• Published 9th Sep 2020
  • 1,118 Views, 106 Comments

Rising Star - Argonaut44



Starlight Glimmer, after running away from her old life, must confront some old wounds when the past catches up to her.

  • ...
3
 106
 1,118

Chapter One: A New Beginning

The distant chatter of voices and splashing of boats in water seeped their way into her dreams, until they grew loud enough to pull her awake.

She opened her eyes and yawned, stretching her limbs out so far that her blanket nearly fell off the bed. She had slept well that night, despite how stiff her cheap mattress was. There was a scar that creased along her right eye, and she had a limp in one of her legs. Not everything always healed.

Starlight Glimmer climbed out of bed, fixing her hair and cleaning herself up in a matter of minutes. She made some tea, wrapped herself in a blanket, and sat down at her dining room table, to finish up a book she had started two days ago. There was only one chair at the table, as she rarely invited anypony over. Nowadays, she found lonesomeness to be more comfortable.

Her house, which consisted of a kitchen, a living room, one bedroom, and the aforementioned dining room, was all on the second story of a tiny apartment complex.

The town she lived in was mostly built atop the sea, on wooden ramparts and fixtures that rose above the icy waters. Instead of streets, ponies traveled by boats in small riverways that snaked through the town. The town was situated in the far northeast, and was buried in snow for nearly every day of the year.

Starlight didn’t mind the cold, except that it required her to start fires every now and then to keep warm. She had a phobia of fire.

Starlight had fled to this town after deserting her old life, where she was the pupil to the Princess of Friendship, Twilight Sparkle. It had been nearly five months since she had disappeared off the face of the world. Despite having so much time to cope and move on, Starlight still doubted her decision near daily.

Should I go back?
Still, the longer she remained on her own, the more comfortable she felt in her new life. It was a quiet life at that, far more dull than her former role as the number-two to one of the most powerful beings in Equestria.

Starlight finished her tea and the newspaper she was reading, and scurried down the stairs. A blast of cold air hit her as soon as she opened the door. She took a deep breath. The brisk morning wind that brushed against the sea, and the distant sound of waves crashing into each other relaxed her ever-stressed mind.

After narrowly slipping on an icy stair, Starlight reached ground level, entering the bustling streets below. On either side of the riverways were wooden walkways that were constantly crowded. Ponies here would save up all they could just to buy a boat, as it made transportation vastly more efficient. Starlight didn’t own a boat herself, but didn’t mind walking at all. She liked being just another face in the crowd.

When she had first shown up to this town, she was immediately disliked by the townsponies. Most locals were dull colored earth-ponies, with a few pegasi and untalented unicorns mixed in with them. So whenever a newcomer unicorn came, especially one as bright and noticeable as Starlight, they were bound to get some negative attention.

That bad reputation wore away after a while, as Starlight had no intention of standing out in the slightest. She made friends as naturally as she could, and most ponies who knew her would give her a smile every time she passed by.

“Hey there, Starlight!” said one bearded earth pony, cramped behind a vendor’s booth. She smiled in response. She didn’t like talking unless she had to. She hated the sound of her voice.

She had considered changing her name to make her ‘transition’ all that more serious, but decided it was best to keep it. She didn’t want to forget who she used to be, rather change herself into something better.

Starlight trotted through town, until she finally arrived at her destination, right at the centerpoint of town, where all of the riverways converged on each other. At three stories, it was the largest building in town. She opened the door to the building and closed her eyes, taking in the soft warmth of a nearby fire.

This was the town library, where Starlight worked for menial pay. She hardly cared about how many bits she made. She wanted this job not for the money, rather for the one thing she missed most about her old life, aside from the friendships she once thought she had: the books.

“Hello Starlight, dear, how are you today?” said a pale old mare, with rounded glasses that were practically falling off her nose.

“I’m good, Mrs. Honey, how are you?” Starlight responded, softly.

“Why I’m just dandy. Starlight, there’s been a new box of donations, it’s in the office, can you go sort those? I’ll be here.”

“Right away,” she said, impulsively. She liked to be given commands. She wanted every chance she could get to prove herself.

Starlight entered the office area of the library, which was built like a giant cylinder. In the center was a spiral staircase, cascading from top to bottom. The ceiling was all skylight, white light shining down all the way to the bottom level. Bookshelves lined the entire circumference of every floor. Starlight considered it a gift to be able to work here, even seeing it as confirmation that she made the right choice to leave the past behind.

Starlight reached down into the cardboard box of books, picking them up one by one with her hooves, examining them, and then putting them into categorized piles. She had resolved never to use her magic in public, to better avoid gaining any attention. She would only ever use her magic when she’d be practicing it, every day in her room at night. She’d check out books discreetly and study old spells and new spells alike, forever trying to perfect the craft.

Starlight had gained a lot of respect for herself at the library, as nearly every pony in town would end up meeting her at least once. Foals checking out books for a school project, or old ponies searching for a childhood book with sentimental value. Starlight loved to make other ponies happy, in fact it was all that really kept her going.

By late afternoon, Starlight took her leave. Normally she’d stay late into the night, but tonight was special. Tonight she was heading to the Captain’s Daughter, a local pub near the center of town. The tavern glowed a soft orange from the inside, chandelier candle flames dancing to the pianist’s jumping tunes. Here was the soul of the town, where ponies could forget about their troubles and enjoy the merriment of each other’s company.

Starlight stumbled inside the tavern on her subtle limp, her eyes darting around the room, searching. The place was packed, typical for a Friday night.

“Starlight! Over here!”

A mare’s voice caught her attention, reeling her around a corner to a circular table surrounded by three stools, two of which were filled. On the right, back turned to the bar, was the one who called out for her, a light grey-colored earth pony with wavy jet black hair and green eyes. She had a white apron on, and her hooves were covered in soot. She was a maid at a rich pony’s house at the high-end part of town, by the name of Dust Bunny.

Next to her was a stallion, also an earth pony, with curly orange-brown hair, ever-present stubble, and a faded blue coat. Anything but a role model, he gambled, drank, and cheated his way through life, refusing to ever settle down in any one line of work. At the moment, he was working for a fishing company. Both ponies had a mug of cider in their hooves.

“Hey! Sorry I’m a little late,” Starlight said, sitting down in between them. These two ponies were the closest things she had to real friends in this town. She had met them both by chance, and would act the most like her old self when around them.

“That’s no problem! Here, we already bought you a drink,” said Dust, moving a strand of hair from her eye.

“Wow, you guys, thanks!” Starlight said, picking up the drink with both hooves. Her eyes drifted over to Jackpot, who had been glaring at her since she arrived. Starlight laughed while drinking, nearly choking. She put the cup down, giggling while trying to swallow the rest down.

“What’s wrong with him?” she asked Dust. Dust smirked and eyed the stallion, who leaned back and tilted his head, waiting for Starlight to catch on.

“He,” Dust began, and then struggled to continue, already laughing, “He told me he’s refusing to talk to you until you pay him back.”

“Pay him back?! Starlight exclaimed. “For what? I don’t owe you anything!”

Jackpot remained silent, shaking his head, also trying not to laugh.

“He said you’d know what it’s about,” Dust said.

“Wrong. I don’t know anything. And he’s probably just lying. Probably down a few bits at Geronimo’s. Am I right?”

Jackpot burst into laughter.

“Correct. Am I that transparent?”

“Like a pane of glass,” Starlight said, smirking.

Starlight rolled her eyes and reached into her wallet from her bag, tossing a few bits to Jackpot, who collected them with glee.

“Next time just ask me,” Starlight said, still laughing, “You know, for a con artist, I can read you like a book.”

“Then I better be a bestseller. Also, I’m still ten bits short,” he responded, smiling.

“I just gave you fifteen! How much did you lose?”

“Let’s just say it wasn’t my best night...Blackeye Ace was there, that slimy son of a-”

“Ace was there? Then I don’t blame you. I hear he’s the best in all of the West Coast,” said Dust.

“That’s funny. You know I’m sitting right here?”

“Okay, tough guy,” Dust said, finishing her cider.

Before they could get into an argument, Starlight interjected.

“Dust, how’s the job?”

Dust stared at her, deciding whether or not she wanted to go on a rant.

“How’s my job? It sucks, Starlight. That’s what I tell you every time you ask.”

“Sorry, I just always hope it’s gotten better,” Starlight said, regretting she’d asked.

“Mr. Magnate wants me to stay over next weekend. Two whole days! Watching those demon foals of his!”

“Why didn’t you say no?” Jackpot asked, pointing at her with his half-empty mug.

“Say no!? Gee, why didn’t I think of that? He doesn’t care about me, if I say no they’ll shrink my pay and hire some other idiot. I’m basically their slave!”

Starlight stared at her friend blankly. It wasn’t that she didn’t sympathize, just that, considering how bad she had it once, Dust’s plight seemed completely benign.

“I dunno, I always say I’m going to quit, don’t I? But I probably won’t...I just hope one of these days they start treating me with a little more...y'know...respect.”

“OK Dangerfield, consider a more respectable line of work, maybe," Jackpot laughed.

“I’m taking care of that whole house, which is like six times the size of my own, mind you, plus I’ve got to look after the foals! And you’re one to talk! You can’t keep a job for longer than two weeks!” Dust retorted.

Jackpot opened his mouth to retort, until Starlight again interjected.

“If you need help around the house, Dust, I can come over. So can Jackpot, right?”

“Whoa, don’t you rope me into your charitable ventures.”

The two mares stared at him, unimpressed. He raised his eyebrow and took a drink.

“Right. Whatever you need, I’ll be there,” he muttered, rolling his eyes.

“Thank you guys, that’d be nice,” Dust said, wearily.

While the conversation shifted to less serious things, Starlight’s attention was caught by something else. Sitting behind a table at the far side of the bar was a stallion, dark grey with beady eyes. He was staring right at her, seemingly intentionally. She glanced around, uncomfortable with being stared at, as anypony would be. The stallion smiled at her softly. His eyes changed position, directing her to her right, where she saw another stallion, just as shady-looking, also staring at her. She turned her head back to her friends, who hadn’t noticed any of this. She tried to act like it was nothing, but couldn’t shake the feeling she was in danger.

A few hours later, her watchers still hadn’t left. Starlight was sweating now, trying her hardest not to panic.

“Well guys, it’s been nice, but I think I gotta hit it, it’s been a long week,” said Jackpot.

“Same,” said Dust.

“Wait, uh…” Starlight began, unsure how to ask this, “Can I...stay with one of you guys tonight?”

The other two glanced at each other, confused. Jackpot burst into laughter.

“What, like a middle school sleepover?”

Starlight hesitated.

“Sure, I guess...I just…”

Jackpot and Dust began to get the message that something was up. Jackpot glanced around, though nothing seemed out of the ordinary. Neither pony knew anything about Starlight’s old life, only that she would avoid talking about it at all costs. Jackpot hesitantly answered her.

“Sure, Starlight, you can stay at my place," he said, "I’ve gotta clean it up a little though.”

“I’ll come too. Is that okay?” Dust said, adding to Starlight’s comfort.

Jackpot laughed.

“Sure. I’d never complain about too many beautiful mares spending the night.”

“Shut up, creep,” muttered Dust, laughing.

They exited the bar together, Starlight turning back one last time. Both of the stallions had vanished. She tried her best to believe it was nothing. But she had a sinking feeling that her past was finally catching up to her.


Twilight opened one eye to see what time it was.

10:46.

She was supposed to be meeting with the mayor right then, but instead found herself laying on her bed, wrapped in her blankets, unwilling to move just one muscle. She shut her eyes tighter and buried her face deeper into her soft, silk lavender-blanketed mattress. Her peace only lasted for a few seconds.

“Twilight!!”

The door to her bedroom swung open, and in walked Spike, who was furious, though Twilight was anything but aware.

“Twilight, you need to get up. It’s almost noon! The mayor’s waiting for you!”

Twilight grumbled something unintelligible and nustled herself further into her blankets, literally hiding herself from her responsibilities.

“Fine then. I’m going into town. You need anything?”

Twilight gave no reply, leaving Spike in a heap of frustration.

“Well, I’m off. Don’t work too hard while I’m gone,” Spike spat sarcastically.

Twilight hadn’t been listening to anything Spike had been saying. His mere presence, as with anypony, only reminded her of the pony that she lost, or from her perspective, abandoned. Despite having so much time to move on, it never happened. Twilight had lost her student, her legacy, and her friend.

The search for Starlight went cold months ago, though occasionally rumors of a pink unicorn stirring up mayhem in the west caught her attention. The only place where she felt any peace was right there, in her bed, isolated from the world and its bountiful array of problems.

Spike made his way through town, hovering through the crowd of ponies in the street. He was getting tired of having to put up with Twilight’s attitude, though he knew there was little he could do alone.

He approached a local restaurant, where, in its outdoor seating area, he found Rainbow Dash, Applejack, Fluttershy, Pinkie Pie, and Rarity, all sitting and chatting.

“Hey guys.”

“Spike! Where’s Twilight? We’re inexcusably late, you know,” said Rarity.

“Twilight’s not coming, so...I guess the meeting’s off.”

“Wait, we can just...not go to these dumb things? That was an option?” Rainbow said, resentfully.

“Twilight’s not doing well, guys. She hasn’t gone anywhere in weeks! She barely even talks to me nowadays!”

“Come on now, Spike, have you really tried to talk to her?” Applejack asked, skeptically.

“Yes, Applejack, I have!” Spike retorted, defensively, “There’s something not right with her...I think she needs help.”

“Go on,” said Rarity.

“She barely eats, she lies in bed all day, and she avoids having to see anypony at all costs!”

“Does Celestia know about this?” Fluttershy asked.

“I sent her a message a week or two ago, and I got no answer. I don’t know what’s wrong with her…”

“Could it possibly be losing her one and only pupil?” Rainbow said.

“We can’t do anything about that now...and neither can she. We have to help her get past this!” Spike exclaimed.

The other ponies seemed to agree.

“She just hasn’t been the same,” said Pinkie, exaggeratedly dejected.

“Right. I thought maybe she could work it out on her own...But I think we need to intervene. It’s time we...hold on…”

Feeling woozy, Spike spontaneously belched a burst of fire, producing a parchment scroll tied with a red ribbon.

“Oh, great timing,” said Rainbow.

“What does it say, Spike?” Applejack asked.

“It says...it...Celestia...she wants Twilight...and all of you, to come to Canterlot, immediately!”

“Oh, fantastic! Let me go grab my things,” said Rarity, trotting off.

Applejack approached Spike while the others accepted the summoning and left to prepare.

“Spike, you be careful with Twilight, she ain’t okay...”

“I know...I will…”


“Hey, can I get some help with this?”

In the southwest of Equestria was a small, rather unremarkable village, built in a large plain of grass, under the endless blue sky. The village was sparsely populated, numbering only about two hundred. In this village were two foals, old enough to have chores to do around their parent’s stores, but young enough to not be very good at them. One, Buck, was balancing precariously on an old ladder, trying to repaint the front door frame of his parents’ hardware store. The other, Bolt Cutter, had just arrived, and, at his friend’s behest, came to his aid, holding the ladder steady from the ground. It was a quiet morning, the rustling of the wind in the grass and the creaking of old signs the only sounds to be heard.

That was, until they started hearing screaming, and a large crash.

“What was that?” asked Bolt from the ground, startled

“I don’t know, we’ll find out later. Can you just hold it steady?”

Bolt kept his hooves on the ladder, though his attention was on the source of the commotion, down the street and around the corner, where more screams began to draw.

“Uh...dude, I think we should-”

“Just hold the ladder! I’m almost done.”

The sounds of cut-off screams and crashing grew louder, enough to cause several ponies to exit their houses and see what all the fuss was about.

On the ladder, Buck paid no attention to whatever was happening. He and his father had gotten in an argument last night, the pain of which lingered in the young foal’s heart. Painting this stupid door frame, as he saw it, was a way of proving himself as worth something.

His mind was so fixated on that emotional obligation, that he barely noticed when the ladder shook slightly, and Bolt Cutter’s scream joined that of the others. Buck snapped out of his brooding and realized what was happening. There was a fire spreading across the town that consumed every building and pony it came across, raging with the anger of an army of stallions. Buck glanced down at the ground and saw the spot where his friend used to be, now a charred corpse, blackened like coal, flesh and muscle ripped right off the bone. He was dead, as dead as anything possibly could be.

Buck didn’t even scream, he was so in shock. Jumping down from the ladder, he spun around slowly, disoriented, taking in the heat of the growing flames and the sounds of screaming ponies. He saw three ponies run from around a street corner, terrified of whatever was behind them. Instinctively, the foal jumped behind an alleyway dumpster, peeking out from around the edge.

He saw all three ponies go down, burned alive in an instantaneous flash of light. Then he saw who did it, a unicorn, pink coat, purple hair with a teal streak. He backed up slightly, afraid he’d be spotted by whoever this pony was, who was wreaking havoc like no other pony he’d ever seen. He saw the unicorn step down on the throat of one pony who had managed to survive, pressing down so hard that the pony succumbed to the asphyxiation, dying slowly, and undoubtedly painfully.

The unicorn’s head shot up towards the foal’s dumpster, and smiled. The foal backed up behind it completely, pale as a ghost.

Did she see me?

He suddenly felt himself go lighter than air, and realized he was now ten feet above the ground, slowly being pulled out into the open. He fought as hard as he could against the magical restraints that were levitating him, but found himself rendered absolutely helpless. It was the unicorn who had a hold on him, pulling him closer towards her in the middle of the blazing inferno that was once his home. Soon they were at eye level, the foal shaking under the hot, sinister stare of the unicorn, who wore a devilish smirk, proud with her work.

“Don’t be afraid, little boy, I’m not going to hurt you…”

Buck, naturally, didn’t believe her. She pulled him a bit closer.

“I need you to answer me...truthfully, okay?”

The foal didn’t answer, which annoyed the unicorn.

“I said, okay?” she said again, jostling the foal in the air like a rag doll.

The foal nodded, shaking with fear.

“Good. Now, and remember, tell me the truth. Do you know where Canterlot is?”

The foal hesitated, nodding slowly.

“You do? Fantastic. Which way is it?”

After a brief moment of hesitation to make sure he was correct, the foal slowly motioned with his head to his back right. The unicorn’s unsettling smile grew even wider, and even more unsettling.

“That’s correct! Good job! Now...here’s what I want you to do...I want you to...run over there, to Canterlot...that way...and I want you to remember everything you’ve seen here today...you tell them that it was Starlight Glimmer who did it, and you tell them what I look like, got it? Tell them I’m waiting for them.”

The foal nodded again, on the verge of tears. She dropped him to the ground, the foal immediately getting up and scurrying away, trying to get as far from the wreckage of his town. The unicorn smiled, taking a good whiff of the musty smell of smoke and fresh pony corpses. Still smirking, she licked her lips, and then muttered under her breath,

“Wait til they get a load of me.”

Author's Note:

Short intro chapter, thanks for reading!