The Griffon Kingdom 844 members · 516 stories
Comments ( 17 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 17

I have to try to think of many names for my griffon but have been having trouble. Would like your thoughts, please.

5304664 Well what are his main characteristics? What are his likes and dislikes, his goals, his loves, his hates? What kind of society has he grown up in and how has this effected his character? Names often have subtle insights into both what a person is like (as well as his parents or whoever gave him the name in the first place), for instance;

Charles:

The name's etymology is a Common Germanic noun *karlaz meaning "free man", which survives in English as churl (< Old English Ä‹eorl),[1] which developed its deprecating sense in the Middle English period.

Or my avatar's name is a latinised version of my real name whose etmology is basically "Born of Fire".

Just think about what his character is and the name might come to you, if not just tell me what he's like and I can help you on a name.

5304702 He finds killing to be the best thing in the world, and although he isn't a crazed killer who will murder anyone regardless of the law. When he does he maks sure they die quickly. he cynically pursues occupations as a bodyguard and soldier which allow him to kill legally. He generally hates soldiers who try to convince themselves otherwise that they don't enjoy it. He also has a strong fear of fire from being burnt by it when he was little.

He also displays small hints at being a reasonably affectionate and compassionate underneath despite his violent, aggressive and brutal ways. He loves alcohol more than any other drink though he wouldn't drink enough to get drunk while on the job. He has a soft spot for children though he tries to not show it.

5304716 I was going to say Luciano but that doesn't fit with the rest of his character, I'd say maybe Erwin or Stauffenberg.

5304716 So basically he's the hound.

5304735 Who? I'm not joking. Who is that?

5304734 Is Stauffenberg german? It sounds like it. I'm not trying to offend just curious.

5304738 This guy, Sandor Clegane

He's a character from Game of Thrones and the Song of Ice and Fire, and basically what you said about your character, that's pretty much word for word the Hound. He is a cynical yet reluctantly loyal 'dog' of Prince Joffrey, an insane and sadistic prince who becomes an even worse King. He starts of believing that the world is cruel therefore there's no point in being anything else, he even kills an innocent butchers boy on Joffrey's orders, though he softens up during the series, especially after he abandons Joffrey at the Battle of Blackwater. Oh and he's also afraid of Fire seeing as his brother Clegane (the Mountain) burned half his face merly for playing with his toys.

Sorry for this, however depending on the story this character can still be original, it just depends on how you plan to develop him. Everyone starts from a similar place, what matters is the journey.

"If any man dies with a clean sword, I'll R*** his F***ing CORPSE!"

5304754 Oh ok. So basically I made an Oc with the personality of a character already made

5304756 Its not a bad thing, if you put your own spin on it. Besides there are plenty of characters and stories that are similar to each other. Most of the characters in the Song of Ice and Fire are based of the personalities of historical figures and turned up to 11. Prince Joffrey is a combination of Edward Prince of Wales (Wars of the Roses (house Lancaster) and Caligula. Ned Stark is basically Richard Duke of York but with less political skill, Gandalf from Lord of the Rings is based on Odin, and Faramir is basically an author insert of Tolkien himself. If done right and with subtlety and intelligent thinking you can write anything that's been done before and make your audience like it all over again. Just look at MLP: FIM.

5304782 True. I watched a video of the hound saying any man dies with a clean sword. I need to watch the tv show......well more of the hound. The flesh around the griffon eye is supposed to be burnt flesh

5304741 Yeah, after General Stauffenberg who tried to kill Hitler. Luciano after the character in Code Geass also known as The Vampire of Britannia and The Genius of Homicide. Basically a grade A psychopath.

here are some posible names

coronos
gonzo
meridius
kretz
ibluz
Xavea
Eurytion
Grinnail
Bronzenail
Stormfeather
Astraios