Villains of Equestria 1,813 members · 3,442 stories
Comments ( 20 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 20

I don't mean to be cynical or anything, but from everything I've seen, heard, and/or read recently, it seems like people are getting tired of sympathetic antagonists and how they're either turning out to be more cliche or that there's way too many of them. I know that there are some exceptions like Spinel from Steven Universe: The Movie and Erik Killmonger from The Black Panther, but I'm starting to wonder if making a sympathetic, redeemable, relatable, and/or tragic antagonist/villain done right is possible anymore. Sorry if I made anyone upset or anything, but I'm just starting to notice a current trend when it comes to people's opinions on sympathetic villains in general.

But what do you guys think? Let me know by either replying to this thread or via PM. Thank you and have a great day.

No, but it depends on how you do it. If you show them as a relatively good person who later becomes a villain, it could work, if if you show their humanity during their villainy. And, don't just have all be forgiven by everyone, have them work for atonement, or some people question the truth of their goodness. Look at Hordak and co from She Ra

I don’t be think so. There are still plenty of avenues to explore for relatable or tragic villains in stories.

Well depends. Are you going to reform said sympathetic villain? If yes, then yeah. We're tired of it. We want those villains that are rotten as hell, even if they have sympathetic traits.

For example, let's take General Grievous, the legends version. He had a REALLY sad life, but a pretty believable and good one. When he became a cyborg and devoted his life to killing the Jedi, it made sense. It was tragic, but he was never going to be redeemed. And it made sense. So this is a good example in my mind of a sympathetic villain done right.

Thanks. I know I keep spamming when I do this, but the reason why I made this thread is because I've made an OC that's supposed to be a great sympathetic and redeemable antagonist done right, but he came off as more of less meh than anything else.

Yes, I am going to redeem said sympathetic villain. I've made an OC that's supposed to be a great sympathetic and redeemable antagonist done right, but he came off as more of less meh than anything else.

7372311 No, you just need to know what you're doing when you write them. Why do you think we still talk about Mr. Freeze's reworked origins from Batman The Animated Series despite knowing he's still a bad guy willing to hurt or kill anyone who opposes him? Because even if we do want the hero to prevail, we understand where the villain is coming from. We know how it is that they lost their way. But we also know that they're not necessarily going to just change their ways.

Thanks. Can you tell me what I'm doing wrong with my OC antagonist and why he fails as a sympathetic and redeemable antagonist done right, if not in general?

Hmm where is this villain oc, I'll take a look at him

Here's a link to his wiki page:

Odium

Holy FUCK it has been a long ass time.

It's okay. So, what do you think of him as a whole?

Did you read his wiki page yet?

Not yet, just got back from a funeral so I haven't had time to reread it to refresh my memory

Oh. Sorry about that.

Hello. Long time no see.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 20