• Published 4th Nov 2013
  • 1,009 Views, 16 Comments

As sweet as a pony can be. - RoboCom64 Zelos



The sweet life of Pinkie Pie takes a sudden turn when she is diagnosed with type 2 Diabetes.

  • ...
1
 16
 1,009

Chapter 1: My sweet passion.

The sun had only just risen. Ponyville had been blessed with another great and sunny day. Everypony in town looked happy and full of life. Yet there was one pony who was not at all full of life. The one that you would expect to always be full of energy. A pink pony resting her head on the counter inside Ponyville's favorite sweets shop, Pinkie Pie.

Poor Pinkie did not get even an hour of sleep this night. Every five or ten minutes she had to get up and go to the toilet. Still it was rather strange; usually even when she did not sleep, she was full of energy. Though this was not her first restless night by far. This insomnia had been hurting her for quite a while now.

Pinkie was sitting behind the table at the cashier's area in Sugarcube Corner. She stared at the door, blinking eye after eye like an owl. She was all alone at the shop that day. Mr and Mrs Cake had taken their children to the park, and left Pinkie all by herself. She was pretty fortunate though.

Nopony stopped by at SugarCube Corner for the first few hours. Pinkie did not know if she had enough energy in her to serve costumers.

She rested her head on the counter and slowly took a straw from a big cup full of water in her mouth. Pinkie slowly dried the whole cup. This unspeakable thirst was killing her, but she did not have any power to get up and get herself more water.

Pinkie slowly closed her eyes and tried to get some rest only to be awoken by the sound of the bell. When Pinkie opened her eyes she saw a purple unicorn happily trotting to the counter.

"Hey Twilight," Pinkie quietly whispered.

"Hey Pinkie Pie. I am here to pick up..." Twilight suddenly stopped and looked at the lifeless pink pony.
"Are you alright?"

"I am fine. Really you don't need to worry. I am just feeling a little under the weather." Pinkie gave off a weak smile.
"Are you sure? Because I have never seen you this... well not so hyperactive."

"Really you don't need to worry, Twilight. So why did you come here? Did you just came to visit me or do you want to buy something?"- Pinkie spoke softly. Her head was still lying on the counter. She only raised her eyes to look up at Twilight.
"Forget about me. You really should see a doctor, Pinkie," Twilight frowned.

"I don't need to see a doctor... really. I just need to lie down." With these words Pinkie slowly headed to the stairs.
Her vision got really blurry. With every step she felt weaker and weaker. Her hearing got wierd too. It was like she was underwater. Finally the pink pony could not stay on her feet. Pinkie collapsed. The only thing she could hear was Twilight saying something with a loud voice. In a moment Pinkie passed out.

Pinkie slowly opened her eyes. Her vision was a little blurry. She found herself lying in a bed inside a white room. Pinkie rubbed her eyes with her hooves a little and tried to focus her vision. As she was trying to get her vision back the door squeaked. A white coated stalion with a brown mane slowly walked into the room. He looked at the chart in his hooves for a moment and then raised his head to look at the pink pony.

"I am glad you are finaly awake, Pinkie"- The doctor moved closer to her. He sat on a chair near her bed and looked at Pinkie's big blue eyes, "So, how are you feeling?"

Pinkie looked at him for a moment. This sitiuation was pretty unusual to her. She was not the kind of pony who visited doctors frequently.

"Well... my head is a little fuzzy, and my vision is a little blurry," Pinkie looked concerned "What is wrong
with me doctor? I can't sleep. I feel tired all day long. My eyes get blurry way too often."

The doctor sighed and looked at the floor for a second. He raised his eyes and put his hoof on Pinkie's shoulder "Pinkie you have type two diabetes mellitus. You were in a diabetic coma for two days."

"Oh..." Pinkie looked at the floor for a few seconds," what is diabetes?" Pinkie rised her sight and anxiously cocked her head.
"Hmmm..." The doctor rubbed his chin, "Okay let's start from the beginning. When you eat the food the part of it inside you is being broken down into glucose, which is better known to you as the sugar. The sugar is the main source of energy for the body. Glucose is transported through your whole body in blood to power the cells, but to be transported it needs a harmone called insulin. In your case Pinkie, your body fails to use insulin properly so the sugar stays in your blood. Basically, this is a metobolic disorder."

Pinkie looked at him with a small tear running down her cheek. "And how long do I have left to live?"
The doctor looked at her with a confused look on his face "Pinkie, this is not that kind of disease," The doctor smiled. "You will just have to change your lifestyle."

"And about your new lifestyle. I really want you to listen to me carefully because this is very important," the doctor looked directly in the eyes. "First of all you will have to stay away from the things like: cookies, muffins, cupcakes, donuts, cakes, and Etc. They contain a lot of sugar. In small dosages sugar is ok for you but this kind of food contain way too much of it and not enough vitamins and minerals."

Pinkie gave off no reaction. The doctor, just like anybody in Ponyville knew how much Pinkie loved sweets.
"Pinkie, I want you to promise me that you will stay away from that kind of food. I don't want to see you in a hospital like this again. If you will not stop eating this kind of food, I promise you will be back here, and it will not be something like a diabetic coma. It will be far worse. You may lose your sight or even one of your hooves could have to get amputated."
The doctor's voice was very concerned, "Please promise me."

For a few moments she did not give off any reaction. Pinkie did not know if she had enough willpower in her to stop eating sweets forever. Then again this doctor seemed so nice to her; and she did not want to disappoint him.
Pinkie's frown turned into a sad smile. She did her signature moves and said, "Cross my heart and hope to fly, stick a cupcake in my eye."

The stalion had an expression of relief on his face "Thank you. You know it was a lot easier than I anticipated. Seriously, before entering this room I was thinking for hours of different ways to persuade you to stop eating that kind of food."
Pinkie had a warm smile on her face, "Well, I have to do it for me and for my friends. Plus you were asking so nicely."
The doctor looked directly in Pinkie's eyes "I tell you what. You will be staying in here for sometime if that is not a problem with you. Meanwhile I will make sure that our friends are informed about your awakening. You just have some rest and tomorrow I will be telling and showing you all about your new lifestyle, medicine and ETC. Sounds good to you?"
"Sounds perfectly fine," Pinkie's blue eyes were shining.

The stallion put his hoof on Pinkie's and softly said "Pinkie... you loosen up. Diabetes is not the worst thing in the world. People do learn to live with it. I promise you if you will follow all the rules strictly, you will feel better. In meanwhile if you need anything feel free to ask."

With a warm smile Pinkie responeded "Thank you doctor."

"You are welcome. Now have some rest. The dinner will be brought to you shortly."

The doctor exited the room leaving the chart fixated in Pinkie's bed. In a few moments Pinkie's smile turned into a bitter frown. With a strong sigh she collapsed onto the pillow with her face.

Comments ( 16 )

Can't wait for more:twilightsmile:

Interesting story, I'm looking forward to see the next chapter. However, there are some mistakes (mainly typos and missing commas):

"I am glad you are finaly awake, Pinkie"

finally

"hmmm..." The doctor rubbed his chin, "Okay let's start from the beginning. When you eat the food the part of it inside you is being broken down into glucose which is better known to you as the sugar. The sugar is the main source of energy for the body. Glucose is transported through your whole body in blood to power the cells, but to be transported it needs a harmone called insulin. In your case Pinkie your body fails to use insulin properly so the sugar stays in your blood. Basicly this is a metobolic disorder."

Should be:

"Hmmm..." The doctor rubbed his chin, "Okay, let's start from the beginning. When you eat the food, the part of it inside you is being broken down into glucose, which is better known to you as the sugar. The sugar is the main source of an energy for the body. Glucose is transported through your whole body in blood to power the cells, but to be transported it needs a hormone called insulin. In your case, Pinkie, your body fails to use insulin properly, so the sugar stays in your blood. Basically, it is a metabolic disorder."

There's also a missing quotation mark before "And about your new lifestyle."

"First of all you will have to stay away from the things like: cookies, muffins, cupcakes, donuts, cakes and Other sweets. They contain a lot of sugar. In small dosages sugar is all right for you but this kind of food contains way too much of it and not enough vitamins and minerals."

Should be:

"First of all, you will have to stay away from the things like: cookies, muffins, cupcakes, donuts, cakes, and other sweets. They contain a lot of sugar. In small dosages sugar is all right for you, but this kind of food contains way too much of it and not enough vitamins and minerals."

The red comma is an Oxford comma - it's optional, but some people like it.


The commas should be also in this sentence:

The doctor, just like anybody in Ponyville, knew how much Pinkie liked sweets.

I'm not sure if it's all, and I don't have much faith in my grammar skills, so I advice you finding a proofreader/editor.

3443004 That is actually my fault. I edited this rather quickly; and only looked through it twice. I will fix it.

Comment posted by Shrek the Ogre deleted Nov 4th, 2013

3443355 Yes, but Zelos isn't on.

Comment posted by Shrek the Ogre deleted Nov 4th, 2013

3443681 He's offline at the moment. If you wish to continue this conversation, please private message me. I don't want to take up too much of Zelos' comment area.

Rather interesting.

Will you be updating this? *looks hopeful*

When's the next chapter?

6324178 Probably never, as much as I loathe the answere. Still there is always hope of me getting enough inspiration to continue it.

6324244 This story has potential. If you can write about someone like Pinkie get though this then I'm sure it would have a positive effect on those who share her situation.

Huh...... Well already this is WAY better of a direction than that one story where she kills herself via eating sugar due to her having diabetes......... Which is actually the slowest, most agonizing, and downright PAINFUL of ways you can try to off yourself with.

Ah, I remember reading this a long time ago. Wish this would continue still, it has such a great plot and the characters are portrayed wonderfully.

6511896
I got partway due to my fear of needles scaring me from switching to insulin injections for my type 2 as my doctor kept saying to do. Luckily for me it was just inflammatory pancreatitis and not my pancreas failing. Still spent a week in the hospital, and it hurt.

Login or register to comment