• Published 6th May 2024
  • 80 Views, 2 Comments

Shadow Wars: Dawn of a New Empire - Void Streak



After embracing the dark side, Nightwing proclaims a new empire.

  • ...
 2
 80

Chapter 1

Emperor Nightwing was leading his army of Droid Soldiers through the empty streets of Canterlot. The city had been abandoned after his attempted coup, signs of his previous attack were still evident, ranging from rubble strewn across the streets to rotting corpses.

His mechanical eye, which he had made from a red gem, scanned his surroundings, ready to take down anypony, foolish enough to try and attack them. Nightwing thought it was rather foolish to abandon such a strategic city. Turning towards his forces, he ordered, "Check these buildings and make sure they are empty, if you find any survivors bring them to me."

Nightwing then entered the destroyed fort that used to be the headquarters of the League of Elementals. He searched for any clues that might point to the location of Celestia and the rest of the elementals. Not finding any, he then decided to use the aura to feel for any connection to either Celestia or even Defender, however he could sense none.

Nightwing walked up to a flag pole and cut down the Equestrian colours, before raising the flag of the Imperial Empire, which was a red flag with a black circle that has miniature spikes around its circumference, within the circle was a white symbol with the same appearance as the black symbol, surrounding the symbol was a black octagonal ring.

If he was to use the city as his new capital then he would need to repair the destruction that his forces had caused. Facing his legion of droid soldiers, he suddenly announced, "Attention Droids, We have successfully taken Canterlot and have got the enemy on the retreat. I want all APIs to be on the hunt for the retreating enemies. I want sentries on all major entrances to the city and patrols in the streets. If you find anypony, bring them directly to me, I shall be investigating the old archives."

With that, Nightwing made his way to the royal archives in search of ways to increase his power. Entering the archive, he instantly made his way to the restricted section; there he found an entire bookcase dedicated to the dark side. Sitting down at a desk, he began to examine the ancient texts, mumbling every time he found something interesting.

***

After he had finished examining the archives, Nightwing began to make several plans for new inventions that could help his new empire, he needed to make sure that everypony knew about his empire, so he began to design a droid that could project a live image of himself so that he could make public addresses without needing to be there in person, this communication droid could also make it easier to communicate with his forces and potential allies. His second plan was for a much larger project, they were blueprints for a type of airship that was large enough to house thousands of ponies, it was to essentially be a flying fortress. He called it the Sky Destroyer.

The Sky Destroyer would have a triangular design with three large rocket boosts at the rear of the ship, giving it large amounts of speed, the ship's bridge would tower over the rest of the ship. Unlike the old airships that were controlled by Celestia, the Sky Destroyer would have no open decks, making it next to impossible to board while in the air. It was to be heavily armoured and have hundreds of cannons that could shoot down any hostiles from the sky. There were also several large hangers that could house Advanced Pegasi Interceptors. Emperor Nightwing was hoping that the Sky Destroyers would be the backbone of the empire.

As soon as he had designed the Sky Destroyer, Nightwing, immediately ordered hundreds of droids to begin construction of the colossal airship, he wanted to have the Sky Destroyer up and running as soon as possible.

While construction began on the Sky Destroyer, Nightwing was in his newly created workshop, creating the new comms droids. The comms droids would be in the shape of a ball and would use tiny rocket boosters to keep themselves in the air, while it would use a projector to show the live feed of the pony that was using it. He wanted to create enough so that they could be sent out to all of Equestria, where he would give Celestia's precious little ponies a message of his own.

One good thing about using droids was that they didn't need sustenance, which meant that they didn't take up as much resources, however despite this, Nightwing knew that his empire would crumble if it had no creatures that were alive to live in it. He needed more land, however, he didn't want to start any conquests until his Sky Destroyer had been built; this wasn't because of fear that he would be beaten, no, it was because he wanted to send a message that his empire was unstoppable.

Looking out from his window towards the Skyport that was being used to build the Sky Destroyer, Nightwing knew that it would be months before it was fully operational. Suddenly an idea had come to him, as far as he was aware, Celestia nor any of the elementals hadn't been seen, not even by their own subjects, the same subjects that they were supposed to be protecting.

He then attempted to reach out with the aura to see if he could sense the elementals or Celestia, however, he still could not detect the missing princess and warriors. He knew that there being no indication of the elementals in the aura was a potential indicator that they were dead. Nightwing was no fool and instead, he felt it more probable that they were blocking him from sensing them; he had no idea of how they could be doing this, however, this also meant that as far as the citizens of Equestria were aware, their protectors and princesses had vanished, which made them more vulnerable.

With a plan in his mind, Nightwing then sent all of the comms droids to various towns and cities across Equestria, once they were in position, Emperor Nightwing began his message to the ponies of Equestria...