Atheist Bronies V2.2 275 members · 50 stories
Comments ( 5 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 5

It is with an heavy heart that I must report the death of The Amazing James Randi.

Not gonna lie, I thought he was already dead.

That was the false impression of his 2nd retirement:

James Randi was a professional magician believing that one should not use magictricks to defraud people. This code of ethics goes back to Harry Houdini who stated that it is wrong for magicians to use their tricks to defraud people (Harry Houdini created the modern code of Magical Ethics professional magicians use today).

At 60, James Randi decided to retire because many of his tricks are hard on the body and his body cannot take it any more (as someone whose body got messed up in a traffickaccident, I totally understand), but need something to occupy his time. He started educating full-time, thus keeping mentally active without putting stress on his body.

Tme takes its toll, and the fee charged is that James Randi just did not have the energy to continue any more and retired for the 2nd time 2 years ago at the age of 90. You probably mistook his disapearance from the public at the time as his death.

2 years after his 2nd retirement, he died at the age of 92.

RIP, what a legend we have lost.

I believe that the best response to your comment about James Randi is to quote the Skeptical Warrior Teal'C who fought false gods:

"¡Indeed!"
——
Teal'C

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 5