Austraeoh 773 members · 31 stories
Comments ( 5 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 5

What is your favorite part of the writing behind the Austraeoh series? (Not the story, but the writing in the story, e.g. character development, figurative language, literary devices, pacing, etc.)

thatguyvex
Group Contributor

I'd say one of the strengths of Skirts' writing style is the natural flow and ease of dialogue. Most of the time the characters interact in a very smooth, believable way that doesn't feel too stiff. I can't really point any particular technicalities, as I'm nowhere near that educated on writing technicals, but I feel the character dialogue rarely feels forced and more often than not moves in a way that... for lack of a better term feels very natural.

Other strengths in the writing tends to be creating a sense of scale and scope that's hard to define or put into words, but Skirts seems to pull off pretty well. I don't know if its word choice, timing, or pacing, but even in the earliest stages of the story he created a strong sense that this world and the story that was going to take place in it was massive. I'd also say Skirts has a talent for teasing mystery. Giving just that barest hint of "what is that?" or "who's this?" or "why this?" to make the reader crave more information and want to keep reading. That, admittedly, can be a double edged sword if the eventual answers don't quite live up to the mystery, but damn if the mystery itself can't be quite the draw to keep reading, and Skirts really nailed that for the Austreaoh series.

Lamplighter
Group Contributor

Just off the top of my head. There was the fight Rainbow Dash had with Bard just after the Quade, right at the end of Ynanhluutr. There was something about the dialog there that bordered on the incoherent. I rarely ever seen emotions that strong accurately portrayed in the dialog itself. Most of the time we are simply told that a person is emotional, in that scene I could feel my heart racing faster like I was there yelling too. Writing like that just sucks you in and takes you along for the ride.

berrytone
Group Contributor

I love the world building and how complex the world is. What's impressive is that what Rainbow interacts with is believable inside this world.
Big fan of the adventure and multi-arc nature of the books.

Also, I'm a huge fan of the descritive writing and insane use of figurative language which makes the world come alive. It's why I read Background Pony 6 years ago.

I just dig his writing style. It's good quality work (usually). Parts of the Austraeoh series is rough around the edges. The characterization of Ariel flops pretty bad in the last book. However, most of the characters are pretty solid and have great character development that is relevant to the plot and enjoyable to read.

Tl;dr: I like the world building and figurative language.

berrytone
Group Contributor

For example this line from Innavedr .
She cried until the pain had risen out of her lungs and burned its way into her throat and mouth, reminding her of the lips she would never again have the grace of touching, of the voice that would no longer whisper lovingly into her ears.

The incredible imagery makes you feel her pain. It's much better than the standard, "she rembered her lost love and wept in the woods."

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 5