• Published 1st Apr 2024
  • 242 Views, 131 Comments

Marking the Generations – Part Four - Glimbursts



The fourth part of Marking the Generations, a reimagining of the later stages of the Make your Mark series. Equestria is under attack! Can our heroes stand united to prevail against Opaline or will she be free from her castle prison?

  • ...
0
 131
 242

Chapter Twenty-Four – Back to the Past

Sometime after the coronation of Princess Twilight Sparkle as ruler of Equestria.
Seconds after Sunset Shimmer and Starlight Glimmer were ‘abducted’ by the Cutie Map.

Twilight’s eyes widened as she stared toward the now deactivated cutie map with shock.

“T...Twilight,” Spike gasped. “What happened? Where are they?”

“I...I don’t know,” Twilight replied in shock. “Nononono, this shouldn’t happen. How did this happen? Why did it happen?”

She rose to her hoofs and started walking towards the map, her mind spinning. She didn’t get far when suddenly there was another blinding flash from the ceiling.

Twilight shielded her eyes with a wing as a cylinder of white energy shot downward and joined the edge of the map table. The same inscriptions of clocks and gears appeared in the energy. Spiralling downwards this time as the energy appeared to enter the table.

Spike gasped as he realised there was no rushing wind this time. Therefore, he ran forwards alongside Twilight. Both looked on in hope as the energy dissipated. Their breaths got caught in their throats as their prayers were answered.

Both Sunset and Starlight were lying on the map table. Their eyes were closed as they lay on their stomachs. Sunset groaned as she began to move, soon followed by Starlight. Slowly, their eyes opened, and they took in their surroundings.

“We...We made it back then,” Sunset groaned.

“Looks like it,” Starlight replied with a small sad smile.

They both turned their heads towards Twilight and Spike who both burst into beaming smiles of relief.

“Starlight, Sunset,” Twilight beamed. “You’re okay, what happened?”

“It’s kind of a long story,” Sunset admitted as she rose to her hoofs.

“A long story?” Spike frowned. “But you were gone for less than a minute.”

“Yeah, it wasn’t for us,” Starlight responded as she also rose to her hoofs.

Both carefully walked towards the edge of the table before they hopped down. Twilight hurried over and put her hoofs around them both.

“I’m just glad you’re both okay,” Twilight sighed. “Now I’ve got a chance to think straight. The clocks and gears, was that some kind of time spell?”

“Yeah, it was,” Starlight replied. “Nothing to do with me, I swear.”

“Where did you go? How did you get back?” Spike asked excitedly as he hovered next to them.

“Well, we went to the distant future,” Sunset replied as she opened her saddle bag and smiled. “We made some new friends.”

She lifted out the framed photograph. Looking at it warmly before turning it for Twilight and Spike to see.

It was a photo of all of them, Sunny in the middle flanked by Sunset and Starlight. Laid down at their hoofs were Misty and Sparky then hovering above them were Pipp and Zipp. Finally, on either side were Izzy and Hitch.


Twilight and Spike both looked at the photo in awe.

“So, they’re from the future, how far?” Twilight asked.

Sunset and Starlight looked at each other before Sunset turned to respond. “Actually, we don’t really know…”

She trailed off, gasping as her eyes widened and she froze, seemingly staring into nothingness.

“Sunset?” Twilight asked worriedly.

Sunset grunted as she suddenly blinked. Shaking her head violently as if she were shaking something from her mind. “Shoot,” she groaned.

“What was it?” Starlight asked knowingly.

“I…I need to be getting back to CHS,” Sunset sighed. “I don’t think Principal Celestia is best pleased I’ve cut class.”

“Wait, how?” Twilight frowned before her expression softened. “Actually, if you need to get back to CHS you can explain later, Sunset. In fact, you both can when there is more time. I assume you’ve got a school to look after too, Starlight?”

“Yeah, sort of,” Starlight replied thoughtfully. “I have a little time as Sunburst and Trixie thought I was going on a quest. Actually no, I think they would be happier to see me back at the school as soon as possible.”

“Well, we kind of did go on a quest,” Sunset grinned before she sighed and looked worriedly at Starlight and Twilight. “I’d be lying if I didn’t say it would be nice to stay here for a bit. But the more I think about it, the more I think getting back as quickly as possible would be the best idea.”

“A teleport back to the portal then,” Twilight assumed which got a confirmatory nod from Sunset.

“I can’t remember how long it’s been since I left,” Sunset explained. “Wait, I think there was a bell as I entered the portal. So, if I hurry, I might only miss one class, or maybe just the two morning classes.”

“Okay, it still baffles me that you’re talking like it’s been ages since you were here,” Twilight admitted. “But you can explain later. Are you ready?”

“Let's arrange to meet in Canterlot as soon as possible,” Starlight smiled as she pulled Sunset into a hug.

“Yeah, we can get that journal sorted that we discussed,” Sunset smiled. “Good Luck with the School of Friendship, I’ll totally keep that offer in mind.”

“Good luck with Principal Celestia,” Starlight winked.

After they finally broke off the hug, Sunset moved closer to Twilight and nodded.

“We’ll be in touch, Starlight,” Twilight said as her horn glowed.


With that, there was a flash and Starlight found herself alone. She sighed and looked around the empty throne room. “Yeah, this place is way too lonely now,” she muttered.

Suddenly, Starlight gasped and blinked with realisation. She opened her saddle bag and grinned as she saw her copy of the photograph Izzy had given her.

However, she also blinked at seeing a few bound manuscripts. Withdrawing one, she gasped at what she saw on the first page.

Dear Starlight,

Discord popped in and suggested that this would be important for you to have. Therefore, we got it photocopied for you. We hope it doesn’t break anything in the timeline.

Good Luck with the School of Friendship, we’ll always remember you. We’re already looking for messages from you.

You’re friends,

Sunny and Zipp.

Starlight frowned as she opened the pages and flicked through. Gasping she realised it was Mage Meadowbrook’s instructions on the magic plaster cast and muscle treatment.

“Why would I need this?” she pondered.

Then she remembered Discord’s words about helping Sunset when she needed it.

“Oh, Celestia I hope not,” she blinked.


Principal Celestia walked with purpose through the hallways of Canterlot High School. As she neared a classroom she frowned as a bell rang out. It was the end of the second period and the girls she wanted to see were just about to be dismissed.

Sure enough, the classroom door opened and the six girls in question walked out. “Girls, a word please.”

Twilight gasped and turned towards the principal, quickly followed by Rarity, Fluttershy and the others.

“Yes, Principal Celestia,” Twilight said through a plastered-on smile that was fooling nobody.

Principal Celestia’s expression immediately hardened as she crossed her arms. “Care to explain where Sunset Shimmer is? I’ve heard conflicting reports.”

“In what way?” Rainbow Dash replied with a nervous grin.

“Well, the absence reports say she’s sick,” Principal Celestia explained. “However, I saw Sunset arrive this morning and she looked completely fine. Also, Vice Principal Luna mentioned seeing her in the corridor, running towards the exit just before first period this morning.”

Twilight looked to the others with concern. Their silence only caused Celestia to look more sternly at them.

“Look, I know there is often a lot happening with you girls,” Principal Celestia sighed. “Whatever is going on with Sunset I need to know.”

Suddenly, the sound of a door opening behind the group of girls made them all look in that direction.

“I’m here, I’m here,” Sunset panted with one hand on the door.

“Ah, Sunset,” Principal Celestia smiled. “Care to explain where you’ve been all morning?”

Sunset took a deep breath and shakily took a step forward as she opened her bag. “It’s kind of hard to explain,” she responded.

“Honestly, most things are with you,” Principal Celestia sighed as her expression softened. “However, you can trust me Sunset, what’s going on?”

Sunset couldn’t help giving a small smile as she withdrew the framed photograph. “I kind of had a summons from Equestria,” she explained. “Like an idiot, I told my friends to cover for me instead of just telling you the truth.”

She passed the photo to Principal Celestia who blinked in confusion at the group of ponies who looked back at her.

“It’s going to take a while to fully explain,” Sunset smiled at both her principal and friends. “Could I explain to everypony, err, everyone at once?”

“Okay, let’s head to my office then,” Principal Celestia responded as she handed Sunset the photo.

Sunset couldn’t help smiling as she looked at the photograph as she and her friends followed their principal. Suddenly, she couldn’t wait to tell them all about her adventure.