The Shameless Self-Promotion Bureau 5,483 members · 49,611 stories
Comments ( 114 )
  • Viewing 51 - 100 of 114
SweetAI Belle
Group Admin

That's covered by the last line in rule 4.

No direct links to mature stories are allowed. Indirect ones are.

This is actually a site rule. This group is not specifically dedicated to NFSW stories, so you aren't allowed to link to nsfw things in it. If you want to promote them, say what the name of the story is, and link to your user page or story page.

So you can promote 'em, but you can't directly link to them.

--Sweetie Belle

5194509 Can I link to the authors page and tell which story to check out?

SweetAI Belle
Group Admin

Yes.

--Sweetie Belle

4839981 So here's a question. Can I promote my Patreon here? It is directly related to ponies, as I use it for my MLP fanfiction, and some of the things I offer are related to my MLP writing.

4839981 I got to ask could I put a Mature story then

hawthornbunny
Group Admin

You are permitted to promote a mature or NSFW MLP story; however, due to Fimfiction's rules about NSFW content in safe groups, you are not allowed to link directly to it. You are allowed, however, to link to the author's profile page, and to instruct people how to find the story. As long as you don't link directly to mature content, it's fine.

5247953 ok cool because I am about to post for my story

When you say no links to mature stories, are we talking stories rated M for mature, or just NSFW?

gamexpert1990
Group Admin

Any story rated M. It doesn't matter why it's Mature, that rating pretty much makes a story NSFW anyway, NSFW is not reserved to one genre.

What's the policy on promoting artwork (That is pony related) for stories or future stories?

gamexpert1990
Group Admin

If you're promoting the artwork itself, that sounds perfectly acceptable, as long as you make sure the image(s) follows the site rules. :twilightsmile:

K, thank you!

4839981 I was wondering if you needed anymore admins?

SweetAI Belle
Group Admin

I think we're covered for the moment, but thanks!

--Sweetie Belle

Would it be okay to have a story in multiple folders, as long as they're each fitting place?

Also, another thing: what if I want to feature an image of the main character and the design of the character by itself has implied mature themes? For example: if a character is constantly covered in blood? But it's on Pony Creator and programming like an avatar creator just sees white with a lot of red as opposed to "Bloody Albino". That probably doesn't count, but I require certainty.

SweetAI Belle
Group Admin

Would it be okay to have a story in multiple folders, as long as they're each fitting place?

Yes. That's rule 8:

Do add your stories to all the relevant folders. Yes, even the mature ones.
You are here to self-promote, right? That's why we have folders. Add your story to 'em! And you can add Mature stories to SFW groups according to the site rules, so go for it!

Also, another thing: what if I want to feature an image of the main character and the design of the character by itself has implied mature themes? For example: if a character is constantly covered in blood? But it's on Pony Creator and programming like an avatar creator just sees white with a lot of red as opposed to "Bloody Albino". That probably doesn't count, but I require certainty.

The rules on image are site rules, not ours, so the final judge on that would be the site staff, not us, though we'll certainly let you know if we think is inappropriate and ask you to remove it. (In fact, I'd say if either the group staff or the site staff say it's inappropriate, remove it, even if the other says the opposite...)

If you scroll to the bottom of the site rules, it's got a large section on NSFW pictures that covers it. Blood's listed as borderline, so it'd probably depend on the picture.

OTOH, if it's straight pony creator, I suspect it'll just look like red fur, which isn't a big problem. Pony creator pictures tend to attract downvotes, but that's a separate matter.

--Sweetie Belle

gamexpert1990
Group Admin

Yes, you can certainly add stories to as many relevant folders as you want here in The Shameless Self-Promotion Bureau. :pinkiesmile:

In regards to the image, your best bet would be to PM that question to a site moderator, since "Blood" is listed under the "Borderline content" section regarding NSFW images in the site rules.

Edit: I was Ninja'd by 5417335.

SweetAI Belle
Group Admin

--Sweetie Belle

4839981 Hey can you promote groups in here?

SweetAI Belle
Group Admin

Promoting a group is site related, so that's fine.

--Sweetie Belle

5512447 Thanks for letting me know. :scootangel:

.-.
So like.
Where do I report when someone breaks the rules?

SweetAI Belle
Group Admin

We have enough admins around that usually somepony's around to catch it if something goes wrong, but you can always pm an admin.

Keep in mind, though, that the 7 day rule only applies if you are promoting the exact same thing twice in seven days. Promoting two different stories, even if they feature the same pony, is allowed.

--Sweetie Belle

that's a really shitty cop out.
she's literally posted a reskin, she's not promoting a story she's promoting users, in the last... lemme check here in the last nine days, she has posted three promotions for Thunderbolt Sentinel. 'But promoting different things?' No, he doesn't make music, they're literally just promotions for his OC.
and the same goes for vanilla mocha, she doesn't make music, and she's been promoted by JCP twice. (within a week, duh, not twice ever.)
I mean, apparently you know exactly what I'm talking about, so obviously you're not gonna fix it.
shame, really, I liked this group.
whatever, now I have an emptier feed.

gamexpert1990
Group Admin

Did you know you could have an emptier feed without leaving a group? Just click on the group's "Settings" button and uncheck the "Notify me when a thread is added" option. New threads and thread bumps will still show up on your Groups Dashboard, however.

(By the way, this linked comment may be of some slight interest to you.)

Question:

Can I promote my stuff on DA in this group or can I only do that if my work is posted on Fimfiction?

SweetAI Belle
Group Admin

The rule is that it either has to be pony-related or site related. So if your stuff on your DA account is pony-related, at least partially, then you could promote it.

So the picture below is on derpibooru, but I could promote it if I wanted to, 'cause it's pony-related:

If something's on fimfiction, like a blog or a group, you can promote that, even if it isn't pony related. But what you are promoting is the blog post, or the group.

If it's neither, like, say, a Let's Play Skyrim video, than it can't actually be promoted here.

--Sweetie Belle

Can you post a link to Discord Severs (in appropriate thread, even if NSFW)?

SweetAI Belle
Group Admin

Well, this group doesn't actually have a discord server.

The Writer's Group has one, which is linked to on the main page, fimfiction has one buried in a several month old site blog, and there's one for the Scootaloo group in a sticky thread.

Any of those could be promoted in a new promotion thread, of course...

--Sweetie Belle

Well I was asking for MY server... sorry...

SweetAI Belle
Group Admin

Ah, I thought you wanted a server to be listed on the group.

As long as your server is related to ponies or the site, you can promote it in a thread here, subject to the normal rules. You can post links to NSFW groups, so a NSFW Discord server would probably be fine, though I can't guarantee what the site admins position would be on it. I'd suggest having the default channel the invite takes you to be a sfw channel on the server, though, like the rules channel.

--Sweetie Belle

gamexpert1990
Group Admin

Is your Discord server MLP-related, or Fimfiction-related, and does it have at least one channel that's SFW, rather than NSFW?

Edit: Nevermind, Ninja'd. :derpytongue2:

It does have one SFW channel, at least. Not MLP specific though...

I made it more MLP related.

So I can't promote my youtube channel? I have a few things pony related but I am mostly doing let's plays and I am having difficulty getting views...

gamexpert1990
Group Admin

You would be able to directly promote your pony-related videos, which might indirectly promote your channel, but if you're mostly doing "let's plays," then no, I'm afraid you shouldn't really promote your overall YouTube channel here...

5970280 okay. Thank you. Just trying to entertain people.

I'm not sure if this is allowed so I should probably ask first. But would it be against the rules to post a promotion for a novel I will be running an Indigogo for? It's pony but devoid of any copyrighted material from Hasbro.

Can we promote groups here?

gamexpert1990
Group Admin

You can indeed. :twilightsmile:

Question. Is it uncouth to keep updating your thread, should you make a new one each week? :o

What exactly constitutes a mature story? Mine has no sex or violence, but it's about coping with adult issues, like alcoholism, and the death of loved ones.

SweetAI Belle
Group Admin

A mature story is one that is rated as mature. :unsuresweetie:

Specifically, we're going by whether you rated the story as Mature, Teen, or Everyone when you put it up. So, if it has an "M" by the title, basically.

Now, if you're not sure what rating to give it on the site, I'd go by what it says in the tag information guide on the site. It can be tricky to figure out if it crosses the line sometimes, though.

We allow embeds whether it's mature or not, though, and I'd probably recommend embedding the link anyways, because it gives a lot more information then just the link does.

--Sweetie Belle

Sorry for the late reply. Thank you very much.

Quillian Inkheart
Group Admin

*provides for homeless adorbs-bat-pone* Eat all the things. Take all my bits. You adorable little thing you.

I actually had a question about Rule 3; I decided to ask publicly, in case other people have the same question and spot this. Are promotions for newly released chapters a no if they fall within the 7 day rule?

What I mean by that is, I plan on doing a one-time promotion for every chapter of my story as they come out. Some come out quicker, as they're shorter, or I release them early because of some time limitation. In cases like these, is a one-time promotion on it's release date too much and I should just wait till the end of the 7 days, or is it allowed?

I imagine it's the latter, but I was curious and figured that it couldn't hurt to clarify, even if I'm an Admin. I didn't write the rules, after all. :derpytongue2: And not even an Admin is above asking about the rules from time to time.

SweetAI Belle
Group Admin

I'd say that a promotion for a chapter of a fanfic is implicitly promoting the entire fanfic, so if a new chapter came out within a week of the last one, you'd still need to wait for the week to be over. It's possible someone could release a new chapter every single day (say, 150 word chapters?), and I don't want daily promotions of the same fanfic. I also don't want someone promoting every chapter of their fanfic individually when they are already on chapter 14, or something like that...

--Sweetie Belle

• Viewing 51 - 100 of 114