Group Contributor
Mancin
Group Contributor

Hmmm...

EnergeticRider
Group Contributor
Gundamfan
Group Contributor

Im guaranteeing shitty CGI, watered down elements from the original, auto-tuning actors that cant sing, and the obvious race pandering. And before anyone brings up their counter-argument again, the original story was written in 1837 in Denmark. How many black Danes were there in 1837?

Admiral Producer
Group Contributor

I’m so excited for this. I can’t wait to see it. The Little Mermaid has always been one of those very special Disney movies to me, yet there’s a lot that they can update and refine for this iteration even so. I’m keeping an open mind and looking absolutely forward to seeing this remake. I can’t wait to see what they will do with it. My most anticipated movie of 2023 is still The Flash though.

Admiral Producer
Group Contributor

This is a fictional story with mermaids, sea witches, magical spells, talking fish, voices that can be ripped from you, and an underwater kingdom. Your excuse that “How many black Danes were there in 1837?” doesn’t apply here. While Disney’s race pandering is questionable to say the least, this is not meant to be a realistic story, so they have an excuse here.

shining paladin
Group Contributor

i can't wait:pinkiehappy::twilightsmile:

SweetAI Belle
Group Admin

Ah, good. We really needed a second thread about live action Disney movies being woke... :unsuresweetie:

--Sweetie Belle

Admiral Producer
Group Contributor

Me too. I’m especially glad that Alan Menkin is confirmed to be back. He always has a way of updating his scores for the remakes and making them sound even better than they did before. I can’t wait to hear what the music and songs sound like now with today’s sound mixing.

Admiral Producer
Group Contributor

Yeah, these really get tiring after a while, don’t they? Luckily there’s still sane people out there like us.

Boltstrike58
Group Contributor

I honestly couldn't care less what race Ariel is, I just don't like Disney live-action remakes.

Admiral Producer
Group Contributor

I respect your opinion on that and I understand why you feel that way. I do think a lot of them are pointless to a certain extent, but I always end up liking them anyway. None of them have gone on to be absolute favorites of mine, but they’re fun for what they are in my opinion, even if they can’t beat the classics.

Gundamfan
Group Contributor

Fine, but what excuse can One of the biggest companies in the world have for some of the worst CGI ever seen?? Have you seen Modok in Ant man? If they can afford to crank out these half-assed remakes like an assembly line, then they can at least afford some better effects and actors that can actually sing.

Im calling it. The main lead WILL be auto-tuned regardless of their singing capabilities.

Bad Dragon
Group Contributor

7812883 I don't like the scenes in the water. It doesn't even look as if it was underwater.

SweetAI Belle
Group Admin

Im calling it. The main lead WILL be auto-tuned regardless of their singing capabilities.

She will! Because everyone is autotuned these days with music, even in live performances. It's just that usually you can't tell unless it's being used as an effect or wasn't done well.

--Sweetie Belle

Admiral Producer
Group Contributor

I mean, after watching the Avatar movies and how amazing they are with their CGI, every other movie just looks inferior by comparison. And yeah, compared to Avatar: The Way of Water, the water CGI for this does not look great, I’ll give you that. However, if they’re able to pull off everything else, I’ll definitely be more forgiving. As for the auto-tuning, I personally don’t mind it. I don’t really have the ear to tell whether something is auto-tuned or not, so it’ll probably fly right by me.

Also, I wouldn’t call the remakes half-assed products on an assembly line. While they are pointless, there are definitely great ideas in there and most of them are executed well, even if they’re inferior to the animated originals.

A Man Undercover
Group Contributor

Most people often seem to be commenting on the CGI and the race switching this movie contains, particularly as an issue. For me, though, my issue is that the acting appears to be surprisingly stiff and bland, like the performers were apparently either restrained from giving their best or weren’t told to put in enough oomph.

Bad Dragon
Group Contributor

7812984 You've noticed that too?

Usually, the trailers try to blow up your brains, but with this one, you have to put in active effort to not fall asleep in the middle of it.

Everyone in the movie looks as if they're just acting. That's bad acting, IMO.

Amereep
Group Contributor

Fine, but what excuse can One of the biggest companies in the world have for some of the worst CGI ever seen??

Careful, Icarus, for the closer CGI gets to perfection, the closer it gets to the uncanny valley. (Heh, an old story being adapted to modern times.)

But in any case, I don't think we have much to worry about in the CGI department for this film. They're using a lot of shadows for a bunch of sea life that are mostly compiled with each other (like a school of fish), both elements that can help hide the flaws to bad rendering.

I think the real thing we should be worried about is the water physics and acrobats. There were a few times that I noticed the actors just floating there in an upright stance and hair that seems to be bobbing instead of flowing. We might need to be prepared for a mature approach from the actors as Ariel didn't come across as a teenager in love, but this is all my take on the trailer and not the movie.

Bad Dragon
Group Contributor

the closer CGI gets to perfection, the closer it gets to the uncanny valley

That's actually not true.

Only bad CGI has to worry about the uncanny valley.

JimmyHook19
Group Contributor

How many black Danes were there in 1837?

Racist much?

Comment posted by Gundamfan deleted Mar 13th, 2023
Gundamfan
Group Contributor

How the Hell did we go from Davy jones to ugh, She-hulk?

Amereep
Group Contributor

I was addressing it in a more broader sense, the kind that a director might resort to when they don't want to go the extra mile and leave it to the CGI team to finish the last 20% of the live action movie. Even if they are experts that got through the valley, they're bound to screw up somewhere, rolling them back into the valley.

It's like the live action Alita and the original trailer for the first Sonic movie, Alita's big eyes and Sonic's humanish body looked very bad (especially since they're standing next to a IRL person), but when Alita glares or Sonic smirks when the camera's up in his face, I think they nail that realism.

Basic sum up, don't rely on CGI too much for your live-action movie unless you can hide the flaws through some eye tricks. CGI is only as good as the world you're trying to build, any lower will make it bad... unless the entire movie was bad from the start (ex Foodfight!).

Bad Dragon
Group Contributor

7813040 7813053 I blame the lack of quality on decadence.

Big companies have existed for too long and now they think they're too big to fail. They don't struggle anymore. They just do the mere minimum and hope they'll recreate successes from the past.

GivingSpider
Group Contributor

Disney fans :” I’d love to see a live action remake of the classics!”

Also Disney fans :” It didn’t capture my imagination quite like the cartoons did when I was a kid; therefore this is garbage. It’s also too political for my taste, now that I’m old enough to notice things that look political. I miss not having to think about real world stuff. I kinda feel stabbed in the heart that Disney would change like the times. It’s already not fair that I had to grow up. Seeing Disney try to ‘mature’ with me feels like a malicious betrayal just to hurt me specifically .”

EnergeticRider
Group Contributor

Disney fans :” I’d love to see a live action remake of the classics!”

WUT?!

Goldstar
Group Contributor

Oh man, I don't think you were expecting the feedback you got from just sharing a trailer for people to be excited about. I do have my 2 cents on it however. I'm surprised they kept much of the original story elements like a human prince that Ariel falls in love with. It also looks like they'll have some kind of musical moment which the other live action remakes mostly lacked. Or it could have just been a shot made for the trailer only.

On one hand, I get it, an actor shouldn't be left out because of their race. A lot of older stories had majority white characters, just how it was at the time. I don't think Halle Bailey deserves backlash for taking the role even if the character was originally white. This is probably going to be a star making position for her. Sure she chose to take the role, but it's not her fault that the creative team lacked originality in replacing yet another ginger with a black person. Seriously, why is this such a common trend? Gingers are much rarer than black people, yet they're effectively being replaced and erased.

On the other hand, I tend to find race swaps lazy. Rather then invent or use already existing black characters, they just turn a white character into black. It's like trying to get all of the achievements of said white character onto a black character by merely race swapping. I consider it sloppy seconds. I'm black and I don't need to see black characters everywhere to feel like I'm valid as a person. Out of all racial minorities, at least in America, blacks are by far the most represented. It's like the creators think only white people are valid or that black people have to fill in the shoes of white people to be worthy people both of which I think are quite racist.

I'm the type who prefers new minority characters over changing a pre-existing character to one. Perhaps they could have added a new black mermaid to at least add some originality to otherwise retelling the same story in live action. I'm aware actual racists have used black Ariel as a means to push their views, of which I'm completely against. Problem is you can't really talk about this with automatically being lumped in with them.

Voice acting doesn't have the same pushback. Black people have voiced characters like Samurai Jack and Kratos from God of War. Sonic is usually voiced by a white or Asian man, but in one of the 90s cartoons he was voiced by Steve Urkel (Jaleel White) although this was pre mainstream Internet times. Also in Sonic Prime he's voiced by another black man, Deven Mack. Far as I know, no complaints. Knuckles' raps in Sonic Adventure 2 were clearly voiced by a black man (Hunnid-P) who was quite beloved for a long time. In as late as the 2022, Sonic the Hedgehog 2 movie, Knuckles was voiced by Idris Elba. No complaints far as I can tell, at least not any that the media ran with. Certainly no complaints from me, I think Knuckles works well as being black. In fact he was seemingly meant to be Jamaican. Now in the case of Sonic and Knuckles, they're animal characters without any human counterparts so I think people don't mind as much who voices them and there isn't just one set voice actor for them throughout the years.

So why do I bring that paragraph up? They're examples of at least some shape or form having black people voice non-black characters that did not receive a lot of negative feedback. I think what's happening is that people are getting tired of it. I do think The Little Mermaid trailers would have had less dislikes if Ariel were a ginger like she originally was, but it wouldn't have saved them from the other complaints like how dark things look. Well, that was pretty long winded.

EnergeticRider
Group Contributor

Voice acting doesn't have the same pushback.

Of course, it doesn't. People (at least normal people) don't care who provides the voice as long as the voice fits the character. I mean, you can make an argument that black people have voices that are somehow different than the voices of white people, but most can't see (hear) the difference, so they don't care.

GivingSpider
Group Contributor

Why else would a Disney fan watch a trailer/advert for a live action movie?

Bad Dragon
Group Contributor

7813181 Because Disney used to produce great entertainment and everybody hopes in their hearts that one day Disney will be able to produce something worth watching again.

MarioBrony
Group Contributor

here's hoping. Like I said, I just hope its not a wokefest.

Gundamfan
Group Contributor

Y'know, in this day and age a group of youtubers could probably pull it off. Just look at Corridor digital. Their CGI short films are incredible.

GivingSpider
Group Contributor

You don't want Disney to make great entertainment. You want Disney to do to you what they used to do when you were a kid, but you grew up and can't have that ever again.

GivingSpider
Group Contributor

Yes. Absolutely yes.

Bad Dragon
Group Contributor

7813233 Why is it that when I watch their 20-year-old movie that I haven't seen before, I'm still impressed? It's only their new movies that are unimpressive.

GivingSpider
Group Contributor

You tell me.
What is it about old Disney movies that resonates with you more than newer ones?

Bad Dragon
Group Contributor

7813246 They had a soul. They didn't have some metrics that make every movie the same as any other. They were driven by inspiration. They were breaking new ground. They tried to be original, discover something new.

Old Disney was not the same as the new Disney.

GivingSpider
Group Contributor

Is Disney different now? Yes.
But so are you. Whether you like it or not: you are not the same person you were back when they all felt new and original.
Disney could perfectly replicate that ‘lightning in a bottle’ secret sauce in their older movies and people would still find something to dislike about it: because there will always be ‘New Disney’ and ‘Old Disney.

Bad Dragon
Group Contributor

7813254 I've yet to find a single person saying, "The new stories from Disney are so much better than the old ones were."

Hell, the New Disney doesn't seem to even create stories of any kind. They're just recycling the old.

GivingSpider
Group Contributor

And Old Disney was also retelling old stories and mythologies. When they wen’t taking creative liberty with history, of course.
The whole damn world changed a lot more than Disney did in the past 20 years; they’ve just recently decided that they want some of that ‘Diversity Pie’ in their wallets.

Speaking of Pie; I’m pretty sure that the original 1928 design of Micky Mouse is going to enter Public Domain in a few years and damn it’s gonna be tasty.

Bad Dragon
Group Contributor

7813263 I'm not sure if there is a 'diversity pie'. All I've seen is confirmation of the saying: "Go woke, go broke."

GivingSpider
Group Contributor

Is Disney Bankrupt?
If yes: then they are broke for being woke.
If no: then they are not broke for being woke.

Follow up question: did Sesame Street go broke when they poorly introduced an Autistic Muppet?
That was pretty woke to just suddenly add autistic representation to the cast and then congratulate themselves for being more diverse. It was also just as lazy and poorly done as most of the instances of Disney going woke.

TheJediMasterEd
Group Contributor

How many mermaids were there in 1837?

EnergeticRider
Group Contributor

To see how bad it is and downvote. Probably. You see, I'm not actually a Disney fan. At least not when the animated movies are concerned. I only liked Lilo&Stich and Zootopia. And yes, if Disney will release live-action remake trailers of those movies I would watch them to see how bad they are and downvote them.

SweetAI Belle
Group Admin

How many black Danes were there in 1837?

Given that the Danish West Indies were big in the slave trafficking business, and Denmark abolishing slavery in 1803 doesn't exactly cause former slaves to vanish, probably quite a few.

--Sweetie Belle

Why are people being this toxic about a trailer for a children's movie?! The fvck is going on?!

Gundamfan
Group Contributor

Just Forget it. 😒

Goldstar
Group Contributor

Excuse me, what is this? Why does Sebastain look so awful in live action? Trying to make him look realistic just doesn't work IMO.

And this is Flounder. Going to look so uncanny seeing him talk looking like this. Maybe this is why they didn't give us Mushu in Mulan. I guess realistic looking talking animals hits a lot differently than cartoon ones.

Didn't Disney get copyright protections extended by 20 years? I feel they're going to do that again. No way in hell they want any of those works going into the public domain.

They did? I'm guessing the muppet was full of autistic stereotypes? Speaking of which, it's way rarer to see autistic characters than LGBT characters. Interesting. I guess it's in part due to how misunderstood autistic people are that we get very few such characters and even less that's not a genius or completely clueless.

I heard rumors that Lilo & Stitch live action movie is coming up in the near future. I mean probably, they're pumping out these live action remakes so fast.

Sadly the state of things. People are getting a lot more critical (and sometimes downright hostile) over this. Although at least the top comments are mostly just mockery and not something like racism or attacking the actress aside maybe for her acting.

SweetAI Belle
Group Admin

As long as I'm being all adminny, I think the toxic live action Disney threads have about run their course, and I'm locking 'em. If Lyra disagrees, she can unlock them... :unsuresweetie:

--Sweetie Belle

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 50