• Published 29th Apr 2024
  • 739 Views, 56 Comments

Mr Monk Goes to Ponyville - -TheStoryteller-



Obsessive, compulsive, germophobic, but also a complete GENIUS, Adrian Monk, San Francisco's "Defective Detective" begins the most unusual case of his entire life!

  • ...
1
 56
 739

The Case Intensifies...

"Mister Monk! Thank goodness I found you!"

Monk turned his head and let out a screech as a horse with a blonde mane came running up to him from out of the foliage! For just a moment, he'd imagined he had heard it speaking, but his ears must have been playing tricks on him.

Then, it spoke again.

"Mr. Monk! It's me, Natalie! Natalie Teeger! Are you alright?!"

He shrank away from it and muttered, "How...how are you talking?" He looked around. "And where am I?" The Forest was bathed in the light of a setting Sun that was much brighter and clearer than he was used to, along with plants he didn't recognize. He could hear chirruping from various insects, as well as the sounds of other animals rustling near, and he fought down his growing urge to panic. The horse was speaking again.

"This place is called 'Equestria,' and there's a town nearby called, 'Ponyville.'" She smiled as she added, "The ponies there are quite friendly, and they offered to help us once I told them what happened."

Just as he was about to speak, he heard more rustling, and several more horses appeared from behind the first one. One was pink with an unruly, unkept, poofy mane; another was yellow with long pink hair, an orange one wearing a cowboy hat, and the last one was purple. Before any could speak, Monk looked around at them all, held up a hoof, said, "Nope," and then promptly fainted.


Away from prying eyes, the Captain had pulled the Doctor on his gurney to a back room for a little "friendly talk."

"I don't accept you 'don't know anything,' Feynman!" growled Stottlemeyer. He pointed angrily out to the laboratory. "You called all that your 'life's work!' That means you have more information than one little hand-held box!" The Doctor shrank back on the gurney as the Captain leaned down into his face. "You are going to tell me how we get our friends back NOW, or being cut in half will be the least of your worries..." he said in a quiet, dangerous voice.

"You...you can't threaten m...me like this, Captain! You're a police officer..." quavered the Doctor, as he held up his hands defensively. But Stottlemeyer simply smiled.

"If you fail to get my friends back, as far as YOU are concerned, I won't be..."

Randy had been watching the door when he suddenly said, "Captain? We have company...." Leland joined him at the door and leaned to the side, watching as two tall men in black suits walked into the laboratory.

The Doctor propped himself up on his arms to see for himself, then his face blanched. "Captain? We need to leave. Right this moment!"

Leland and Randy looked back at him. "Why? What's the problem?" asked Randy.

"No time to explain, but they're not here to help us! We need to get out of here!" The two officers looked back just in time to see the men put on dark sunglasses as they stood with their backs to them, took something out of their coats, and flashed it at the police and medical personnel who were still in the lab. The cops and meds then became catatonic and immobile. Leland had seen enough.

He quietly closed the door, and then looked frantically around the room. "There has to be another way out of here, Feynman!" The Doctor pointed.

"Behind those boxes! Hurry!"

The two officers ran to the boxes and started quietly pulling them down and setting them aside, as the Doctor kept an eye on the door. "They're coming..." he whispered. The two men threw the remaining crates noisily out of the way, exposing a final, wooden door, as Leland ran to the Doctor and picked him up. He cradled him to his chest and ran just as he heard the two men smashing their way into the room, then bolted through the door as Randy followed and shut it behind them.

"There's no lock!" he shouted as he closed the door, but Leland kept running with his burden.

"Randy! F...forget it!" puffed Stottlemeyer, "...just run!" They'd only made it halfway down the dark hallway when they heard the wooden door smash open and then the sounds of pursuit. The officers crashed through the final exit and ran to their car, as Leland jumped into the back with the doctor and Randy fell into the driver's seat.

"Go, GO!!" screamed Stottlemeyer, as Randy fumbled in his pockets for the keys. Leland looked up, saw the two men approaching, and locked the car doors. "Randy...? We need to move...NOW..." he quietly said.

Randy finally got the keys out and put them in the ignition, just as the men reached the car and took out a long, shiny, cylindrical device and held it to the window. "COVER YOUR EYES!!" screamed Feynman, as he closed his own and slapped his hand over Stottlemeyer's face.

But, Randy wasn't so lucky.

There was a flash, and the two men in the car heard him say, "Huh?" and then go completely still.

The men in the black suits smiled, and then one said, "Open the door, Officer Disher." Just as Randy's hand was moving to the automatic lock, Stottlemeyer pushed his lieutenant bodily out of the way, leaped over the seat, turned the keys, and floored it, roaring out of the parking lot.

As they sped down the road and out into the city, Leland shouted, "Who were those guys?!" He looked down at Randy. "And what did they do to him?!"

Feynman pushed himself up to a "sitting" position and sighed. "They've been following me for years, trying to steal my work." He looked Leland in the eyes through the rearview mirror and added, "...they're...not nice people..."


When Monk opened his eyes, for just a moment, he thought he was back in his apartment. He was lying on a soft bed, in a darkened room, and all was quiet. Then he sloooowly turned his head to the right...then shrieked and sat up as he saw that same blonde horse sitting beside him and smiling. "Mr. Monk! Please! Calm down! You're safe now!" cried the horse, as she got to her hooves with a worried look on her horsey face.

He gazed around the room. The walls were made of some strange, purple crystal, with lanterns that didn't look like they were electric. There was a wooden desk and chair, along with a table and other chairs. To his left was a fireplace, with a multi-colored rug placed in front of it. Then, he held up his former feet and stared at them. "What...what happened to me?" He held them out to the horse and demanded, "What is going on?" The horse sighed and began.


"Get OFF of me!" screamed Natalie, as she elbowed Tennyson in his stomach. She succeeded in freeing herself, then turned around and drew back a fist, preparing to flatten his nose, and then froze in shock. She...wasn't looking at a Human anymore! What she saw was a brown horse, wearing clothes, and clutching its stomach with one hoof! Then, she looked down at herself. Her "fist" was no longer a hand but a hoof, and she screamed as she saw it! "What's happening?! Where are we?!" she demanded. The horse had a long, black mane, and stared up at her through it...and smiled.

Holding up the device in his other hoof, he grinned and said, "Welcome to another planet, girlie! Or should I say...unicorn!" He tucked the device into one of his pockets and said, "Three days! That's how long you have to live if the Doctor doesn't come through! I'll be popping back to check on him for my information, and in the meantime, I'll be watching you!" He got to his hooves and galloped off through the underbrush and past the trees, but not before yelling over his shoulder, "Three daaaaaaaayyys..."

Natalie stared at his fleeting form with a flat expression. "He sounds like a comic-book villain," she thought to herself. Then one of his last statements came back to her. Unicorn? She looked down at her hoof, and then slowly brought it up to her forehead. She gasped as she felt something long and pointy, then stared cross-eyed up at it. "Oh my gosh...I AM a Unicorn!" She giggled like a teenager and pranced in place. "This is so great!" then she quickly sobered. "Mr. Monk! I saw him trying to follow us!" She looked around the forest, seeing nothing but trees and plants, and hearing nothing but insects and possibly small animals. She shielded her eyes as she gazed up at a Sun that was at high noon, which was also much bigger and closer than it was on Earth. She started yelling, "Mr. Monk! Where are you?" as she began galloping through the trees, searching back and forth.

She soon came to a path and began trotting down it, then stopped when she saw what looked like a town in the distance. She swallowed as she saw other creatures like herself walking about the place, but they seemed friendly, so she drew a deep breath, held her head high, and trotted into the town.

Only to be almost immediately bowled over by a pink pony up in her face yelling, "Oh my GOSH are you NEW?! I've never seen you before, so you MUST be NEW!! Welcome!!"

Natalie shrank back and held her hooves up to her chest, as the pink pony then grabbed one of them and began shaking it. "Hi! I'm Pinkie Pie! What's YOUR name?! Where did you come from?! How long will you be staying?! Do you like PARTIES?! I LOVE parties!"

This might have gone on for several more minutes before another pony, this time an orange one in a cowboy hat, of all things, said, "Pinkie! Give the gal a break!" The orange one smiled at the frazzled newcomer and added, "Sorry about that, hon, but Pinkie can be a little...excitable. Pay her no mind." She tipped her hat and said, "Ah'm Applejack. Pleased ta meet ya!"

Natalie looked down at her hoof, and said, "Natalie...Natalie Teeger..." Looking around she said, "What is this place? And who are you people?" Applejack exchanged a glance with Pinkie, then raised an eyebrow.

"You...ain't from around here, are yah?" Natalie shook her head.

"No. And I need your help to find my friend." She pointed back to the forest. "He may be in there somewhere, lost, and I have to find him before he freaks out!" To their puzzled expressions, she explained, "If he's changed into a pony like I did, he...won't take it well. He's very persnickety."

They both stared at her, and then Applejack said, "Y'all...better have a talk with Twilight. She's the brainy one in this here Town; she'll know what to do."


"...and so after talking to Twilight, who is a Princess, by the way, we organized a search party and found you! So here we are!"

Monk looked at her, looked down at his hooves, then leaned back into his pillows, stared at the ceiling, and sighed. "Talking ponies. Unicorns. Princesses." He looked back at her. "What's next: 'Fairies?' 'Elves?' 'Dragons?'"

At this last, Natalie bit her bottom lip and replied nervously, "Umm...funny you should mention dragons, Mr. Monk..." Right on cue, the door opened, and a small, purple and green dragon came in wearing an apron and carrying a covered tray.

"Dinnertime!" the dragon announced cheerfully. It marched up to the bed and placed the tray on the new pony's lap, as it sat there frozen, staring silently at him. The dragon pulled the covering off with a flourish and said, "Twilight thought you may be hungry, so I made some sauteed carrots, steamed wild rice, fried mushrooms, and a BIG glass of milk to wash it all down! Enjoy!" The dragon smiled at the ponies and then left, as Monk still sat frozen.

"Natalie?" he said in a quiet, steady voice.

"Yes, Mr. Monk?"

"My food is touching each other..."

"I'm sorry, Mr. Monk!" She moved forward, but he held up a hoof to stop her, then he pointed.

"That's milk."

"I know, Mr. Monk, I'll take care of it!" She concentrated and lit her horn, encasing the glass in a glow that matched her mane, then moved it carefully away and onto a nearby table. Monk's eyes tracked all this without moving his head as he still sat frozen.

Then he said, "Natalie? I'd...like to be alone for a moment, if you don't mind?"

"Of course, Mr. Monk, I understand!" She hesitated, then asked, "Would...would you like me to see if I can find you some other plates, so we can separate your food?" He nodded.

"That would be nice."

As she left the room and closed the door, she was only halfway down the hall before she heard him scream.