Equus Metamorphosis Universe 24 members · 3 stories
Comments ( 13 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 13
boardgamebrony
Group Admin

Here are the costs of Pod Pals in 2054, which barely changes as the years go by up to 2072 when the core story starts, so you can use these for reference :)

(Note: Meta-Frames cost significantly more than this since they have to be tailored to specific operators, often employ medical functions, and require more maintenance and integration with human anatomy and biology. For now, I'll say a non-discounted Meta-Frame like the Rainbow Dash model costs around $100,000. Armin's costed $70,000 without counting the medical system installed in it, because of his mother's salaried employee discount and currently in the story, he's gotten about $5500 in upgrades FOR FREE from Pinkie and his personal successes within the individual floors. It pays to be a Paragon when you're with SYS-TER, folks :P )

(All prices are in United States Dollars)

Basic Pod Pal (like Pinkie Pie): $60,000
Cloud Uploading Yearly Fee $600
Monthly Maintenance Checkup:` $100 (without yearly insurance)
$20 (with yearly insurance)
Yearly Maintenance and Parts Insurance: $750
(Consider the $240 a year you'd pay in maintenance, that's $990 a year with insurance vs $1200 w/o)
(Monthly Payment plans available for all features and services)

Most Hardware Upgrades:
Tier 1 $200-$500
Tier 2 $500-$1000
Tier 3 $1000-$1500
Tier 4 $1500-$2500
Tier 5 $2500-$5000

Most Software Upgrades:
Basic: $250-$500 per installation

(Recharge Pods, like the one Pinkie sleeps in inside Armin's room, come free with a Basic Pod Pal.
Maintenance for them is free once per month, per pod)

Replacement/2nd Recharge Pod: $2000

If you have 2 Pod Pals, you get 10% off Maintenance, Parts, Hardware, Software for Them
If you have 3 Pod Pals, you get 15% off Maintenance, Parts, Hardware, Software for Them
If you have 4 Pod Pals, you get 20% off Maintenance, Parts, Hardware, Software for Them
These do not stack with employee stacks. Biggest discount is used.

Employers who employ a Pod Pal at a business for 20 hours or more
get 20% off Maintenance, Parts, Hardware, Software for Them

Pod Pals who work at any Technomancer Industries Branch for 20 hours or more
get 20% off Parts, Hardware, Software for Them
FREE maintenance once a month
FREE Cloud Uploading While Employed with the company
50% Yearly Insurance they may need

Pod Pals who work at any Technomancer Industries Branch for 40 hours or more
get 40% off Parts, Hardware, Software for Them
FREE maintenance once a month
FREE Cloud Uploading While Employed with the company
Free Yearly Insurance they may need

It's basically free research from an employee, so the company gives them lots of benefits. They want their tech to work for them.

Technomancer Employee DIscount
15% off Maintenance, Parts, Hardware, Software, Pod Pal Purchases, Meta-Frame Purchases
for working as an hourly employee
30% off Maintenance, Parts, Hardware, Software, Pod Pal Purchases, Meta-Frame Purchases
for working as a salaried employee
Discounts extend to immediate family

Psych Tech Checkup for Pod Pal (Psychologist for Pod Pal) $100 for 1st Visit within 30 day period
$50 for each visit therefater within 30 day period of 1st visit
Month worth of nutrition cubes for (1) Pod Pal $200

Potential Technomancer Jobs for Pod Pals
Daily Life Blogging ($10 up to max of 1 daily entry 1000 words or more)
Lab Assistant $40,000 a year
Security Detail $45,000 a year
Tour Guide $30,000 a year
Pod Pal Trainer $40,000 a year
Bodyguard (Based on Client. Usually between $40,000-$80,000 a year)

5345115 This is a lovely and great point of reference!

boardgamebrony
Group Admin

YAY! I made it cause you inspired me with your posts on the other thread :D *hugs*

5345115 What are legal statues of Pod pal? I mean for example could some one make one a health car proxies?

boardgamebrony
Group Admin

Another good question :D

The legal statuses of Pod Pals are unfortunately not uniform throughout the United States as of 2072, much less the world. Most states still consider them expensive property, but a few of the more progressive states have moved to give Pod Pals basic rights.

In Texas, the Pod Pals are treated like Property, so hurting them in any way is treated with fines like damaging someone's property.
In states like California and New York, Pod Pals have have all the basic legal human rights, except that they cannot marry each other or humans.
In Europe, Britain recognizes Pod Pal personhood, but they have limited rights. They can work, own property and enter virtually any establishment, but cannot vote, marry or press charges on anyone (and these three limitations are in all of the US)

By "health care proxy" do you mean kinda like Baymax from Big Hero 6? :) I'd say you could train and/or program one to do that, to basically perform Nurse Redheart's role from the original storyline "Equus Metamorphosis."

5345167 <<<Thought you might want to see this response too :)

Why the emphasis on no marriage? Especially since them being people's companions, on a very deep level? I mean, I figured we may see Pinkie Pie and Armin get a relationship upgrade, for instance.

5345260 I do, sorry on delays, had a massive storm knock out power for about 3 hours here. And the UK, and US thing also makes me see them as a very nebulous issue of what you can do with, "Property" because of what you can technically do with that kind of murky language. Especially used in such a way to ensure the proper things are kept posh.

boardgamebrony
Group Admin

Why the emphasis on no marriage? Especially since them being people's companions, on a very deep level? I mean, I figured we may see Pinkie Pie and Armin get a relationship upgrade, for instance.

Ah, I should probably clarify what I meant a little more. They can go through the ceremony of marriage. They can say they are married. But they will not be officially recognized by the state and will receive no tax benefits, amongst several other things like hospital visits or legal property transference upon death of the human partner.

If I were in the world of this story, I would definitely want them to be able to obtain all those benefits afforded to others. That could be the subject of another story later :)

I do, sorry on delays, had a massive storm knock out power for about 3 hours here. And the UK, and US thing also makes me see them as a very nebulous issue of what you can do with, "Property" because of what you can technically do with that kind of murky language. Especially used in such a way to ensure the proper things are kept posh.

The murky language of definitions can definitely be a source of contention between robot rights advocates and their opponents. I'll have to work this out more later as well :)

5345260 That but also if a Pod pal's partner is hurt and the partner left, in writing that his/her pod pal can make medical decisions for their partner.

What's the rough current cost of living for the average human at this time in the UK and US?

boardgamebrony
Group Admin

That but also if a Pod pal's partner is hurt and the partner left, in writing that his/her pod pal can make medical decisions for their partner.

Excellent point! Power of Attorney is important in such cases, so yes that would be worked out as often as it possibly can, except in rare cases where states don't recognize such rights. :/

5362919 Silentwooodfire made a good point I am amusing that though they are expensive that people's of this time can't hope to afford anything form the Technomancers.
But I would also like to ask about pod pal abuse and abandonment? I know some states would do nothing and some would but I would wounder what it would do to the pod pal's mind? You don't have to answer I'm just thinking.

5345115 I have another question, what about illegal, counterfeit, stolen or other countries trying to copy them? How are they athentacted or stop theft? Because you know they will try.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 13