Villains of Equestria 1,813 members · 3,442 stories
Comments ( 9 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 9
Rezz
Group Admin

I need more opinions. My favorite character and Villain is Queen Chrysalis, In my stories I think I have made her too evil in some and then just completely off whack to her character in others. Queen Chrysalis though is hard to write with I have now began to notice, Barely anything is known about her. Another villain I find that could be made to evil is Discord, I have read some fanfics where they make Discord seem to be extremely evil when he isn't really. Do you all think its alright to change a villains personality for a story? Or is it not good to do?

I am asking this because I am not sure if I have overshot Chrysalis or if I am doing Ok. I am not asking you to come into my profile and read all of my stories, I just need your opinion on this topic cause if I have overshot all my villain's personalities and my story is off topic to the show then I might have to restart all together on my MLP stories.

So tell me, Do you think you can make Chrysalis, Discord or Nightmare Moon to evil? or do you think that no matter what you do it is still OK to make them into an evil sadistic being?

Thank you for your help on this topic I am having trouble with.

-Rezz

Well, you may want to give examples as to what Chrysalis has done so far and what you plan for to do...

Rezz
Group Admin

667268 Like what I did in another chance? or even deeper in planning?

Without reading your stories (I plan to, don't worry), I can tell you that a character with very little known about them can be portrayed in almost any way.

To portray a villain as a complete monster is usually okay. It's all up to the writer's opinion as to how much of a monster they are, even if it contradicts what other people may think. While I may not portray the dear Queen as despicably evil (just grudge-holding and hive-loving), I'm perfectly okay with works that imply she would slaughter newborns (have there been any that suggested that? I... would rather avoid them, all the same...)

Rezz
Group Admin

667292 I write Chrysalis as a Villain who has had a grueling life full of starvation and death and wishes to capture Canterlot to both feed her species and become Queen of Equestria. I give her a temper, Make her use Human Vocabulary since she is not a pony and I make her kill some of her soldiers if they fail her and/or betray her.

Also I do not recommend Amnesia, Its my first story and was when I was still adapting to the fanfiction writing style.

I see. From what I can tell from that short description, that's far from "too evil". It's pretty reasonable, actually, since you gave her aspirations and reasons for her cruelty.

Hm, duly noted. I'll give it a go anyways, one can always learn from the past. I recently read through an old story I wrote on paper loooong ago, and while it was tortuous it was also enlightening.

Rezz
Group Admin

667325 Be my guest, A note though I regret alot of the content I added in the chapters though some of it is good.

The key to writing a "villain" in my opinion is the perception of them. For example, Chrysalis is seen as evil due to attacking Canterlot but if she had good reason to, such as the starvation of her swarm, she is much less evil then she is perceived in that instant.

In terms of whether a villain can be too evil, yes they can be if poorly executed. If they are overly sadistic or cruel without any reasoning or decent explanation behind it than the character doesn't really fit. If a compelling reason and back story is provided explaining why they are sadistic or wantonly cruel, than yes the character does fit and is sensible.

Hope that helps :twilightsheepish:

Well, you have to think to yourself: "Is she truly evil? Does she slaughter children in front of their parents just for fun? Does she make captives bathe in the blood and organs of their friends and family?"

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 9