• Published 16th Sep 2014
  • 7,101 Views, 12,066 Comments

Yaerfaerda - Imploding Colon



Rainbow Dash and the Noble Jury continue to fly east.

  • ...
41
 12,066
 7,101

PreviousChapters Next
Oh Grow Up, Dash Oh-Seven

“There are very few deer who are blessed to receive the bounty that you are getting, Rainbow Dash,” Duchess Arcanista said. She turned around and trotted across the warehouse with a silk bag before laying it down on a table full of supplies. “Nevertheless, when I spoke with the King and Queen, they emptied these from the royal storehouse without a moment's hesitation.”

She unwrapped the silk bag, revealing what appeared to be three columns of dark-gray wafers. There must have been approximately thirty-six bite-sized pieces total—or at least two bite-sized.

“They are called Heaven Slices,” Arcanista explained. “And they are constructed through carefully guarded magic spells, the likes of which Val Roan scholars have honed and perfected throughout the last eight centuries.”

“Awesome.” Rainbow nodded from where she hovered across the table. “What are they made of?”

“It's... difficult to explain,” the Duchess said, fidgeting slightly. “They aren't baked and they aren't cooked. They're processed through multiple, multiple transfusions of magic. But, if you must know, they were extracted from various reserves of corn, bread, and beans. They're unbelievably rich with carbohydrates, fiber, protein—”

Rainbow Dash flashed Arcanista a glaring look. “Protein?

Arcanista smiled gently. “Soy, Rainbow Dash,” she said. “Meat has not been known to survive the transfusion process.”

“I'm guessing a lot of magic went into this magic food, huh?”

“About five years per slice.”

Rainbow's ears folded. “Dang...” She gulped, glancing down at the morsels once more. “So, like, what's the big deal?”

“They're designed to contain significant amounts of nourishment in decidedly small servings,” Arcanista explained. “Through careful arcane spells, the material is compressed and preserved. Once introduced to a consumer's body, the food can provide enough energy to last the eater for two days. Their chief purpose throughout the last thousand years has been to sustain soul sentries on patrol in the wilderness. But, as you can imagine, with the false Saikano accelerating the soul sentry induction, an alternate form of sustenance had to have been utilized.” She gestured at the wafers once again. “These are extremely rare in supply. They stay guarded deep in the royal warehouses and are distributed on very seldom occasions.”

“Lucky me, I guess.” Rainbow reached out and lifted a few of them in her hoof. “So... if I eat one of these...”

“It could keep you from feeling hungry for two days in the Grand Choke,” Arcanista said. “Maybe three. As wonderful as these slices may seem, Rainbow Dash, I would advise you to exercise restraint and limit your intake so that you might make the best of your journey.”

“Yeah. I got that part,” Rainbow said, nodding. “What if—like—I said 'buck it' and ate more than one at a time? Just for the heck of it?”

Arcanista calmly said, “Your nervous system would overload and you would die of heart failure.”

Rainbow blinked, immediately dropping the wafers back. “Right. Got it.”

“Careful...” Arcanista delicately scooped the slices back together. “If you so much as crack one of them, they'll lose their potency.”

“Which means...?”

“The magic will leak out into the open air, and the morsel will be as nourishing as a piece of burnt toast.”

“Guess that's going deep inside the saddelbag,” Rainbow said. “What are these things called again?”

“Heaven Slices. An ancient Val Roan delicacy.”

“Heh...” Rainbow smirked. “I guess 'lambucks bread' was taken.” She cocked her head to the side. “And what about staying hydrated?”

Arcanista nodded. She trotted back to a supply shelf and came back with a clear glass tube filled with a bubbling liquid.

“Seltzer water?” Rainbow asked.

“Not quite,” Arcanista said. “It's a magical elixir called 'Nebulum.' Unlike the Heaven Slices, Nebulum can't be so easily contained. What's more, it's not swallowed... but rather it's inhaled.”

“For real?”

Arcanista turned the cylinder over in her hooves. She pointed out at a black-cap at the end with a turndial and a swivel-lid apparatus. “You hold this piece under your muzzle, then rotate the dial one full turn, all the while inhaling.” She gestured. “The vapor enters your lungs, then gets magically absorbed into your body, hydrating you.”

“I'm guessing this is also something I could overdose on if I'm not friggin' careful.”

“Right.” Arcanista nodded. “But it's not quite as potent as the Heaven Slices, which is why you'll be encouraged to carry two cylinders.” She placed the container down on the table. “On top of a regular bottle of canteen. Though you may not be eating or drinking with the aid of water, you'll surely need some for the trip through the desert.”

“Well, as much as I can carry.” Rainbow looked across the table. “I see the King and Queen have supplied me with blankets, wool, a hatchet—good; I've been needing another one of those.”

“Although there's been no record of vegetation in the Grand Choke, there's no telling what... or who you would be having to defend yourself against,” Arcanista said.

Rainbow gave her a double-take. “You mean... there are ponies out there?

“Deer, most likely.”

“You're pulling my tail...”

“There's no guaranteeing that any of them are alive, Rainbow.” Arcanista bit her lip. Then, with a sigh, the elk ultimately said, “It's... not something that Val Roans enjoy speaking of. I, myself, am far more accustomed to life in Bountiful, so it's doubly strange to me—”

“What is?”

“There's a custom,” Arcanista said. “A funeral rite, I suppose. Many veteran soldiers and Soul Sentries of the Val Roan Defense Force make what's called a 'Final March.'”

Rainbow blinked. “Out into the Grand Choke?

“It's meant to be an act of pride and defiance,” Arcanista explained. “These old soldiers—at the end of their lives—are ready to show that they have no fear left, and they are ready to meet God. So, typically, they start out from Shepherd's Rock, say parting words with their families, then begin their lonesome trot east. When they finally feel their death coming, they lay their shields behind them and then face the desert, so that they're always on guard for the kingdom... even well into eternity.”

“No kidding...” Rainbow exhaled. “That's kind of cool, in a depressingly creepy way.”

“Several don't make it past a mile into the Grand Choke,” Arcanista said. “It's not uncommon for Val Roan citizens to go out and tend to the first line of bodies, keeping them in as pristine a condition as is manageable. When I was very young, my father took Floyd and I to pay our respects. I could... never get over how well-preserved the soldiers appeared to be. And yet, in some way, I can understand the gesture of pride and loyalty.”

“Well, I'm not going out there to die,” Rainbow said. “Still, thanks for the heads up. That would be a very strange thing to run into if I wasn't prepared for it.”

“You're quite welcome.”

Rainbow looked across the table between them. She pointed at a round diode, surrounded by several slender rods in a straight line. “What's this thingy?”

Arcanista smiled. “Give it a press.”

“Give what a press?”

“The button, in the very center.”

Rainbow Dash did just that. Cl-Clakka! The rods magically expanded, forming a pony-sized rectangular frame. “Whoah! Jeez!”

“Wonderfully quick, isn't it?” Arcanista remarked.

“Just what the heck is it?” Rainbow glanced at the diode that now rested along the inner frame.

“You should be able to stretch some of your blankets around it,” Arcanista said. “The material is quite durable, and should be able to give you proper shade in the brightest daylight... not to mention protection from the elements.”

“Like... a sandstorm?”

“Precisely.” Arcanista nodded. “You almost sound like you've crossed a desert before.”

“I have,” Rainbow muttered, pressing the diode again. Sure enough, the apparatus collapsed, although much slower than it expanded. “And I would have given anything to have had an instant-tent-machine like this thingy.”

“Granted, it's quite small,” Arcanista said. “But it should do the trick.”

“Well, it should. But will it?” Rainbow looked up at the elk. “What... what are the odds that this... all of this...” Rainbow gestured at everything on the table. “The Nebulum and the Heaven Slices included... what assurance do I have that they'll still work for me?” Rainbow bit her lip. “I mean... y'know... it's the Grand Choke. Could all of this magic stuff still survive the trip?”

Arcanista's eyes fell to the floor. After a somber breath, she said, “There's no easy way to tell, Rainbow Dash. We would hope that the magic inside the sustenance—at least—is well preserved enough to last you at least halfway. But, there's no denying the fact that at some point or another the Grand Choke will dissolve the enchantment from the inside out. Nothing can change how perilous this journey will be for you.”

“Chrysalis certainly made me understand that,” the pegasus said, nodding. “But, a little bit of everything is certainly a heck of a lot better than nothing.”

“Also, for what it's worth, the metal frame is manually operational as well.” Arcanista shuddered. “I... I just wish I could make things easier for you. After all, you've done so much for me, the House of Sehlp, Floydien...” Her eyes grew a bit misty. “...for this entire kingdom, Rainbow Dash. Do you have any idea...?”

“Hey...” Rainbow drifted over, resting a hoof on the elk's shoulder. “You pointed the Noble Jury in the right direction, and if it weren't for you, we'd still be under Chrysalis' hoof right now. So... spread the love around a bit, will ya?”

“Yes...” Arcanista exhaled. “Yes, indeed.” She blinked, then smiled. “And I think I know how and where to start.”

Rainbow blinked curiously.

But Arcanista was already trotting back to the far edge of the warehouse. When she came back, she was smiling. “You don't necessarily have me to thank for this. As a matter of fact, it was Mamunia and Jet who came up with the idea. They... th-they put their seamstress skills to good use, and they did the best that they could to restore it from its wear and tear. All in all, I believe we can all thank God that you had left it in the stagecoach at Plaza Topaz—and not in the Noble Jury—when the moment of truth arrived.”

“Huh?” Rainbow Dash blinked curiously. Her breath left her as her eyes reflected royal velvets of midnight blue. “Ah... right...” She smiled gently, taking the familiar satchel from Arcanista's grasp. “...so we meet again.”

PreviousChapters Next