Humans are Superior 4,505 members · 1,266 stories
Comments ( 42 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 42

So anyone notice in Bats! that Pinkie Pie has a flashlight?

Ponies have electricity...

What are they using to provide the power? Do they have oil fields somewhere? Wind turbines? Hydro electric dams? Coal? Natural gas?

Likely another case of technology being as advanced as the writing staff needs it to be at the given time. Steam power for trains, horse drawn trains, steampunk for the flim flam brothers' cider squeezy oil lamps, candles, flashlights. Its a flustercluck.

Or maybe it's a glowing magical gem, charged by a unicorn, shoved down a pipe.

BAM!

The official line was that any advanced tech is actually magic. It's like an inverse of Clarke's Law.

Pony tech is a cluster fuck that makes no sense due to cartoon logic dictating that they can have modern, steam punk, and Renaissance tech whenever it suits the plot, even though said technology either never returns or reappears in a primitive form in the same situation. The End.

As for power, probably magical electrical spells that are promptly forgotten in the next situation to suit the plot.

There was a dam with what looked like Tesla Coils in Mare Do Well.

Not all dams are related to electricity, it could be for irrigation.

they use magic

Pony tech is sumdup in one word: Magic. Plus, thus it really need to make sense in a cartoon ?

Actually, after what i saw in the Pinkie Pride episode, i guess they don't even know about electricity. In that Surgical Light or lamp in this case, was fireflies, freaking fireflies in the X-ray machine too.

Fuck this, i have more. Look at this damn thing, just look at it.

You can accept it, cuz this primitive flying fish just fit in the actual tech lvl in this world.
But not THIS stuff.

A actual ship with a engine. That was the point when i lost hope about this bubblegum LSD land.

They had a microwave which blew up a parasprite. This machine never appeared before and will probably never appear again. Unless they make a popcorn joke.

Equestria is probably best described as the result of a really weird game of Civilization.

That damn Gandhi and his nukes.

Honestly if pinkie does something I wouldn't take it seriously, however in mythical stories (sick but true) minotaur(s) were born from human and bull blood, maybe some human skills were transferred and the minotaurs are the creaters of the equestria tech

Ever notice that the candle on Twilight's old library door seemed to be painted on?

3831926 magically charged gems. Or fourthwall breaking anti-physics.

3831991 pseudo lakes.

3831926 Its pinkie for fucks sake

Given that in MMMMystery on the Friendship Express we saw Fluttershy shoveling coal into the engine my guess is that Equestria primarily uses coal and magic for fuel and is just beginning to see an industrial revolution

It's time to dust of the very useful argument of "IT'S A CARTOON, YOU CAN'T TAKE EVERY SINGLE THING THAT HAPPENS IN IT AS DEFINITIVE CANNON!".

But what the point of that? :trollestia:
Isn't more fun trying to put real world logic on cartoon logic?

So WHAT if it never ends up making sense? At the very least, the topic makes for a great debate, right?

I actually got a few good laughs at the examples that a few people here pointed out, :rainbowlaugh:

3831932 They have fucking video game machines.

3834724 Yes they do. Outside. With no visible power source. They have medical equipment powered by fireflies and Twilight builds a magitech portal machine out of spare scrap that was just lying around in the Rainbow Rocks movie that apparently runs on Tesla energy yet no one has a phone. They have engine powered ships in Manehatten yet horse powered taxi service and if we include the comics, which are canon apparently, we have all that alongside golden-age of piracy era shipwright technology alongside floodlight filled football fields and fucking DnD. There is no consistency whatsoever.

Hasbro is just to lazy or doesn't understand, so they add random shit just because its convenient Instead of just throwing in a msgic cloud and have all that is needed be done (which seems TO convenient) like in "its about time" it was convenient to have a spell just laying around about time travel....TIME TRAVEL! And twilight did that spell rather efficiently yet a teleport spell burnt a dragon.....BURNT A FIRE BREATHING DRAGON, how hot would that need to be, and scraps to a portal? That runs off magic? Withought anh prior knowledge off technology....wtf hasbro. They do put some thought and subliminal messages for the fandom, but when they hit a "bump in the road" they say "well what can fix this?" "Should we care what timeline?" "Pfffft No, no one is paying that much attention to details" "ok! " (adds yacht two minutes after seeing a guillotine next to a discount tim horton's with some kid playing a game boy color with his dad driving a hover craft drinking a herbal potion to clear his throat made from twigs and berries while his wife take a pharmacy brand headache pill telling her daughter in College on a scroll held and sent by magic.

Imagine the shame of the town drunk had to face.....then imaging the spinal destruction of the whore for thinking "500-1000 lbs? I can hold that up with my arms and knees, I should be fine

3832011 proof that pinkie is a killer, or best cover art for a "Cupcakes" three part novel series?

3835450 Why do we need to prove that she is a murderer? She is not, but Twilight in the other hand sure is.
Twilight Sparkle just killed a dozen of Pinkie clones, in order to find the real Pinkie Pie in the "Too Many Pinkie Pies" episode. If you ask me, sending back the clone to the lake or just vaporize it, the clone automatically have the same rights and a chance for life after "birth", like every other sapient being. So yes, Miss Sparkle is the killer here, not Miss Pie and her sugar overdose + hyperactivity. She harmless, ok maybe in the future this dose is going to be critical and she may be need serious medical treatment. And sorry, I'm not interested in drawing. :trollestia:

Yeah, but then if we followed that creed, and the show suddenly showed ponies using modern day technology (like it's done many times) then we, as a group, are fucked.

3835713 twilight yes and maybe, more maybe than yes and no is out of the equation. But look at "party of one" ignore pinkie, get flank slapped. Her flank crushing your skull and look on any youtube video about her sanity lets agree all six of these girls have some kind of problem, pinkie is just plain crazy, twilight is a perfectionist with a weak mind, rarity drama queen, etc etc. If pinkie is your favorite im sorry but she crazy, she isnt my MOST favorite, but even MY favorite mane 6 is a whiny bitch sometimes, "I dont care what you wollow in rarity just do it out of my hearing distance!" But according to canned cream that's what makes her so beloved, and by some terrified. Be honest is she normal? And when you say no say to youself "wth IS her problem"

Considering that flashlights would need either a battery, capacitor, or fuel cell (or an external power source, like an electric generator), it is not improbable for Equestria to have that technology, at least primitive forms of it. In the case of batteries, the first official electrochemical galvanic cell—the voltaic pile—was invented in 1800; although the "Baghdad Battery", predating the voltaic pile by about 2000 years, was speculated to have been an ancient battery, it is now thought to have served a completely different purpose—a storage container for papyrus scrolls. Capacitors are an even earlier technology than batteries, the invention of the Layden jar dating back to 1745. The first fuel cells date back to about 1838.

But even before any of that, electricity was slowly being discovered. Ancient cultures around the Mediterranean knew that certain objects, such as rods of amber, could be rubbed with cat's fur to attract light objects like feathers. They also recognized the electrical shocks delivered by certain animals like electric eels and rays. Several ancient writers, such as Pliny the Elder and Scribonius Largus, attested to the numbing effect of electric shocks delivered by catfish and torpedo rays, and knew that such shocks could travel along conducting objects. Electrostatic generators were discovered and investigated during the late 17th century.

—Generally speaking, given the consistent evidence of technology in the show (and discounting nonsensical one-off episode props like "hydroelectric dams" and "arcade machines"), we can most easily consider Equestria to be in a period of technological development roughly equivalent to Earth's first Industrial Revolution, lying somewhere between the 17th and 19th centuries.

There is a reason we haven't seen that or anything like it appear since its very brief appearance, at least not with any consistency. That reason is because it's a type of outlier known as a "one-off trope prop". Basically, what happened here is that the writers put that there because it's a trope that is iconic—something most of the audience should immediately recognize without the writers having to expend time or effort explaining it to them—something that evokes certain thoughts and emotions that the writers wanted to convey to the audience. In the case of the arcade cabinet, it was a sense of childhood, the feelings you had visiting an arcade—they could have used carnival games (which honestly would have fit the outdoor setting better) but that would have taken more effort. For the hydroelectric dam example... why a hydroelectric dam? Because that's what most of the audience immediately imagine, since it is the most iconic. And when the dam starts to break, who comes to save the day? ...A superhero, of course!

As you can see, many of the technological outliers are merely there either because they set an iconic scene that requires little to no explanation (arcade machines), or because it was convenient for the plot of that specific episode (hydroelectric dams).

3831926 Also, Twilight turns on the Library's lights with an electric switch click in the very first episode. Best not to dwell on it.

Not to mention the fact that Twilight is casually willing to use the Imperium Curse (the Reformation Spell). That sounds like mindrape to me, and that's not counting the want-it-need-it spell that she claims to have used before.

In a way, all of the mane 6 criminals. For example, Applejack and her family at SAA. they all use active slavery against sapient beings. Like cows, sheeps and other interesting sapient or half-sapient livestock on the planet.

I just assumed the cows/sheep wanted to be there. Regardless, Twilight is quite possibly evil, Pinkie is essentially Modern SpongeBob, Rainbow Dash is an egomaniac, and Fluttershy is just plain evil.

And yes, I hate Fluttershy for her evilness.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 42