The Last Roundup 497 members · 70 stories
Comments ( 1 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 1
Obselescence
Group Admin

Feature Post: Sunday 9/21/2014

Pointless by Dark Avenger

Twilight Sparkle writes a letter to Princess Luna...

Morcraw ses: It's a well-written piece of character study in a letter format, though the first letter from Twilight strikes Morcraw as somewhat angsty. Luna's reply letter, however, ties this story up nicely -- it provides a good piece of character development and also some hints of worldbuilding flavors.

I Am Demon by Aquaman

I am Cold, swirling snow that turns ponies against each other. I am Survivor, the one the Friendfyre spell didn't catch. I am Demon, and Clover the Clever is my Master. *1st-place finalist in EqD's Outside Insight contest.*

Morcraw ses: No. I am demon. A fascinating tale with the unusual gimmick of working color into the narrative. It works beautifully once you understand what it's going for (although it will occasionally use white text, which may be aggravating to read on a light background).

Quills and Sofas by Just Horsing Around

A visiting Night Light is intrigued when his daughter mentions one of Ponyville's more unusual retailers – Quills and Sofas. Why quills? Why sofas? Why the two in combination? He can't resist the chance to investigate further...

Morcraw ses: Puns and silliness. A good comedy, if you enjoy that. The first chapter title tells all: "Sofa, So Good"

Twilight is away and Spike rapidly becomes bored. Luckily, he has five other awesome friends to hang out with. Doesn't he?

Morcraw ses: A strong character study on Spike, which focuses on the more childly aspects of his character. Points for not being too whiny or sad, as some similar efforts are wont to do, though some parts of it may feel a bit forced.

A tale from the times before Equestria, of chaos, an apple, and a love everlasting.

Morcraw ses: You know what? I like this one. Much of it is a (competently written) pony-retelling of the famous Golden Apple story from Greek Mythology, complete with old-timey speech. The ending pays off, though, and is equal parts amusing and heartwarming.

WILDCARDS

Chemistry by Fuzzyfurvert

Could you trust a pony that can make you love them, no matter what? Could you trust a friend with a secret past you've recently discovered? Twilight would really like answers to these questions.

Morcraw's Wildcomments: Slightly old. An exploration of addiction and the effects it can have on a person/pony's life, and with a subtle and intriguing plot to boot.

Warmongering by Bronywriter

A Diamond Dog king declares war on Equestria

Morcraw's Wildcomments: An amusingly written correspondence between Celestia and another nation's leader. It relies heavily, though, on repeating the same basic character gag in their back-and-forth, which hurts its comedic value. Fans of Equestria being hilariously overpowered may enjoy it. The second chapter is a bit more sober/less comedic and should probably be considered separately, as a more realistic view on a potential war situation involving Equestria.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 1