Them's Fightin' Herds 338 members · 46 stories
Comments ( 29 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 29

Is there something on the disk to make it the deluxe edition because the season pass is still available to buy seperately and I’m asking in case this ends up to be just the base game?

I have a physical copy of the game for my P.S.5 and had to buy the season pass.

I think this version of the game is called a "deluxe edition" because it has all of the updates that have been available on P.C. right out of the gate.

When I tried out the training mode, I had a bunch of different colors for Oleander that I went through.

I haven't engaged with the game much beyond that just yet.

Just got mine a couple days ago, and to say I'm impressed is an understatement. I'm a little disappointed in myself for not keeping tabs on it after the C&D of "Fighting is Magic" and substituent resurrection of Fightin' Herds, but I'm also kinda glad I held off until learning about the Console version.

Got myself the PS4 version, and it runs SMOOOOOTH. I only encountered slowdown once, and only when there were four predators on screen during combat (one on the stage, and three pacing in the background) and even then it wasn't by much and only lasted until I beat the first predator.

About the Season 1 pass, I actually asked Maximum Games about that (because it says on the box that it comes with the Pass), and I was told that the pass is already a part of the disk. You won't notice anything unless you REALLY look for the Pass exclusive colors and pixel costume items, or wait for Texas to actually be available.

Okay, it wasn't terribly clear.

As for the game itself, it is really well done for the most part. My only complaints are the fighting game controls don't translate to the platforming in the story mode, the lack or character choice in said story mode, and the cheap boss fight tricks also in story mode.

Beyond this, it's really good.

In terms of how the story mode is handled... I have to kind of agree and disagree. First, you're right, the platforming is wonky as hell, as it's asking the player to perform a rather complex set of commands for a simple jump (or an extended jump), which can be very demanding for people not used to H2H Fighters. Second, yeah, bosses are a mixed bag. I personally enjoyed the one-on-one, three round matches against other characters (even if they turn into SNK bosses at round 3), but the Snake one can go eat rocks. That one was just tedious.

Now, for what I disagree with. The character "selection" for story mode is played out the same way as MK9, where it's one story and you'll play as different characters as the story progresses. The first chapter is the only one currently available right now, and as such you can only play as Arizona. Chapter 2 (which is coming soon and might be a free update, as far as I know), will feature Velvet as the playable Character as she decides to go off on her quest. Later chapters will also follow suit, each playing (likely) a single character. I honestly prefer this method, as it allows for a cohesive story that has more depth and nuance, rather than a classic arcade story where you have a beginning cutscene, random fights, possibly a middle scene, more random fights, a final boss, and an epilogue. It also allows for players to get to know the (relatively small) list of core characters and enjoy their personalities a bit more.

Just remember, the story mode isn't done yet. We'll be getting more as they continue working on the game.

but the Snake one can go eat rocks. That one was just tedious.

*nervous laughter* That is the one I am currently stuck on.

That cheap ass snake is pretty annoying, but, I have to admit, that it has been made worse by the fact that I have been away from fighting games for about ten years.

So, that doesn't help, like, at all.

Nor does the fact that I have arthritis in both of my hands, but that happens after almost 34 year as a gamer. And the weather can play a role there too. So yeah, not helpful either.

Chapter 2 (which is coming soon and might be a free update, as far as I know), will feature Velvet as the playable Character as she decides to go off on her quest. Later chapters will also follow suit, each playing (likely) a single character.

I will probably be able to handle Velvet better than I can handle Arizona. Arizona is far to straight forwards for my tastes, and play style.

I can't land that rope for anything. :rainbowlaugh:

Just remember, the story mode isn't done yet. We'll be getting more as they continue working on the game.

I was not aware of that. Thanks for the heads up on that one.

Another hiccup that I will admit is totally on my end alone, is having to relearn how to read the 8/16 bit terrain in the story mode. It has been a really long since I've done that. :eeyup:

It's just a matter of breaking off the rust so to speak.

On how to beat the Snake, dodging the poison is easy, just move back and forth (and dash back and forth if the target is right on top of you). Even if you get hit by the spit once or twice, it doesn't do much damage so don't fret too much on it. As for the final round, you need to remember two things. The tail whip (regardless of direction) is telegraphed before it actually hits the plane Arizona is on, and all you need to do is jump it (just press Up). Nothing fancy, just time it and jump up. When he does the bite attack, the bit itself can be blocked, so hold backward (relative to the direction Arizona is facing), until the bite lands, then you can go in for the punish.

Heads up, though, Velvet will be a bit of an issue in round 3 of her fight, as she'll just start spamming projectiles almost constantly. I honestly suggest you take the time to learn how to use Arizona's rope, learn how to guard effectively, and learn when to jump, as all that will become VERY useful as the story mode progresses (rope use specifically literally saved my ass when I was in a super sticky situation near the end of the chapter).

Btw, no shame in going with an easier difficulty if it's a bit tough on you (especially if you have arthritis).

Hope you manage to shake off the rust effectively, dude, and enjoy the game to the fullest. Salt Mines await when you're ready to PVP and hang out with other players.

Yeah, I'll get past that snake, I've been through worse in my time as a gamer.

And shaking off the rust will take a bit, I've been away from fighting games in general for about ten years, but 2-D fighting games like this one for a lot longer.

My last of those was Street Fighter 4, so yeah, it's been a while.

If I had someone to train with it might help. It has worked well for me in the past.

Btw, no shame in going with an easier difficulty if it's a bit tough on you (especially if you have arthritis).

Yeah, I'm on beginner for that reason, and the fact that I am beginner when it comes to this game.

You start at the bottom and work your way up.

I'd help you train, but I'm rarely online with my PS4, mostly because I'm busy with other projects as it is.

However, the game does feature quite the robust training mode. Perhaps you should look into utilizing it?

I've already used it somewhat, but I have a similar issue about my gaming these days.

I mostly only play on weekends, and only at certain times.

Yeah, I can understand that. As I've said, I also have much less time to game lately (work, other hobbies like writing and drawing, hanging out with my wife), and I know the era of 8 hour sessions every other day for me is long gone. Still, when I get the time, I seize it (it's never a set time. It's very random and sporadic).

That said, always be glad to enjoy it when you can, especially if you consider it a hobby rather than just some form of entertainment.

At least in your case a major injury didn't play a role, so that's good.

But yeah, I run with it every chance I get.

oh jeez, sorry to hear you're injured. I hope you'll be ok.

Yeah, the fall left me with a dislocated right foot and broken right leg. I had to have surgery and everything.

Physically, I've recovered, I just need to finish putting the pieces of my daily life into the new slots I'm working with. I'm not there yet.

So, yet another set of compactions. *shrugs* That's life for you.

Yeah, I suppose. I wish you the best of luck, though.

I'll get there.

I'm more miffed that the story mode isn't fully ready yet. I need to know more about Oleander's personality than what I already have.

I want to use her with an O.C. of mine and need more information.

Well, you get some personality out of her when fighting (oh, and, spoiler, she's Arizona's final boss, so you get some interaction there too). Otherwise yeah, we're gonna have to wait a bit. Though, since MODUS has joined the project, Team MANE6 have said that they're now in full gear to work on characters and Story Mode Chapters, so who knows.

I have seen a video showing that part of Arizona's story mode chapter. I am not looking forward to attempting that with the overly finicky platforming in the game.

Still, I have been through worse. The dam level from NES TMNT game for example, that was pure liquid hell.

What part? The Oleander bossfight, or the mega-climb midway through the chapter?

Also, yeeeeeeah. Never played that stage of that particular TMNT game, but I've heard horror stories. Too young to go beyond the first couple stages, lol, and only had access to it through a babysitter.

The climb is the part I'm not looking forward to.

I have an issue with the movement being a wonky when playing. It will sometimes be under-responsive, and then go to being overresponsive. So that climb is going to be an issue in it of itself.

I wonder if it's some kind of bug that slipped through O.A? Whether or not it is remains to be seen, but it is a pain when it happens.

Also, yeeeeeeah. Never played that stage of that particular TMNT game, but I've heard horror stories. Too young to go beyond the first couple stages, lol, and only had access to it through a babysitter.

It is as bad as you've heard. Also, the TMNT Cowabunga Collection has that NES game in it if some some reason you're feeling machoistic and want to give it a go.

The option is there if you really want it.

Oh, I dunno if it'll help, but originally I tried to use the D-Pad while doing the climb because the D-pad helps me for precise inputs, but it made the platforming difficult. Then, I tried using the stick, and it was MUCH more responsive. Still finicky, yeah, but more manageable. Maybe switch to a different control type?

Also, nah, too many other games in my collection as it is, and I've long since lost interest in the TMNT series of games. They aren't bad as far as I'm aware, I just don't care for em.

I'll have to try different thing and see what works.

The games themselves aren't bad, but that dam level in the NES game is a bit of a nightmare. And I have no idea if the controls have been touch up in that game to make things less troublesome during that specific level.

Good luck.

Also, still, lots of games on my backlog anyway as well as games that I just want to play regardless of completion status, so it really beats out any interest I could have for TMNT. Devil May Cry 5, No More Heroes, DragonBall Xenoverse 2, R-Type Final 2, Bayonetta, Spyro Reignited, Them's Fightin' Herds, Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night, just to name a few.

I have Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 as well, that one can eat up a lot of time just by itself.

I am in a backlog situation too, so I know how it feels. Especially with creative work on top of the backlog.

Indeed.

But, yeah, good god does Xenoverse eat up a lot of time, but it's fine. Still my 6th favorite game of all time.

Yes, yes it does.

I haven't played that one in quiet a while now. What's more I have some DLC's to catch up on which isn't easy with my money situation. So I'll be behind there for a bit longer.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 29