word to the Seattle's Angels group, who post selected fics on the news page of this website. I might even slip a word to Equestria Daily...

Good luck to all of those who enter. I hope to see plenty of entries cropping up here from the 8th of November onwards!

I would love to participate, but I'm currently busy with my stories, so I can't. However, from Mexico, I wish each and every one of the competitors good luck.

Hm I Seth Standmore would like to participate............................................................

Aww, it's a shame you can't take part. You have a good 3 weeks to change your mind if you get a few spare hours, though.
Goody goody, an new competitor. Now I know what to do when I can't find anything to read: make a new competition with a couple of prompts. Speaking of prompts, I'm not sure if I need another one or not. Hmmm...

Sure, though my incoming collab will busy me.

This is so close to my life these days, I couldn’t help myself and have already started writing it!

Prompt: Your human character living on Earth (can be told from POV of the main character or 3rd person) is having a video call which gets intercepted by your favourite characters from the MLP universe. The main character LOVES MLP FiM (should be easy to relate) and has to explain to whoever they are calling why there is a pastel coloured cartoon animal or mythical creature on their computer screens.

Does it have to follow exactly like what you stated? Cause I'm starting to envision a story if I could just change the setup a little bit.

I don't know how it'll end, life keeps drilling holes in my spare time, and I'm focused on finishing a chapter that I've been putting of for at least 6 months now; I might be too busy to enter.

...but that publicity is tempting me!

As long as a MLP character interrupts a video call, I'll be happy. You can have someone from the EqG series get involved instead if that would suit your story better. Be inventive! :twilightsmile:

I can assure that it's inventive, but the genre can be a bit of a 'wild card' as romance, horror, sad, or drama would actually work better instead of random or comedy.

Go ahead! I'd prefer it if the story was rated Everyone or Teen, but do whatever you feel is right.

I Seth Standmore have posted a story to this competition you can read it here. https://www.fimfiction.net/story/481932/mr-jones-and-me

Sincerely Seth Standmore.

Congratulations, Seth Standmore! So far in this competition you are #1, the leading contender!

7368658 Thanckx's Mocking Bird I have already written my victory speech

Well, I promoted the contest in a story description published near the contest's beginning

TMy Friend the Petsitter Is Not a Trashy Mare
Fluttershy said softly, "You know how your arms are symmetrical? Your left is like your right? I'm not really into that. I think it's gross." Then it got worse.
Mockingbirb · 2.9k words  ·  10  2 · 1.1k views

and an Author's Note on a story published later

TRainbow Dash Hacks the Internet Again (Hacker Blitz's Second Strike!)
Rainbow Dash tries a new prank: hack the Internet to make hyuu-mans look at pictures of her butt. It turns out a lot better and more G-rated than expected.
Mockingbirb · 1.3k words  ·  19  2 · 613 views

Just now I used your contest as an example of how stories can be rather different in different settings, and suggested on a discord channel that someone might want to check if you're re-extending the deadline or running a second contest set on the Internet.
So all I ask is, if I recruit writers who knock me out of the top three places, please consider giving me a special honorable mention for it. :twilightsmile:

Or if my encouragement and promotion completely fail, I guess an honorable mention for "well you tried hard" :twilightsmile:

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 15