Power Rangers Crossover Group 296 members · 134 stories
Comments ( 14 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 14

So, just saw the first episode.

Takaharu finally averts the Rookie Red Ranger trend after four years, as shown by him taking out a group of enemy mooks during the opening. Very similar to Shinkenger, I've gotta say.

However, he's still the fourth consecutive idiot Red we've had, if you count Hiromu's bluntness as idiocy. Oh well, at least we got one of the things Jarkes wanted.

Also, Momoninger seems to have channeled the Pink from the previous season. A group of enemies charged at her after she had used a technique, and as they charged, she said, "Shuriken Ninpo..." as a hole opened up in front of them, then said, "...it was actually a hole."

Also, when the Companion Ninjas were summoned, people who watched the Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers movie might notice a little bit of Adam in Kininger, as he said, "I got a dump truck?"

And it seems I was wrong about Byunmaru. It's actually a high-speed train, and Wanmaru rides inside it.

So, similarities to Kakuranger: Ninjas who fight against the Youkai, first episode is called "We're Ninja!"

Similarities to Shinkenger: They spin objects on their swords to activate abilities (Secret Discs and Nin Shurikens), Red fights a bunch of enemy mooks during the opening.

Also, the Last Ninja, their grandfather, sacrificed himself to seal away the enemy leader. Except it turns out, he's not dead at all. In fact, he was the one who gave them the Nin Shuriken for their Companion Ninjas, then showed up after the battle to let them know they still had a long way to go before they could hope to become like him

Is there a place where I could watch all the seasons of Supers Sentai?

4113001 I can't think of any single place you could watch them, no.

Where did u find it? I am totally watching this all the way thru.

It's just a photo for me. I'm on mobile. Does this matter?

4113691 Yes. It would lead you to a playlist on Facebook if you were on an actual computer.

Of course, with only one episode so far, it's not much of a playlist.

4114490 Well, there's still going to be the guy who has been releasing the sealing shurikens into objects. And the Big Bad himself. So it seems like it's going to come out to 51 episodes, since it might take more than one episode to take care of their Final Boss.

Okay, so let's get this out of the way right off the bat:

Shuriken Sentai Ninninger is pretty much Samurai Sentai Shinkenger with ninja.

The story, visual style, and henshin/weapon gimmicks, as well as the musical style, are straight out of Shinkenger.

However, the magic elements (ninja magic, naturally) and the fact that all the Ninninger are blood relatives evokes Magiranger.

And, of course, there are some very obvious influences and nods to Naruto floating around in here.

I won't go into plot or character details here. Instead, I'll cover the bare basics.

1. Costume design. Excellent, except I'm still not a fan of the visors this year.

2. Characters. It's a bit early to say, except yes, we DO have an idiot Red again. But, eh. Used to that by now. At least he's the most competent one of the group so far. None of the characters have really had time to develop yet, because the first episode was used to ram the show's plot down our throats.

3. Henshin gimmick. While Shinkenger used calligraphy phones for henshin, Ninninger uses Shinkenger's "attach a thing to the sword" schtick for the henshin gimmick as well as the mecha summon gimmick. It works.

4. Henshin/special attack noise. Yeah, they're noisy this year. Not as noisy as ToQger's, though.

5. Fight scenes. Very well done, more polished than ToQger's, nice use of the ninjutsu angle.

6. Mecha designs. They're all over the place. There is no unifying theme. I don't care WHAT Toei says about the mecha representing "Cool Japan", the mecha are just all over the place. Akaninger has a humanoid fighting robot, Aoninger has a dragon, Kininger has a dumptruck, Shironinger has a dog, and Momoninger has a bullet train. What's worse is...

7. The gattai robo. I am not really loving the gattai robo yet, because it tries something...very different, and it honestly ended up looking more stupid than anything. If any of you ever had the G1 Ultra Magnus toy, or the Powermaster Optimus Prime? Shurikenjin goes that route: four of the mecha form a headless robot body with an empty chest cavity, then Shinobimaru (Akaninger's robot mecha) sits in the gattai robo's chest and pilots it like Magitek armor, and the gattai robo's helmet/head goes over Shinobimaru's head.

Yeah. Not sold on that yet.

So far, my overall impression of Shuriken Sentai Ninninger is...

It's shaping up to be the kouhai of Samurai Sentai Shinkenger, which is my favorite Super Sentai of all time, so...aside from my reservations about the mecha, I like it so far.

4124229 Just you wait for their Sixth Ranger, Starninger. He's based on a cowboy and uses a Burgermeal-style device called the Ninja Star Burger to transform.

As for his mecha, Bisonking...his own humanoid mecha, Rodeomaru, combines with a second Otomonin, called Bison (take a guess what it's based on) to form Bisonking. It's Heavy Starbeast GoTaurus all over again.

4144213 Different Youkai, that were around during the Sengoku era. So they're not the same bunch that the Kakurangers fought against.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 14