Vinyl Scratch 1,694 members · 705 stories
Comments ( 7 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 7

okay, I've agonized over this long enough already and decided to just start writing it. basically it's a story with little to no dialogue, it'll take place in the Canterlot symphony hall, and Octavia will be giving a solo performance on her cello. Then Vinyl crashes her performance and challenges her to a cello duel. apparently Vinyl has her own custom cello. oh yeah, did I mention both mares have electric cellos, and that a large grouping from Ponyville is attending the impromptu duel after Octavia and Vinyl have lived there for a few years now?

Good! here's what I'd like help with: I put together an extensive song list that they'll go through. I'd like to run it by someone to get a little feedback. more of the overall story will be explained, and if you have song suggestions to add in, or think I'd do better removing one I already listed, then you'll definitely be credited for it. this is sort of my own headcannon, and any future Octavia/Vinyl stories I write after this will be prequels to this event. I just wanted to start out with something new that no one has read before.

so to recap: need someone to look at my song list, suggest additions or removals, maybe even collab with me on the story, and possibly provide a little editing for spelling and punctuation errors, especially those typos that are spelled correctly but are the wrong word to use. :derpytongue2:

FINALLY! A fanfic involving these two badflanks playing together! Although the competition aspect wasn't something I could've predicted, but it works, nevertheless. :)
I'd be glad to help you out on two of your subjects: the song list and reviewing the text for grammar and spelling errors.
I love music and can definitely try to give some advice on the song list, provided you give me an idea of what context you're planning on playing each song in. :P
And when it comes to spelling and grammar, all I can say is I've corrected some of my friends' lengthy stories before so there's no doubt of me being more than able to help you with that. :D
As for the other points; I'm still learning how to compose, so count me out for songwriting; I do not believe I'm a skilled enough writer to be giving out any plot-related advice. :3

Let me know if you'd like my help!

AIPĀ§

I await the results :pinkiehappy:

Question. Is Vinyl actually playing the songs, or using a machine-spirit to play them and controlling 'em like a DJ normally does?

If Vinyl and Octavia are really going head to head... you gotta put this one in.

Give Vinyl the fangs and red eyes. Have these two girls duke it out in one of the best dueling songs ever!

I considered that song actually, and the dueling banjos.
but the cellos for both mares are gonna be electric, and Vinyl has heavily modified both of them. think of the string equivalent of an electric keyboard, and that Octavia has practiced the electric part of her cello for several months. the duel will mostly pit their differing styles and tastes against each other, eventually leading into songs that they've collaborated on that'll shock Ponyville and the Canterlot elite, alike.

Interesting... well, it'll be good to see what you put together for them! Not to brag or anything, but I slipped a similar electrified setup for our favorite pony cellist into the final chapter of my story Love is its Own Reward. Octavia and her quartet were playing, and Vinyl was bending the soundwaves as part of a live show at one of Equestria's more prestigious clubs! :pinkiesmile: They played some jazz, then moved to a song I can't say, it would be too much of a spoiler for the story... oh, what the hay, it's Thriller, because I had to put Vinyl in that killer cherry-red jacket.

basically the premise is that Octavia has been on hiatus from the Canterlot society for a while, and wants to do a solo performance. thing is she doesn't know Vinyl plans to crash the event. Vinyl wants to push Octavia to show everypony what she's learned, what she's composed, and what she's capable of, in the hopes that it'll make her a rising star again. . . even if it means pissing her off on stage to make her play those new songs. you know how Octavia is often portrayed--too conservative for her own good. Vinyl thinks she needs some help moving up from songs that only a cello can play. :twilightsmile:

oh, and Vinyl and Octavia have made some freestyle mixes several times. I expect to put in some of that too, but I've already said too much! :facehoof:

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 7