Prompt-a-Day 201 members · 13 stories
Comments ( 32 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 32
Peregrine Caged
Group Admin

Got a suggested prompt but don't feel like PMing me? Drop it here. Drop many here. We'll credit you with your suggestions, though we reserve the right to edit any prompts to better fit in line with what we think will be most effective. As well, sometimes prompts just don't match what we're after, so, while we thank you, we won't be using those.

Anyways, any and all suggestions are heartily welcome! Though a few guidelines:

- Keep them vague. These prompts should be very open ended, with few restrictions to allow maximum creative potential.
-- Please Note: Notice what all the prompt threads have in common so far? There is not a single character name to be found. This is too binding, instantly turning off people who don't like those characters or who can't/won't write them. They need to be more vague and open, allowing anypony to fill in the blanks.
- Keep them short. Someday I may offer larger scale prompts, but since these are simply exercises to jumpstart the creative process, they shouldn't be anything too serious.
- Make 'em fun! Above all, writing should be enjoyable! So these prompts can totally be a little on the silly or ridiculous side. Random often knocks loose the creative cobwebs, so this is even encouraged.

Good luck, and thanks again!

Luna wants cookies Celestia wants cake, which Princess will the sevents listen too?

"I was a mule before I ascended," Celestia said.

I'm gonna keep suggesting this until somebody writes it.

With a giant flash of light appears and a blue unicorn is standing in the middle. "What year is it?"
"It's 1783." Somepony replies. The unicorn rubs their head hey are from 2015.

2256057 Celestia and Luna are somehow the children of Discord and Zecora: Explain.

My favorite prompts are extremely vague. typically only a few unrelated words/names/phrases. that can give the wildest stories.

Just tie together the parts and make a story. The best part about these prompts are is they are not strict, no specific story you have to tell, just devices you have to put in.

Flip flops, :pinkiehappy: , Flamethrower

:scootangel:, Peter Gunn Theme, :fluttershysad:

Twilight is extremely ticklish, and one of the main 6 finds out!
A big, fun day out!
Applejack and Rainbow Dash finally discover who the most daring pony really is.

Just a few suggestions off the top of my head. :twilightblush:

Prompt time!
"You liar!"
"I refuse to accept anything less than perfection"
"If unicorns and pegasus can ascend then why can't earth ponies?"
"How did the first prince of Equestria come around?"
"What can truly be counted as an abnormality in this town anymore?"
"Weird face contest, GO!"
"A day in which a pony can only communicate by saying yes or no"
"Crying is illegal in this town"

Comment posted by FlutterPal deleted Dec 26th, 2013

"Facebook"
Everypony has been talking about the "internet", and even more about a social networking site on it called "Facebook". Take a pony of your choice and have them discover it.

Mine prompts that I will be suggesting:

"WHO WANTS TO MESS WITH THE PAIN TRAIN!"
"Why is there someone on the side of the train?"
"What is this bearded thing? Why is it singing about digging holes?"
"Are you a monkey?"
"Oh sweet Celestia, what is this deliciousness?"
A pony runs up and punches another pony in the face.
A pony with ultra-severe ADHD finds himself in Canterlot Castle.

PegasusMesa
Group Contributor

I—I swear, that never happens!

Discord unintentionally does something of note (heroic or otherwise) and is rewarded with his very own holiday

....Not sure if that's the proper way to write a prompt, but it is an idea ^^;

A 'What a twist!' fic.
A story with a massive build up, then an unexpected twist at the end.

--Sollace

Ok I have one more.

A strange new object appears in Ponyville.

--Sollace

Somepony takes a day off.

Sounds classic, can go just about anywhere

2746238 It should be called 'Discord Day' AKA the only day where Discord is ALLOWED to cause chaos. Or it could be the story of how April fools came to be.

My prompt:
I wonder if the 'Sword in the stone' really exists. Wanna go find it?

Did ya have ta cover the barn with that

"Let's Shave!"
A story in which ponies get shaved.

I don't know, I guess I would find it funny reading about hairless ponies.

--Sollace

The CMC are often seen as a Lovecraftian horror in fanfics, however they end up summoning Cthulhu.
the prompt is:
Cutie Mark Crusader Cthulhu
"Hey Applejack! Meet our newest Crusader! Cthulhu!"

and I reiterate my previous prompts.
Flip Flops, Pinkie Pie, Flamethrower.
Scootaloo, Peter Gunn Theme , Fluttershy

with a few other new three word prompts for good measure.

Wrestling, flower, minotaur
nun chucks, hats, jazz
trains, crossbow, martini.

For the three word prompts, just write a story that has, doesn't even need to focus, just has to have them at some point in a way that affects the story.

CSI: The Canterlot Intelligence Agency. Time for some detective fun!

Here, have a few some words that I've been planning to use as prompts for my own stories... some of which I doubt I'll be able to write well. To the best of my knowledge, these are indeed real (but obscure) English words, and what I have provided is (again, to the best of my knowledge) what they mean.

Salamandroid - like a salamander; able to withstand fire
Plodge - to trudge through anything in which the feet sink
Scripturient - having a violent desire to write
Galeanthropy - the delusion that one is a cat
Allision - intentional collision, especially of ships
Gilravage - to celebrate noisily; to go on a rampage
Amphigory - a poem that seems profound but is actually nonsense

.... that's probably enough weird words for now.

I just wrote a 7000 word story based on this prompt.

Thanks, I was really suffering from writer's block, but you fixed it.:yay:

I'll give you and the group a shout-out when I publish it. (It's called 'Delusions' have a look if you like. I probably took it way more seriously than I should have done, though.)

There is a live dolphin in the the fountain — nopony seems to know how it got there.

This is a idea that takes place in "Friendship is Magic Part 2" the pilot. After Luna is back to normal and no longer Nightmare Moon, Celestia wishes to spend more time with her sister and is afraid she cannot. So she gets her sister Luna three "friends" to spend time with her. Those friends are a royal guard, one of Celestia's servants, and one of Celestia's maids. They feel as though they're "forced" to babysit her. Soon they bond with Luna, and find themselves having rather much fun with her.

Silly prompt, I know. But I think that would make a rather nice oneshot.

X is Magic.

Example:
Coffee is Magic; Episode 1: Black

X can be anything you want but it has to serve as a key plot point for the story.

--Sollace

So apparently cherries are poisonous to equines.

... What the heck was Cherry Jubilee up to out on the cherry ranch?

Explain.

Prompt: Mind over matter
Overview: unknown to Emerald Shine, the utopia she sees is not as it all seems. Everything is happy and shining. There hasn't been a problem in a long time. Everything is perfect. Or so it seems... at night, she dreams of these fearful creatures, causing her distress. Almost as if she recognized these creatures. Can Emerald Shine find out what is wrong with the world she knows and sees? And most of all... can she escape?

Emerald Shine: a middle aged mare living in a small town at the base of the canterlot mountain. Having a green mane and tail, a green coat and green eyes, it's easy to see why she is called Emerald Shine. Her cheerful attitude makes her shine too.

Story takes place shortly before the Canterlot wedding.

for those writing, i intended this prompt to have the antagonist be the changelings. the "Reality" is a dreamstate that is induced by the changeling's cocoon to harvest love.

Idea alert

Under the weather

Two interpretations

1: A friend has fallen ill and the main character must help them while they recover.

2: A romance blossoms in the middle of rainy, snowy, or windy weather.

Those are my ideas.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 32