Comments ( 23 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 23

As my first thread post in this group: the point of this thread is simple: comparing the tech of the ponies and the tech seen in the Avatar series.

avatar seems more farther then equestria.

Tricky question since the fandom (or the canon for that matter) can't seem to agree on where you put tech level for MLP. Equestria somewhere between AtLA and LoK in terms of technology.

Xinrick
Group Admin

1355343Avatar has the better Tech. Ponies only have, as we've seen, trains. Avatar...do I need to explain?:ajbemused:

Pirate Jesus
Group Contributor

Pony's have turntables as seen by Vinyl Scratch DJing. Score one for Equestria.

1355353 DJ-PON3's sound system, plastic flippers worn by the CMC, video game systems, the Airship in "Sweet and Elite". I could go on. they point to tech not unlike that seen in the Avatar series.

Xinrick
Group Admin

1355352The only thing we see from Equestria is trains. Avatar, whether it be Last Airbender or Korra, it Avatar has the better tech hands or hooves down

Xinrick
Group Admin

1355366I still go with Avatar. I dont know about video games, frankly turn tables and the like Im not sure, airships was made, and then made better in Avatar.... its up to the person but I kinda go with Avatar.

Trains, airships, at least electro-mechanical computers, phonographs, motion pictures, hydroelectric dams (which implies electricity)...

Xinrick
Group Admin

I still go with Avatar. I dont know about video games, frankly turn tables and the like Im not sure, airships was made, and then made better in Avatar.... its up to the person but I kinda go with Avatar.

I dont know the full thing but whatever all there own I guess...and why im stopping because I dont like conversations that could easily spiral into an argument:twilightsheepish:

1355343 well lets not forget the ponies have movie theaters and arcades.

And I have gotten into arguments over Equestria's tech level. Going of Korra then yes the Avatar world is more advance, they are basically steam/diesel punk 1920s, Equestria is more late Victorian. Compared to the Fire Nation at the end of the 100 year War then Equestria is more advance.

Xinrick
Group Admin

1355417I think I missed that part, when the hell is that even apart of the canon stuff?
1355420But ok then. That makes sense. But he asked about all of the tech from ponies to the Avatar series

also, in the case of ponies: it may be a matter of not needing to invent as much as we have. We rely in tech, ponies, for the most part, rely on magic. In Avatar, in some ways, they needed Benders. Firebenders can make lightning for easy power, maybe even their fires for heat. Waterbenders could help in making easy, clean drinking water. Earthbenders can help in the making of buildings made of different forms of earth.

Both universe are seemingly schizo with the technology (excluding LoK to a point) it's really hard to judge who is more advance.

Xinrick
Group Admin

1355457In some cases, but as far as time goes...I would go with Avatar on this one. We only started to see stuff in a few years with the ponies, and with the fire nation they only needed a year to get all there stuff in all technicality.

Equestria somewhere between AtLA and LoK in terms of technology.

That seems like the best answer.

They were also on a war footing for the past century, in WWII we could build a liberty ship in under a month (record was under a week). They have the industrial capacity that Equestria does not.

1355436 the babs seed ep and the hearts and hooves ep

1355472 the arcade is in the perfect stallion song and the movie theater is in the babs seed song

Boyzilla
Group Contributor

Between Avatar the Last Airbender, and MLP: FIM. The MLP has futher technological progression. However, as we see in many shows and games, by the time of Legend of Korra, human imagination and ingunity had broken down their limits and increased their tech to that greater than MLP.

Honestly, I think the pony race seems too reliant on magic atm. Hopefully they won't go into stagnation like wizards in Harry Potter series did.

I agree, war has a factor in tech, Equestria's peaceful times have halted their industrial progression, mostly military advancement. Their is a downside to 1000 years of peace I suppose.

MoldyShishkabob
Group Admin

In order from least to most:
TLA - Airships, war balloons, Fire Nation tanks, and Earth Nation caterpillars/tanks are pretty much the most advanced technologies.
MLP - Coal powered trains, arcade machines, movie theatres, modern cameras, phonographs, and scuba diving equipment are the most advanced things off the top of my head.
TLOK - Roaring Twenties/steampunk setting. Need I say more?

Plus, you have to include the MLPverse's magic and the Avatarverse's Bending. Those would change how advanced certain aspects are.

For example, MLP has a hydroelectric dam, from what we could assume. Korra's power plant was fueled by firebender's lightning generation. The difference here is that they have the same outcome, but MLP technically should be more advanced here, as it's controlled by the flow of water rather than manual labor.

Add in the fact that ponies lack hands pretty much all firearms up until breachloaders would be useless to a pony. And yeah the Pax Celestia would be a big factor as well

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 23