• Published 10th Aug 2023
  • 622 Views, 435 Comments

They're home. - Nameless Narrator



After Canterlot, little changeling drones survived many threats on the surface, but nothing has ever been as dangerous as the deep, dark tunnels under the Badlands they live in. It's finally time they claimed the tunnels and made them their home.

  • ...
3
 435
 622

Power of perseverance: 5

“10k, are you trying my patience?” Chrysalis looks down from the throne when the drone leader enters the throne room, “I distinctly recall giving 65536 the permission to set a binding schedule for you and nowhere in there does it say to go to the throne room. I think there’s even a stipulation somewhere that 387 will go down to your cavern and listen to your reports until you’re allowed to walk this far again.”

“At worst, I can link up and relay a message,” adds 156, casually sparring against 387 under the throne. Neither of the two seem particularly invested in winning the fight, it’s just something to occupy their hooves and practice their muscle memory while their minds are elsewhere.

“I counted the distance I’m allowed to walk today. It’s enough to walk my way here,” says 10k.

This makes 156 and 387 stop, because both are smart enough to understand that, in the case of an old drone like 10k, it’s not just a poor choice of words. 10k didn’t count the steps back to the HSC. As the drone stops under the throne, they flank it, one from each side.

“Say your piece,” says Chrysalis.

“Your Majesty, I used my privilege and lied to you, 156, and 387 about why I wanted Smiley to leave-”

Everyone listens in silence while 10k recounts what it already told 65536 during the surgery about wanting Smiley to have a better life and about using the death of 47989 to give her the chance. While 10k can’t sense anything, it’s one hundred percent sure that its mind is now being probed for lies by all three changelings present.

“-I understand that I broke the trust I was given and the privacy privilege I, 156, and 387 earned. No other drone was involved in making that decision, and the only ones who know what I did are those whom I told about it during the surgery - 3012, 57999, 65536, and 99380.”

Its mind reading suspicion is confirmed when Chrysalis says:

“And you successfully used the new drone weapons to kill a rock worm, a pest that had been an insurmountable obstacle to the hive’s function since the hive moved here, and a reason why I had to abandon the idea of sending you drones to dig out what you naively call the crusher. You think that will make me more lenient about your lie.”

10k nods. To its surprise, though, Chrysalis’ following question takes a different direction.

“Tell me one thing, 10k. Drones have been creating numerous weapons recently. Killing a rock worm aside, I read in your mind that you’ve been toying with equipping drones in general with a new magnesium explosive. All the new things are weapons which, with some planning, can be used to change the power structure of the hive. I know both 99111 and 99856 have no clue what they’re doing and are doing research for research's sake, but you are the one who knows how bad things were… and how bad they can be again. If the ‘old rules’ returned, whether it be by me being deposed or by sheer necessity due to times changing again, would you use the weapons against ranked changelings? Answer in full.”

Everyone waits until 10k formulates an answer that it feels is accurate and complete enough.

“I… wouldn’t want to, but I can’t say no. I would do all I can to help as many drones as possible to flee the hive peacefully and find their place outside. If high ranks tried to prevent them from leaving, I’d use anything at my disposal to get them out and say they died while working. No drone deserves the life that the dwindling few of us had,” 10k looks the Queen in the eyes with an unusual fire burning deep within that stare, “And no hive that would force us to live like that again deserves even a single drone.”

With just the tiniest twitch of the corner of her mouth, Chrysalis’s eyes flick towards 387 and back at the drone. Unnoticed by either of those two, 156 cracks a quick smile and winks at the Queen.

“I know full well that mercy to traitors is cancer that will eventually devour its host, but what would you do with a borderline case like this one, 156?” asks Chrysalis.

“The drones lost any right to privacy, that’s clear, but controlling their development and the output of their work seems far more useful than returning to using them as miners, no matter how perfectly suited for the job they are. I may even know of a couple ranked changelings who could do exactly that, doubly so because they’re being sent out on supply missions and returning with pony knowledge the drones could make use of.”

“Are you suggesting that ranked changelings join drones as researchers?”

“Different minds have different ideas and points of view,” 156 shrugs, “We would need to make sure that drones’ opinions don’t get ignored, but in the long run I believe we could all benefit from the easier oversight, cooperation, and giving ranked changelings something interesting to do between missions.”

“387?” Chrysalis nods towards the warrior, “Got anything to add?”

“Agreed, but delay it, Big Floaty,” replies the warrior, “The last thing we need is to give unrestricted and uncontrolled access to the production and use of drone bombs to potentially untrustworthy parties.”

10k kind of gets the feeling that this conversation hasn’t been about it for a while now.

“Good point,” the Queen nods, “156, carry 10k off downstairs. As tempted as I am to punish it by making it walk back, I promised 65536 I would stick to the recovery schedule, and what sort of a ruler would I be if I didn’t honor my word- don’t dare to even open your mouth, 387.”

“Mhmmhhmhm…” the warrior raises an eyebrow at her, mumbling wordlessly.

“Come on, you traitorous little revolutionary,” 156 picks 10k up and puts it on her back, “The Queen, of course, expects you to not pull shit like this ever again. Think of it this way - when we formed this little ‘council’, the four of us decided to trust each other so that we don’t always have to keep looking over our shoulder for others trying to stab us in the back, and the first one who did that weren’t the infiltrators, weren’t the warriors, wasn’t the power-hungry Queen -just using the previous you as an example, Your Majesty- but the drones.”

10k freezes, 156’s words biting deep despite their cautious warmth.

“387, when you have some free time, punch 156 with your mouth for such insubordination,” says Chrysalis dryly.

“I’ll try to fit her into my busy schedule,” 387 nods.

10k has no idea what happens next, because 156 leaves the throne room, and her comfortable back softly shifting up and down as she walks puts the physically and mentally exhausted drone leader to sleep.

***

The, technically, third day on the Las Pegasus Express passed without anything worth mentioning. With Smiley unable to effectively communicate, she stayed in the dining car and resorted to tackling the rest of the mysterious newspaper between meals, which she managed with the help of steward Coltsy who stopped by whenever he had some time. 99999 didn’t want to spend time away from Smiley at first, but when one member of the band stopped by and offered the drone a harmonica lesson, and when Smiley didn’t object, the course for the day was clear. Eventually, by late afternoon, the two changelings regrouped at their table in the passenger car on the information that the Express would be entering Las Pegasus soon and the crew would be busy.

The train starts slowing down as it finally reaches its destination. This time, however, it doesn’t come as a surprise to the two changelings already glued to the window and watching the city of multicolored shinies, both smiling from ear to ear in pure amazement as countless flashing signs reflect off of their blue eyes.

The intercom crackles.

“Welcome to Las Pegasus, our destination. We will be stopping shortly, and then you will have thirty minutes to disembark before the train departs for the depot. Thank you for choosing the Las Pegasus Express,” announces the conductor.

“Gasp! So many ponies everywhere!” exclaims 99999 when the platform comes into view, “And they’re wearing stuff! Look, Smiley, that mare has a thingy on her head that looks like a floppy head muncher! That one has a fluffy neck thingy that looks like a fuzzy wriggler. And that one has red eyes over her eyes and-”

By now, the other passengers are used to the changeling losing control and raising its voice in excitement. In some of the old passengers’ eyes, now that the alien bug monster factor is gone, the little drone’s joy is refreshing to see. Smiley is similar, although in her case it’s just her eyes following 99999’s pointing hoof with a dropped jaw, while her own foreleg keeps repeatedly reaching for her neck where her tablet still decidedly isn’t. For once, though, the new and extremely shiny world overrides all her worries coupled with the knowledge that despite all the hurdles the duo had to overcome, their mission is almost over.

As the train slows to a halt and the passengers are packing their things, Coltsy stops by the changelings’ table for one final time. The two, possessing only their two shoddy backpacks, are ready to go.

“I just wanted to say goodbye to you two and give you this,” he says, throwing a large sack from his back onto the table and opening it, revealing several fully packed, quality travel saddlebags, “These belonged to the ponies who tried to rob the train. I know it’s a bit morbid but you do look like you could use them. We originally wanted to give those to the Las Pegasus police, but in reality they’d just end up gathering dust in a locker somewhere. There’s a full train of witnesses and with the exception of the pegasus who fled and the dead leader we have all of them under lock and key so I doubt the bags will be particularly necessary as evidence. We went through the contents and there are travelling supplies, tools, and some bits in there. All we took was the hoof cannon and all spare ammo because that thing is insanely illegal and the police will surely want to know who is smuggling these into Equestria from the Empire.”

Without hesitation, 99999 grabs a pair, entirely ignoring any kind of moral dilemma. After all, it’s a drone, and one old rule has survived until today - a stash of a dead drone is a stash of all drones… or 10000’s. 10000 has the last word. Of course, 10000 isn’t here, which means a thing given is a thing kept.

“These are so sturdy!” it carefully bites the leather harness connecting the saddlebags, “It looks like it could survive most kinds of bitey biters back home! Smiley, grab the other two! Uhhh… how do you put these on?” it starts examining Coltsy who has a similar pair on his sides, “Hmmm…”

While Smiley has more experience seeing ponies wearing saddlebags, buckles are still a mystery, so despite her putting on the harness correctly, the straps that go under her barrel remain hanging from her sides until Coltsy offers to help.

“I can fasten those for you.”

“Yes, please!” 99999 nods, and the pony quickly tightens the saddlebag harness around the drone’s carapace. For someone so small, the two bags are almost as wide as its barrel but the drone doesn’t seem to mind whatsoever.

As Coltsy moves to help Smiley, she shakes her head and slowly does it herself, turning around for the pony to check before stopping with a quizzical expression.

“Looks all good. Well done. Now, will you be okay without your tablet? The Express will set out on the return trip tomorrow, so if you need help and can wait, I’ll be off work in an hour or two and I can help you find a new one. It’s Las Pegasus, someone’s bound to be selling blackboards around here.”

Smiley looks at 99999 and makes a circle and two lines with her hoof. It takes the drone a moment to get but it does so.

“We don’t know if we have time. We gotta check when the train to San Palomino leaves first. I’m getting better at figuring out what Smiley is trying to say, so I think we’ll be okay. All we need is a ticket and we can just wait for the train somewhere.”

“That’s good to hear,” Coltsy smiles, “Nothing else left but to wish you good luck then.”

“You too, Mister Coltsy. Thank you for being so nice to us all this time,” 99999 beams at the steward and so does Smiley while adding a little wave.

Author's Note:

A short part this time, and the rest of the chapter will be like that too. The reason is that I've finished the story and I don't know what to do next, so I'm giving myself a buffer.