• Published 13th Dec 2021
  • 194 Views, 5 Comments

Daring Do and the A-peel-ing Treasure - Chrome Masquerade



Daring Do goes on a quest for a new artifact, a quite... different quest indeed.

  • ...
 5
 194

Chapter 1 - Chewing the Fhaat

Daring Do was on the trail of a new treasure. Lately, she'd been doing a lot less adventuring than she used to, being more careful of late to find treasures that were un-Guarded.

This time, she felt that she'd need some assistance, so she got two of the most trustworthy ponies she could think of. As she was explaining to one of them, as they were waiting in a restaurant in Manehattan.

"So... Why invite us?" Rainbow Dash queried.

Daring Do replied, "This isn't a treasure that I can get on my own. So I got you and the strongest available pony that was nearby - and free for the time being."

"Eeyup." Big Macintosh concurred in his usual minimalistic way. He typically didn't speak more than one word at a time, but when he did, it was usually a good idea to listen to him.

At that point a rotund stallion sat at the other end of the table. "Iyi taniştim, ser." he greeted.

"Iyi taniştim." Daring replied, with a nod.

"May your future foals be happy and wise." the stallion continues

"May your shoes never wear out." Daring returned.

"May your path ever be straight and true." the stallion finished

"May your gum never lose its flavour." Daring said, joking slightly, to the newcomer's delight.

"What a wonderful sense of humour, madam." he said, sitting back, the chair creaking slightly. "I an Fhaat Gai, Allow me to introduce you to my bodyguard, Rhamiit." he added, gesturing to a large stallion who was partially in the shadows. If he hadn't been pointed out, one could've been forgiven for not noticing his presence at all, despite his size. "He is trained in six styles of martial arts, can go for days without eating more than a granola bar or drinking more than a cupful of water. You may have noticed that he's very stealthy, despite having 94% muscle mass." Having been fully introduced, Rhamiit nodded silently.

Daring Do said, in turn, "I am Daring Do. These are my associates. This is Rainbow Dash," she said, indicating the other mare, "the fastest pegasus in Equestria. She's also a black-belt in karate and is similarly well versed in Kung Fu, Wing Chun and weather control. And this," she added, indicating her stallion partner, "is Big Macintosh, of the widely spread Apple family. He's strong enough to pull small houses, frequently carries several hundred pounds of weight working on his family's farm, and is well versed in White Demon and Stone Immortal styles. He also makes a mean breakfast. Don't let his looks fool you; he's wiser than he seems."

"Well met indeed." Fhaat Gai said, nodding.

"Now, enough of the pleasantries; You know why I'm here." Daring Do said, getting to business.

"Yes, I do."

"And what I'm here for?"

"Yes, I do."

"And why I want it?"

"Yes, I do."

"Then would you mind refreshing my memory?"

"We are here to unite our halves of the Holy Ankh, miss."

"Right, I remember now."

"Together, they should lead us to the Banana of Bombay."

Daring addressed her friends, "You see, the Banana of Bombay is a reference to the old banana peel gag, and you remember that one." Rainbow smiled and Big Mac chuckled, adding "Eeyup."

"Supposedly it'll also refresh every ten minutes, if necessary. Given the time, it could feed an entire country. If we find it first, I plan to bring it to a museum for all to see and enjoy."

"And If we find it first, I," Fhaat Gai said, "intend to sell it to the highest bidder."

"We'll see, we'll see." Daring said, eyes narrowing slightly.

Reaching into her Pocket, which most ponies have by nature, she produced her half of the Ankh, as the large stallion did the same. Reaching forward, they united the halves of the Ankh, which floated in the air briefly, before Daring snatched it. "You didn't really think I'd just give it to you, did you?" she taunted.

"Actually... no, I did not." Fhaat Gai said, snapping his fingers, summoning a couple dozen goons to his side. "Get me that Ankh!" he ordered.

Daring looked to Rainbow Dash briefly, saying, "See why I needed you two now?"

Rainbow Dash took on a combat stance. "I see now." she said, nodding once.

Big Mac entered his own combat stance, also nodding.

Daring Do pulled out a pair of Steel Knuckles, slipping them on.

As a loose group, the goons dashed forward. Rainbow was the first to engage, scoring a hit on two of the opponents at once. Pushing them back, she grabbed their ties and pulled them forward again, knocking their heads together.

Big Mac hefted one of the goons, throwing him and knocking over several others.

One of the stallions pulled out a pistol and aimed for Daring's head, only to get a fast spinning ball of wind to the hand, knocking the gun from his grip, before getting a gut punch from Rainbow Dash, who taunted, "Bringing a gun to a fist fight? Naughty, naughty." Sensing two more coming up behind her, she fell forward onto her hands, curling up and stretching out, simultaneously delivering two perfectly timed kicks to those intending to catch her off guard.

Daring struck one opponent (this one a mare) in the left arm, briefly rendering it useless, before she swept her hooves out from under her, at the same time tripping up two others. bringing her fists together, she delivered a double-punch to the sternum of one, sending them fairly flying into a few others and causing them to knock over a table.

By now there was enough space for the trio to make a break for it. First, Daring tossed a sack of bits to the bartender. "That's for the table and the window."

"Huh?" the bartender queried, "What window?"

Big Mac leapt through one window, allowing the three of them to dash off into the night, well beyond the range of Fhaat Gai's goons.


Reaching Daring Do's new research room, she scanned the Ankh for any enchantments, trying to determine how to use it.

At length, she exclaimed, "Ah ha!". She then set it on a nearby table, pointing at a wall. Shining s green light through the Ankh's space, the light spread forth, displaying a map of the world... or part of it, anyway.

"This is only part of a map." Daring observed. "It seems that there should be another in Prance, at a certain... Cafe de Fleurs." She made to move along. "Allons 'y, mes amis." Noticing that the two weren't following, she turned back. "Well? Are you coming?"

They said in unison "Oh!" and followed.