G1 Ponies: Credit Where It's Due 379 members · 405 stories
Comments ( 206 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 206

Got this from Phantom-Dragon

My Little Pony: Generations #1—Cover A: Amy Mebberson—SPOTLIGHT
Casey Gilly (w) • Michela Cacciatore (a) • Amy Mebberson (c)
A brand-new Pony adventure begins here, encompassing generations both old and new when G1 and Friendship is Magic collide!
A long time ago, an evil witch named Hydia sought to destroy pony-kind. Now her granddaughters, Grackle and Dyre, are back to finish the job!
With the School of Friendship overloaded with students, Starlight Glimmer and the Mane Six reach out for help. Enter: Violet Shiver, Shadow Storm, and Black Belle! But these ponies aren't quite what they seem; in fact, they're working for Grackle and Dyre! With their sights set on revenge and a brand-new Smooze on hand, the young witches and their dastardly creations are ready to cause some mayhem…
FC • 32 pages • $3.99
My Little Pony: Generations #1—Cover B: Agnes Garbowska—SPOTLIGHT
Casey Gilly (w) • Michela Cacciatore (a) • Agnes Garbowska (c)

They forgot to give G1 Twilight wings.

No they didn't, she is a unicorn. Alicorns didn't exist in Ponyland.

Not outside of animation errors anyway.

An interesting idea.

Patch, is that a character from the comics? Those are a blind spot for me.

WAIT, you mean this is a REAL comic!?

No, she's from My Little Pony Tales.

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/WesternAnimation/MyLittlePonyTales

A cartoon that was just too ahead of its time. The slice of life genre has become way more mainstream since then.

That isn't what I'm talking about, the PICTURE there looks just like the cover of a MLP-FIM comic book.

From what I found, yes.

Awesome! :yay: They even use the G1 ponies who were originally intended to be the Mane 6 and taken inspiration from. 😁

Yes, yes it is.

For those who don't already know, I just noticed on Equestria Daily not that long ago, that Megan will most likely be introduced in part 3, so it looks like she won't be left out or snubbed after all unlike the third manga that did that. How she will be portrayed and/or what role will she play in this comic series will still be unknown at this point, so we'll have to wait and see what happens, which won't be until almost the end of this year. The reason I felt that this was going to be her introduction is because the description mentions the Rainbow Bridge that we know is what she has to cross from to be there. Also, it would be interesting see what kind of reaction she would get from either of the ponies. For the G1 ponies, they probably haven't seen her in a long time, while the G4 ponies will be noticing her for the first time. Meanwhile, the witches will most likely know her because she faced the original ones in both the movie and the series. Nonetheless, I'm happy that she won't be left out especially since she was pretty much the face of G1. On a side note, if you want to know what I mean by being snubbed in the manga, this is what I meant by it and why G1 fans weren't too happy about that.

I think whoever gave me a downvote was probably mad that I was right about Megan appearing in this comic series not to mention in which part as well, and I feel that rest of you who were naysaying this owe me something as well for thinking that she wouldn't appear at all.

JK, I wasn't really betting anything, but now that I know she will be in it, I will starting getting these comics in anticipation.

I'm worried that they're going to botch it spectacularly. The ponies they picked hadn't even dealt with the volcano witches. It should be, Wind Whistler, Lofty, Fizzy, Magic Star, Shady, Sweet Stuff, Gusty and the Flutter Ponies. 😑

I will say that the artwork is very cute.

I'm a little worried about this too.

One thing I really don't want to see is the personalities of the mane six copy pasted on to the Ponyland six.

While there are similarities in places, they aren't identical in the characterization.

Unfortunately, this is probably something we won't know until it comes out. Who knows how the G1 ponies will really be portrayed or which one of them will really appear until then. I did find out something on the G1 wiki that if it wasn't for Hasbro losing trademark rights after doing Rescue at Midnight Castle, a good number of those ponies would have been used again in Escape from Catrina, the original MLP: The Movie, and even possibly in MLP 'n Friends, which might have been their original intention. However, that wasn't the case and that didn't happen. Another thing, Megan herself is introduced in the third issue, and there's no telling how she will portrayed either until it comes out as well, though I hope that she won't be aged too much and feel like some whinny crank when she appears.

Then I guess you didn't like my fanfic, because I made those ponies the ancestors of the Mane 6, not to mention in that said fanfic Megan even says that they reminded her of those original ponies just by the way they look and act hence the one downvote it got.

I didn't read it.

You can go here to read it. I did place this fanfic on several groups to give it more exposure. The reason I used those ponies and related them to the Mane 6 was mainly because they were the ones claimed to be where the inspiration was from according to Lauren Faust. Although this isn't the first fanfic to have the current ponies who meet Megan be descendants of the ones she did know a long time ago, this one differs because it involves Twilight Sparkle only knowing about Megan by finding a secret book about her, which catches her interest. When Twilight encounters Megan, she does confuse for the Twilight she once knew until she tells her that she's not that pony not to mention thinks that alicorns or a special evolved group of ponies only to find out that they aren't natural for the most part with Flurry Heart being the exception. I don't want to get too much into it here, because I don't want to give any spoilers before you read it, plus it's not relevant to this topic. Something tells me that if G4 was made to be a continuation of G1, then it's possible that there would be certain descendants not to mention ponies that lived long enough to remember Megan from their early years like the Royal Sisters who would have been fillies at that time. Another thing that has been on my mind would be what would MLP 'n Friends be like if the ponies from Rescue at Midnight Castle were in it. My guess is that along with some other ponies from the series, they could have been that series Mane 6 along with Megan as their ally, but that wasn't case because Hasbro lost the trademark rights by that time, so they couldn't be used again for legal reasons. Getting back to this comic series, I do hope that they don't downplay any G1 characters be it the ponies or Megan herself in making them feel inferior to the G4 characters.

I've already seen when it was put in the group. It didn't grab my attention for some reason.

After hearing that, I won't go any further, because it's not relevant to this topic, plus I don't want to give away too much before you read it. Getting back to this this topic, I always wondered what would the other specials, movie, and even the series would have been like if the ponies from the original special were kept, which was probably Hasbro's original intention if they didn't lose the trademark rights to those characters. Would they have been the same or probably different? Should that had been the case, they might have been the Mane 6 along with some other ponies if they were to be in the series itself. Unfortunately, we would never know because that didn't happen. Also, I never got we only Megan and Spike were reused only for everything else G1, but not the rest. Then again, in the series, Hasbro did mix around what ponies would show up each episode in up, which was probably to give them equal time, though keep in mind that Megan herself wasn't in every episode in understanding to why she was only mentioned to be a major character and not a main character in that said series.

After reading what was at the top, it turns out is the exact same two witches that were from the movie as well as at the beginning of the series, so these aren't new witches. My guess is that Hydia isn't in this because she probably died of old age a while ago or something else. Reading the description, it seems as if Grackle and Dyre may have gotten wiser, so the may not be the stooges they were originally. However, where they got ponies to do their bidding is sort of an unknown here, but that's another one of those we will have to wait and see. Out of the possible known G1 ponies to appear to probably know about the witches will probably be Posey, though she didn't have much of a real encounter with them in the movie. Then, of course there is Megan, who won't appear until the third issue according to its description, and who knows what they will have in store for her. Again, it's just a wait and see to know what will happen, because anything said now will just be giving it away.

The first issue of this comic series is now mentioned over on Apple Books with a preview of what's going to be it.

It turns out that those aren't the other two witches, but the granddaughters of Hydia. The other two I was thinking about where Reeka and Draggle. However, it seems to be a big plot hole for Hydia to have granddaughters such as Grackle and Dyre when we never knew much about her family tree. Also, I don't get why those two witches don't have the same skin color that Hyida had, but my guess was to make them look more authentic as witches even if it meant that they had to look like Equestria Girls characters. For some reason, what they are wearing reminds me more of the witches that go to Cloud Tower in the Winx Club, because they usually have a punk or goth look if you actually watched it like I did.

Just to clear something up, it turns out when I thought that the Twilight from G1 was named Twilight Twinkle, that's actually a G3 character. However, that version did help create the tail and mane that Twilight Sparkle wound up having for G4. One other thing, there was also a pegasus in G1 that also had the name Twilight for some reason, but was a minor character, though it's possible that this one along with the one from the original pilot got the Twilight everyone knows now to being an alicorn.

Yeah, I actually learned about Twilight Twinkle in a video I watched.

I wanted to tell you, but I forgot. :facehoof:

Seeing that some of these ponies have similar names, I will find it interesting how those doing this comic series will distinguish them. At least with the two Twilights they can just call the G4 one by her whole name. However, for the two Applejacks that one might be tough in seeing that their names are exactly. Then there's also the case when Megan appears in it later on and has to distinguish them herself. I'm starting to think that reusing names for other generations was probably a bad idea especially if it will be involving crossovers and causing a confusion.

I am a little concerned about confusion given that so many are reused.

At least be glad there was never crossover between G3 and G4. I know that G3 Rainbow Dash will never understand why her G4 counterpart doesn't like to always dress in style, G3 Pinkie Pie will probably seem normal compared to G4 Pinkie Pie if you know what I mean, and G3 Rarity will try to think of G4 Rarity is her grown up. Also, I can imagine G3 Rainbow Dash being friends with G4 Rarity in seeing that they have more in common and that one came to be. Then again, most of what was between G1 and G4 wasn't very notable, and I knew that after watching a video on Youtube about it, which may explain why there probably won't be a MLP Multiverse series that would have all the characters from each of the series that have aired. Sometimes trying to go for a target audience isn't always for the better and this goes beyond changing the clothes Megan had each time she appeared. If you watch shows such as Totally Spies, Kim Possible, Winx Club, or Miraculous: Tales of Ladybug and Cat Noir, you will find how those shows were able to appeal to both genders despite being female themed, and I feel that Hasbro never tried use that formula for most of their MLP series.

After hearing that Megan will appear halfway through this comic series is almost no different to how she usually appears in much of the series as well as in the specials and movies that she also appears in, which is usually not in the beginning especially to those of us who are G1 fans.

After seeing the cover on the top, I wonder what other G1 ponies can have counterparts to G4 either by appearance or nature, though that might be hard in seeing that a lot of them didn't make too many appearances to have a viable comparison.

Just yesterday, the comic series has officially debuted. Being the first in the series, there isn't too much to expect in this one. However, I don't play to spoil anything, so just get the comic or read about it online as someone scans and posts it up. One thing I can't get in this are the witches of Grackle and Dyre in that they are said to be the daughters of to Reeka and Draggle as well as the granddaughters of Hydia, but I don't ever recall them getting married and having them, so that sounds like a major plot hole there. Also, I don't get how they got a left with a list to create a new Smooze let alone know about the G4 ponies considering where they are living. From what I'm hearing we may have to wait until second part to see any G1 ponies, because it seems that they won't be in this one, though it's not ruled if they will appear in that one either, while the third issue for Megan herself, but I only believed that she would be introduced there because of the mention of the Rainbow Bridge in its description not that long ago. However, there is nothing for the fourth and fifth parts, but we probably won't hear about those until after 2022 starts, so it's early to tell what will be in those, though I may have a feeling what could happen, but I might just be making some guesses and speculations and could end up being wrong about it as they do come out. Again, we'll just have to wait and see what will actually happen even it involved waiting about another month for the next issue.

Even though this is from the Princess Dark Matter series over on Deviantart, this could probably pass for one of the final panels in this comic series as well as a final ending for both G1 and G4.

I just received word from Equestria Daily that a cover for the fourth part has now been mentioned, and it does give an idea to what G1 ponies are going to be in this as well as a release date, though there might be more coming in.

Does anyone know if this can even be found in stores? I just went to a Newbury Comics yesterday, and they didn't even have it. As a matter of fact, the bulk of their store wasn't even comics, which is pretty misleading. The only MLP I found there were two of their manga, but if I saw Volume 3, I would have probably gotten it as a consolation prize and write snubbed where I saw Megan miss out. I will try a few other in my area for this week, and if it's not the case, I'll probably just order it online and have it mailed to me. Maybe you have to look for the ones that gives the company that's associated with it in order to find it. Then again, store websites don't always show everything. I doubt that Barnes and Nobles would have them, because I don't think that they give comics, but I could be wrong about that. On a side note, I'll probably still go to that place to get a calendar for next year, though they probably have the manga for MLP there as well.

I just managed to find the first part of this comic series. I won't give too much about it, because I don't want to spoil it for those who are still looking or are waiting for theirs' to arrive especially for the pages you can't find online. When I got it, I was lucky to make it to the comic shop before it closed, and this was the last one that they had. I was a little iffy when I went there because the website of that store could never come up to see if it was really there or not. He did tell me that it was due to problems with the server. Long story short, I got the first part, and I'll wait for the rest of you to get it to talk about it so that nobody will feel spoiled. Again, remember that this is only the first part, so don't expect too much in it. On a side note, I told that person working there that I will show up again when each of the four come in, but I'll probably get them either on or just after the release date, so I don't have to worry about them almost running out when I get there.

Here's something I will tell you without giving away much. Whenever you see a picture of Starlight Glimmer, put your fingers on it and either pet or boop her and you'll know why. Other than that, I won't tell you anything else about the first part until the rest of you get yours. However, I will say what I know about the rest of the series from the how they were revealed and their reviews. Unfortunately, no G1 ponies will appear until part 4, and it's most likely going to be the ones from the series. As for Megan, I'm now saying that she might be introduced in part 3, but the review on that doesn't really say it, so original claim was mostly an inference from what I read especially with the Rainbow Bridge being mentioned. Then again, saying that it holds a secret and that this is after Christmas could have been done on purpose to give the readers the suspense for her introduction if that will be the case, but we won't know until that comes around the end of the year. Meanwhile, part 2 will pretty much be the witches working their way on getting into the school, though it would have been better if that one was used to introduce the G1 characters, because it feels as if they are getting a backseat despite this supposed to being a crossover between the two generations.

If it's true that it will Twilight meeting Megan, they might be the ones who make the plan to stop both the witches and the Smooze making them the best cross generation shipping in being known leaders.

First of all, I could never understand why does it have to take about a month for the next part to come out when it comes to comic book series. With the way they are made now, they could be ready in about half that time. More importantly, I don't see why the rest of the G1 characters aren't being introduced sooner in this series especially if it was meant to be a crossover between the two. If it's true that Megan will be the first G1 protagonist to be introduced, that will probably be in part 3, though I think it would have been better if Twilight Sparkle encountered the G1 ponies, who would be staring at her due to never seeing an alicorn before, first and asks for help on how to stop the witches and the Smooze. Then, those that do know what she is talking about can take her over to where the savior lives, and seeing her up and personal would make her surprised to find out that it's not a pony, but rather a human, which would have made Megan's introduction more suspenseful rather than possibly have Twilight meet her straight up. Another thing is how she will be portrayed in this series and if she will really participate in stopping the witches or just be there to give her the information on how to do so, though I sort of see the former being more correct than the latter especially since she is a major character from G1 to start with. Again, I'm just making some inferences here and trying to connect the dots on this, because until those issues come out, we won't know what will really happen. Keep in mind that the description for part 3 doesn't actually say that she will appear in it even with the mention of the Rainbow Bridge that would normally lead to her farm, so that could mean that if she doesn't appear on that one, she might just be in one the next two parts if that's not the case. On a side note, I don't expect Twilight (G1), Applejack (G1), Firefly, and Glory to appear in this crossover because they aren't from the series itself, but Posey and Surprise can still show in the fact that they are from it. In other words, the only reason why we see the other four with the Mane 6 is because they are the ones that got Lauren Faust to create G4.

Did anyone else get the first part yet or is it just me?

I'm working on it.

Did you order yours online or are you looking in certain stores for it?

It's going to be online.

If the comics really are related, then it's possible that Twilight Sparkle may already know who Megan is when you look at the book at the bottom that is to the right of Sunset Shimmer and is titled "Who was Megan?" in what was supposed to be before she went through the mirror that lead to the first Equestria Girls movie.

In that same comic I just mentioned, you will notice a flyer just at the base of the statue of where Sunset enters for the first time reading that Megan along with Danny and Molly are hosting an event involving the school's yearbook.

I will assume that everyone here got part 1, so it will probably be safe to say what that one is about without giving away any spoilers, though it would have been nice if someone didn't just link an online version of the whole comic that just gave it away. Nonetheless, the first part is mostly an introduction, so there isn't too much to expect in it. This one mostly focuses on Starlight Glimmer being overwhelmed by the number of enrolled students attending the School of Friendship and is under a lot of stress because she just can't handle it all especially due to not having that many teachers that are there on a regular basis unlike her, which is why I acted as if I petted and booped her to help feel her pain. Meanwhile, the new witches, Grackle and Dyre, work a plan along with their pet rat Trench to help attack the ponies by reviving the Smooze that original ones used. What would have been nice could be a backstory for those witches and how they came to be, but knowing the history of introducing characters in the whole MLP franchise, that's usually not the case and this one is no exception to that. Also, where did Trench get a kigurumi of Rainbow Dash? More importantly, how do the witches even know about the G4 ponies seeing that they never encountered them before unless, they knew it from Trench? Unfortunately, until the next parts I can't tell if the supposed pony professors in disguise that showed up from that college that is a reference to Harvard University or supposed to be the witches along with Trench or just a physical form of the Smooze, but we'll just have to wait when the next part comes out starting Wednesday. On a side note, I do hope that the part that comes out next month gives us the character we have long waited to see, but we won't know that until it comes out.

It's now official that part 2 is out, but I won't give away too much especially for those who haven't gotten it yet. However, I will say that this part does show the witches working their plan. Unlike the original witches, these actually found a way to turn the Smooze into ponies that even the original ones couldn't do. BTW, this is where the Student 6 get introduced into this series. This one is mostly them putting their plan in motion.

Assuming that everyone got part 2, this one is pretty much straightforward as it involves the witches working their plan. This one has the supposed professors have a tour of the School of Friendship by Pinkie Pie. As they get their assigned classes, they teach the students how misbehave. However, this makes Rarity suspicious and starts to question Starlight Glimmer about those said professors. Also, it's not just the school where this is occurring, but also a lot of other places in and around Ponyville. Each of these special ponies of a different characteristic of what they can do, which is another thing that these new witches are able to do. Still, a backstory on how they were able to make ponies out of the Smooze would have been nice, but knowing that this is MLP, we're never going to get anything on that. Another thing is that this would have been nice if they started introducing some G1 characters already, but we may have to wait until the next part for that. On a side note, the original witches aren't dead, but they are referenced in saying that they are going to some convention and left a note for the new witches to carry out their plan. Speaking of the next part, they do mention the Rainbow Bridge, so that could mean we might start being introduced to someone we have long waited for, though it could also lead somewhere else, but we won't know until it comes out around the end of the year, which is 12/29 in that IDW wants this one after Christmas rather than before as the others are usually released on the third Wednesday of each month.

I just heard that the comic series for MLP may not be over as Spawn and Invincible plan to pick it up, though it's only said for Transformers and GI Joe right now.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 206