• Published 4th May 2024
  • 71 Views, 1 Comments

Brushstroke - WonderShy101



Toola Roola finds an old box filled with paint, but what else is it filled with?

  • ...
 1
 71

Chapter 3

Chapter 3

The next morning couldn't have started sooner for Tooly. As soon as dawn broke, and with excitement, she takes the small box of paint and begins the process of giving them life again from not being used in so long. Simply using water and one of her brushes, Tooly carefully and gently mixes the different colors together, their bright colors shining through once again within their little tubs. After testing out a small amount of paint on a small sheet of paper, Tooly breathes out at her accomplishment, and closes the box to get ready to start the day, and to prepare for Scootaloo's awesome new painting!

Closing the box, Tooly takes in the old smell of wood and paint from the box and realizes that she hasn't noticed it before. It's a strong smell, but it's not overbearing nor stinky at all, in fact, it feels almost bittersweet, nostalgic even.

Also realizing that she should be heading out now, Tooly quickly grabs her things, including the small box with paint, and her trusty paintbrushes, and puts them in her satchel. She trots out the door towards Scootaloo's house.

After a few minutes, Tooly makes it to the young pony's home. All of her friends are there as well to watch the process, and to encourage Scootaloo to keep still during the long process.

"Think of it as like a game, Scoots. If you stay still, you'll win a prize!" Pinkie Pie reassures her.

"Oooh! I hope my prize is a new skateboard!" Scootaloo jumps in the air in excitement, her mind wandering at the many things she could possibly win.

"How about a painting as a gift instead?" Tooly says, flashing her a caring smile.

Scootaloo stops bouncing around to shrug. "I guess a FREE painting would be nice too."

Everybody laughs at Scootaloo's carefree response. After setting up the easel and the paint from the box, Tooly sits down on her stool, and Scootaloo gets into position by hopping onto her scooter and fastening her helmet on her head.

Tooly then gives her some directions, "Ok Scoots, you can be in any pose you want! Just make sure it's comfortable enough for you to keep still for a little while longer while I paint. Remember: even the slightest movement can be a HUGE change!"

"All right, all right. I get it. Not moving, keeping still, I promise Tooly, I'm going to be just fine!" Scootaloo waves her hoof, reassuring Tooly in a playful manner.

"I wouldn't keep promises like that if I knew I wouldn't keep them, Scoots, but I have absolute faith in you." Rainbow Dash nods her head.

"Sounds like you're being sarcastic, Rainbow..." Scootaloo droops her head. Chuckling to herself, Tooly gets ready, and so does Scootaloo.

Sweetie Belle prepares food for everyone as they watch Tooly gently glide her brush across the canvas. The paint within the box shows beautifully within the sunlight, and every stroke seems to excite Tooly more and more as the picture comes to life through a magnificent and vibrant array of colors. The paint on the brush feels light, like nothing is on the brush as Tooly uses each color, and surprisingly, Scootaloo actually keeps still throughout, although her facial expressions and obvious frustration to move around is evident.

Tooly puts the finishing touches on the paint, giving Scoots the go-ahead to move again after being static for a moment. "Ok, Scoots. you can move now. I'm just putting some finishing touches to it, then you can see!" She says cheerfully, continuing quietly.

Scootaloo stretches, breathing in and out with a loud huff, and Sweetie Belle offers her some fruits to eat. "Here you go, Scoots! Standing still surely would've made you hungry!"

Scootaloo takes an apple and bites into it, savoring the ripe taste. "Who knew that standing still is so much work! Good thing Tooly is good at it, right Tooly?"

Tooly doesn't answer.

"Tooly?" Scoots says again. By then, everyone goes to check on the finished painting, and to their amazement, the painting that Tooly created of Scootaloo is nothing like they've seen before from Tooly. It looks the same as all of her other marvelous paintings, but something felt different about it, yet none of them could put their hooves on it.

As for Tooly, Tooly stares at the painting, almost like in a trance again. The painting seems to move slowly and whimsically, almost like a dream, transporting Tooly to a wonderous world filled with vibrant colors and streaks of paint. Tooly watches the painting of Scootaloo riding carelessly on her scooter, and seemingly having a grand'ol time. Tooly smiles, her eyes seemingly empty as she sinks deeper and deeper within the painting, the commotion and excitement from her friends drowned out completely.

Suddenly, Tooly's smile fades as a scene unfolds that was not drawn within the painting at all. Instead of Scootaloo just riding around, she moves out of the painting! Tooly whips around to follow her movements, and the drawn Scootaloo, while silent, rides around everyone within the real world, but the problem is, not one else but Tooly can see what's happening around them.

Cheerilee notices Tooly's sudden change in behavior and walks up to her, seemingly worried. "Tooly? What's the matter? Do you not like the painting?" She asks.

Tooly doesn't hear anything that she's saying, and only seeing her lips moving in slow motion as the painted Scootaloo continues to ride away.

"Scootaloo, wait a moment!" Tooly yells, and chases after her, completely forgetting that she's just a painting, and the real one is watching in confusion.

"Um, I'm right here-hey! Where are you going?!" Scootaloo yells out for her.

"I guess she doesn't like the painting?" Sweetie Belle says confusingly.

"No, something else is wrong, we gotta go after her, and quickly!" Pinkie Pie says, and all of them begin to follow Tooly closely behind.

Tooly, still in a daze, follows the painted Scootaloo, who is carelessly and without emotion, rides through the town and towards the bridge that crosses the river.

Tooly gasps, "W-wait! Scootaloo! Watch out for the bridge! And the river!"

In that moment, the painted Scootaloo, with empty eyes, stares into Tooly's eyes, before speeding up. Completely missing the bridge, Scootaloo uses her scooter to jump forward and into the river, but before she could do so, Tooly hops into the water to try and save her.

"Tooly!" Tooly hears the faint yells of her friends from above the water as she sinks into the water. Looking around for Scootaloo, Tooly spots the morphed form of the young pony. The painted Scootaloo stops moving, and simply melts away quietly within the water...

To be continued...

Author's Note:

I feel like the ending and the cliffhanger is a little short.... Also let me know if there are any mistakes.

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment