The Writers' Group 9,319 members · 56,743 stories
Comments ( 18 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 18

While I'm sure plenty have seen most of this before, it doesn't hurt for a refresher... right?

Almost everything I write, I come up with on the spot. While I do have a very basic outline of how I want a story to progress. I come up with everything off the top of my head, comedy, dialogue, action, you name it. Now I don't suggest everyone try this and be like "Oh Eagle Heart can do it! So can I!" because the way your thought process is, might be a lot or a little different than mine. Which can lead to your story being and utter mess or disaster.

Now i'm not trying to call you all a bunch of dumbasses or that I'm smarter than you. I'm just saying the way I think I different than most people. I actually cannot plan out everything for anything, just a few major details at the end, that's it. Because then I just loose too much interest and get bored. What i do suggest is, in case you decide to come up with everything on the spot, record yourself reading what you just wrote outloud, and listen to it as if someone else was speaking to you. If it sounds normal, you're good to go. If it sounds bad or weird, try again. Also, as you type or write, try to think of what you're going to type next as you're typing it.

I mean, while you're typing, think about what you're doing so you don't end up being generic or unoriginal. Lastly, try not to babble on about the same thing over and over just in different words, and also refrain from using the same words over and over. This is a problem I encounter often and I always have to go back through a chapter and change things because of how repetitive it is.
And when you're making one of those heart stopping, tear inducing, soul tearing sad stories. Just pull your very emotions from the deepest hole in your soul that you can find! Don't even think... feel. This is also something you should do for any serious story, but most serious stories are sad ones.

Keep your grammar in check of course, but that's a no brainer. Now in my time of proof-reading I see a lot of. "Can you proof-read my story? My english isn't very good." While I acknowledge that your english isn't good or great, but you should at least, AT LEAST, make an effort to make it better, rather than keep it the same. I've gotten stories that are good, just a complete mess of unintelligible madness that hurts my eyes because of the horrible grammar. But there's a good story buried deep inside. Just make an effort to make it look good and feel good.

As for characters, MAKE THEM UNIQUE, or at least interesting. The super badass "i don't give a shit about anything" guy is overdone. So is the "I love everything and my life is perfect." guy. Aka Mary Sue. So is the" insane unstable guy who is still a good guy, just really weird or does bad things because he's insane. this insanity can also lead to funny things." guy. There are a lot of things that have been overdone, so do your research some. While you can do a overdone type of char, nothing is stopping you, but add elements that make them unique and interesting, while keep the theme you want them to be.

As for anything that's action and/or intense. Be descriptive. Nuff' said. None of that "He punched the guy in the face." It should be more like. "He balled his hand into a fist and threw it quickly at the guy's face, completely knocking him over." This allows yourself to paint a picture, while giving the reader a chance to use their imagination at the same time.

Be descriptive, but not too descriptive. Paint a picture for the reader, but don't do it so much, that the reader can't fully use their imagination and their stuck reading a long ass paragraph that drags on longer than the Lord of the Rings movies. You need to have both show and tell, not just show. Or else there will be no backbone to the story.

And finally, never settle for ANYTHING you write. Yes you should be proud of it, but you should never be content with it. Always think that you can do better, and sit there and make it as good as you can possibly make it. Never settle for good, settle for perfect. And perfect is impossible. But if you strive for that impossible goal, your reward will be nothing but glory.

Never strive for fame, strive for the enjoyment of yourself and from the readers that you both get from the story. Even if just one person enjoyed the story, you should be more than happy and willing to continue and improve, that's purely what keeps me going. Fame is nice, but not needed.

If you have any questions about this subject or subjects, I'll be sure to answer as best I can and to the best of my knowledge. Also, if you opinion differs from anything I put up here, feel free to share it, I'm interested to see your views.

I agree with all of your points, just one thing to add. I am surprised that our writing minds work very much the same. I have found editing and adding content easier if you write/type what you are working on multiple times. And especially rereading, that is a good habit. Thanks for the tips,
- Fellstar

Showmare Trixie
Group Admin

Just one thing I want to nitpick at.
The thought process you described isn't really that uncommon.
Oh, and uh.

One comment.If you have any questions about this subject or subjects, i'll be sure to answer as best I can and to the best of my knowledge. Also, if you opinion differs from anything i put up here, feel free to share it, I'm interested to see your views.

You forgot some capitalization.

496285 Maybe I should get a proof-reader for my informative posts too XD Also, that thought process, I may have been wrong about that, but I can only go by what i've seen. But then again... i've seen a lot.

Some important advice to add, from my personal experience: Never rush your work. You may feel like you need to set yourself an imaginary deadline (one chapter every week, etc.) to motivate yourself. I highly advise against this. You, most likely, will only end up causing unnecessary stress on yourself as your deadline approaches and you haven't managed to get more than a paragraph on the page. Goals are good; deadlines are horrible.

And finally, never settle for ANYTHING you write. Yes you should be proud of it, but you should never be content with it. Always think that you can do better, and sit there and make it as good as you can possibly make it. Never settle for good, settle for perfect. And perfect is impossible. But if you strive for that impossible goal, your reward will be nothing but glory.

I kind of implied that right there.

I find imaginary deadlines comforting but I never make them specific.
I always say "Okay, I got a week off work so let's write out a chapter." So, anytime during that period, I can write something out after thinking about it for a few days. If I find myself a few days later than the week, big whoop.
I always try to give myself something like "Well, I made up scene X in my mind and got it how I want it, let's take sometime to write it out at some point in the next few days."

I find that giving myself these loose deadlines a bit of motivation to keep thinking about my story, sit down and write one night, as well as help me to not forget it or get bored as I'm then always thinking of "How is the next scene gonna play it exactly?" which keeps my juices flowing.

I actually just came up with a story idea. That will put all my advice to the test. For any and all who would like to see, I New story idea. put it all in a blog post.

515889 Use a thesaurus, it really helps with painting a big picture. Just be careful of using uncommon words, then people might not know what you're trying to say. A good way to make your description feel inspired, (THIS APPLYS TO ALL WRITING) don't think about it, just write what you see in your head... don't think... feel. That always works for me, it can turn a boring fight scene into an epic battle to the death. A good way to practice this, would be open up a text document and just describe, to the best of your ability, what you see in your head write at that second. Don't worry about spelling mistakes, just write. Now when applying this to stories, be careful not to paint too much of a picture, you still have to let the reader use their imagination to a point. Or else they might get bored and stop reading.

528017 Be subtle about it, tell them without telling. Sometimes I'll have something in the story happen in the backround that seems insignificant, then later it turns out to be super important. Like a random stranger in an alleyway, or some sort of item that they think is strange but dismiss it. Things like that.

Don't overwork yourself.

He also mentioned Lord of the Rings, Tolkien rewrote the books like 10 times. When he would go over it and edit, instead of changing stuff he just started over from the beginning. My mind excels at doing this and I find my writings pull off much better.

Late reply is late. I agree with most of this, but the motivation of people actually reading your stuff shouldn't be discounted (worked for me, anyway!). What I'd suggest is:
1) Have a plan - it doesn't have to be much of one, but you do need to know the basics of what's going to happen. Revisit the plan, because you may find your story mutates as you write it.
2) Have a buffer - if you are posting chapter 3, be writing chapter 6. This lets you fix stuff before you publish (very handy if you get readers commenting/ trying to predict what happens next; they might think of something you haven't).
3) Write EVERY DAY, without fail. Have a target and stick to it, even if it's only 100 words. There is no such thing as writers block, only the unwillingness to write something bad... but once it's on paper, editing is easier than inventing.
In the end remember that nothing is perfect, and you will only improve with practice. Better to post 'good enough' than never, as there is a special hell reserved for writers who start a story but do not finish it.

I'm afraid I come under the second category of this thread as 'a writer seeking advice'.

Recently I wrote a story for a contest in another group and I kind of got ... well, 'blasted' is too severe; perhaps 'strongly criticized' is a more adequate description for my use of asterisks around sound effects.

This is what one judge wrote to me and actually all three judges touched on it at least once. This is the strongest one however.

You used asterisks to display action in the narrative. That's a big no-no. This isn't an RP. This is an actual written work. And asterisks aren't used to display actions ever. That was what really stood out to me, and it really bothered me.

Unfortunately I've spent more time honing my writing skills in RP Forums than writing actual prose fanfiction and I'm not quite sure where I went wrong. Here is the story they were judging, I really wouldn't mind some clarification/constructive feedback.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 18