The Disney Chronicles 135 members · 5 stories
Comments ( 19 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 19

Let’s take a look on each Disney animated films’ central theme. Basically is when a character learn a valuable lesson during the film. Not only the Disney characters but MLP character need to learn those valuable lesson as well.

* Pinocchio: Evil is easy, but it will get you nowhere good in the long run.

* Fantasia: Music expresses everyday events. Hear the music, see the music. (As for The Sorcerer’s Apprentice: Don’t start something you can’t finish).

* Dumbo: Your strengths can be found in unexpected places. To a degree, it also promotes the importance of maternal love.

* Bambi: The natural world is beautiful and intense all at once, governed by forces beyond our control. Without respect and careful thought, man can easily become the enemy of nature.

* Cinderella: Staying strong and hopeful, even if just a little bit, in circumstances that try to beat you down. Friendship, kindness, optimism are important strengths.

* Peter Pan: Not growing up sucks, but you should not let go of your inner child, either.

* Lady and the Tramp: The divide between the rich and the poor.

* The Sword in the Stone: Knowledge is power.

* Both The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh and Winnie the Pooh (2011): The nostalgic memories and carefree innocence of childhood. Also, the importance of having good friends and staying kind and loyal to them no matter what.

* The Fox and the Hound: What are the limits of the power of friendship under societal pressure?

* The Little Mermaid: Respecting the wishes of the people you love, and learning to change for them.

* Beauty and the Beast: Who you are inside is far more important than what’s on the outside. Being kind to others will make you a better person. People are always capable of change; while some never will, others will if given the chance. Can love be found in the least likely of places, or people?

* Aladdin: Be honest with yourself and others, for deception will only get you so far. Be careful of what you wish for, it may seem great at first, but was it worth it? What does it mean to be free? How dishonesty might affect your life. Happiness comes when we cease wishing to be something else and simply be who we were born to be.

* The Lion King: Taking responsibility, whether for yourself or for your duties. Even the most destructive despots will be deceptively charming. You cannot run from the past, only overcoming it will let it rest. Your loved ones will always be with you, even in death. How responsibility, freedom and your past interact, and what to do about past troubles.

* Pocahontas: Fearing racial differences leads to destruction; love, not just romantic but for fellow humans as a whole, is the only answer. Love and personal courage can change the world. The destructive nature of (racial) hatred and violent conflict.

* The Hunchback of Notre Dame: Again, it’s what’s inside that counts. We are all humans deserving of respect and love, no matter where we come from or what we look like (and it sucks to be an outcast, so why treat others that way). Again, selfless people can change the world. How the clergy can and has been used as a platform for corrupt ends. What makes the difference between a man and a monster? External appearances can be deceiving. True beauty (or ugliness) is found on the inside. The dangers of hatred, prejudice, and self-righteous hypocrisy.

* Hercules: Selflessness is what makes a hero, not strength or force of will. A person’s strength and worth is not defined by their might, fame, or stature, but by their character and integrity. One should also be themselves to achieve their goals instead of something they’re not for personal gain. Hercules’ Humble hero contrast with Hades’ Ambition is evil approach emphasizes this theme.

* Mulan: Do not be ashamed of who you are inside; live for yourself rather than the demands and prejudice of others. Gender roles are archaic; women are not inferior to men and have the capability to be as strong or stronger, and acting 'effeminate' does not make a man weaker.

* Tarzan: Family extends further than blood ties; adoptive parents can be just as loving as birth parents.

* The Emperor’s New Groove: What does it mean to be human? The power of friendship can change bad people for the better.

* Lilo & Stitch: Family refers to those who turn to each other when no one else will. The struggle of ‘ohana family immigrated the face of tragedy and hardship. Or as stated in the film itself: "’Ohana means family, and family means nobody get left behind or forgotten."

* Brother Bear: Love is round in unexpected places, and realizing this is an important Rite of Passage.

* Meet the Robinsons: Preserve towards the future and don’t let your past control you. "Keep moving forward." Don’t let the regrets of your past keep you from achieving the dreams of your future.

* The Princess and the Frog: Finding a balance in your life for hard work and for fun. Getting what you want is not always what you need; that need being love.

* Tangled: A free spirit can never remain confined for long. Your dreams will motivate you to achieve in life, but you may be overlooking what will truly make you happy. Again, the importance of honesty; however, this time the fact that dishonesty will make it harder for people to trust you is emphasized more than previously. Learning to assert yourself and realize your dreams. The film also has significant subtext about children growing up under abusive parents. In a departure from the original fairy tale, it isn’t the tower itself that keeps Rapunzel separated from the world, but Gothel’s years of gaslighting that have convinced her that she is too weak and the world is too cruel for her to ever do anything for herself. Rapunzel’s Coming-of-Age Story is realizing that Gothel is wrong.

* Wreck-It-Ralph: Don’t let your nature be defined by your role. Don’t drive people away simply because you dislike them. There could be a time when you need them most and they’re nowhere to be found. We should think about how others feel and be more inclusive. Likewise you mustn’t let your resentment get to you because if you lash out, you will often hurt innocent people and ruin the whole community.

* Frozen: The nature and importance of love, and how it is far greater than mere romance. The power of love, whether familial or romantic.

* Big Hero 6: Healing from a painful loss and not letting it consume you. Healing. Both the obvious kind (seen through Baymax’s role as The Medic), and the not-so-obvious kind (seen through Hiro’s struggle with the pain of losing his brother, and Professor Callaghan’s struggle with the pain of losing his daughter). Not all wounds can be stitched or bandaged; some require the aid of loyal friends. "On a scale of one to ten, how would you rate your pain?"

* Zootopia: The nature of bias and prejudice in a society, and the role we play in overcoming it. Regardless of who you are, you must define yourself and your positive change in the world. Broad, wanton discrimination can be hurtful, even when you mean well. And even though we all have our prejudices, we need to do our best to see past them for each other. Many people are unaware of their own prejudice. Those who supposedly display prejudice can also be a victim of prejudice. In fact, thinking they are prejudiced can be prejudice in and of itself. Likewise, a good, helpful, friendly, empathetic and kind-hearted person who hates prejudice can be prejudiced themselves.

* Moana: Searching for one’s identity and purpose.

* Frozen 2: The balance between independence and family.

Oh boy! It took me 15 minutes to put all central themes from each Disney animated films! Did I left out any Disney animated films? Leave the comment down the below!

Dinodisneylover1
Group Admin

Nicely done.

Tim Ribbert
Group Admin

Cool what about central themes for pixar movies

I will make that forum.

This thread is too big for me to add Pixar and I felt Pixar deserves their own thread.

Dramamaster829
Group Admin

Normally I start getting 'really' annoyed with you...

But I will admit, this is rather impressive work. And this is just for 'most' of the Walt Disney Animation Studios line. But yeah... I think the rest of the films deserves their own thread.

I am working on creating a thread for central theme for each of Pixar films if that’s okay with you.

I couldn’t cram all of Pixar films in since this forum is too big for me to add them.

Dramamaster829
Group Admin

Well of course it would be too big. And even when you couldn't get 'all' the films on the list for the Walt Disney Animation Studios list, I'm sure most of the fans get an idea. But then again, not 'every' movie has to have a moral to work with.

You do have a point about fans get an idea.

Maybe it’s unnecessary to creates another forum for central themes but with Pixar films.

I just want to let folks know about each of film’s central theme since there’s always a lesson to learn about.

Dramamaster829
Group Admin

Even 'Alice in Wonderland' has a 'slight' bit of a moral to it but only if you know how to find it. After all, when Alice got into that world, it was everything she imagined would be and it was just the kind of world she wanted: A world with nothing but pictures and everything is nonsense. Without knowledge or wisdom, our lives will be nothing but chaotic.

Also... It's one thing to give very good advice, it's another to 'follow' your own advice.

You missed a section of other important ones:

1. Make Mine Music
  2. Fun and Fancy Free
  3. Melody Time
  4. The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad
  5. Sleeping Beauty
  6. 101 Dalmatians
  7. The Jungle Book
  8. The Aristocats
  9. Robin Hood
  10. The Rescuers
  11. The Black Cauldron
  12. The Great Mouse Detective
  13. Oliver and Company
  14. The Rescuers Down Under
  15. A Goofy Movie
  16. Atlantis: The Lost Empire
  17. Treasure Planet
  18. Home on the Range
  19. Chicken Little
  20. Ralph Breaks the Internet

1. Mary Poppins

Technically that film is 95 percent live action with one animated segment.

1. Pete's Dragon

It’s basically live action movie with one animated character, this thread is only for full-on animated films, not the one with real actual people.

Well, I trying to figure out for the rest of them that I miss.

cheerful9
Group Contributor

Nice thought on them.

MarioBrony
Group Contributor

Very well thought out!

I wonder if Onward will have a moral like "sometimes we can always remember a thing from the past."?

Actually, the moral is to be appreciative of what you have before it's gone, not just mourning what was lost. In this case, while Ian has mourned his father, he had to learn that his own brother Barley was as close to a father as their own father could have been for Ian.

Dramamaster829
Group Admin

Couldn't have said it better myself. That was pretty much the moral I got when I first saw the movie on 'Disney+'. Even if Ian never got the chance to fully meet his father and even though his brother can be so embarrassing sometimes, the fact that he has always been there for Ian even at his lowest points goes to show he is just as caring of a father as any family. That siblings don't always to be portrayed as the type who constantly butt heads, poke fun at each other, or make each other miserable. But siblings are among the first friends they can have and for one to grow, the other must be there for them in their hour of need no matter how big or small.

Comment posted by shadowshion deleted Sep 2nd, 2020
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 19