Friendship Is Awesomes 303 members · 14,548 stories
Comments ( 6 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 6
Ragnarok17
Group Admin

Doctor Octopus: Peter... I saw you as a son. I should've known you'd turn on me, just like all the others.
Spider-Man: Turn...? Turn?! I worshiped you! Your mind... your conscience... wanting to help others... the way you never gave up!
Doctor Octopus: That's because men like us have a duty. A responsibility. To use our talents in the service of others. Even if they don't appreciate it... we have to do what's best for those beneath us. Whether they understand it or not!
Spider-Man: No, you're wrong! You were everything I wanted to be! You just... threw it away!

You ever heard the warning "Never meet your heroes"?

There are people we admire, even idolize; people who are everything that we want to be. Even if we meet them only briefly, they have the power to change our lives. These mentors and idols teach us to use our full potential and do great things, and not only do we love them for it, we imagine that nothing could ever tarnish the memory that we hold of them.

Unfortunately, sometimes something does. And nowhere is this more true than in fiction.

When this trope is in play, if you look up to someone, chances are good that they're the scum of the earth. At least, they’re not what you think they are — or they were, but time has passed and the luster has faded. (This is particularly likely if the audience has just heard about them for the first time). If you're in law enforcement, you'll probably suffer the double blow of seeing their darkest secrets and having to be the one to put them in handcuffs. If your idol was your teacher, you'll find yourself repeating — with bitter irony — some maxim or mantra that you still hold but your mentor has since abandoned.

For example, in RWBY Volume 6, Team RWBY, JNR and Qrow loses faith on Ozpin after learning a dark secret about Salem and in fact he doesn't know how to defeat her shattered their faith on them (although, Team RWBY and JNR reconcile with him in Volume 8)

So what would be your OC's Broken Pedestal moment? For this one, it have to be someone your OC used to admires before realizes they are not one that your OC views as.

I go first

Raziel used to believe in wolf gods like Hati and hopefully they would answer his prayers as he suffered the abuses from his old pack but they didn't and let him to be suffered more which lead to Raziel renounced them as they are no better than anyone else and the fact Hati sides with his old pack who made his old life a living hell make it even worse.

Jin and Hawk admired Kazuya and took his lesson to their heart but after the death of Rei, Jin and Hawk begins distance themselves from Kazuya after realizes Kazuya was descent into madness by trying to destroy the Equestria's government. (Although, Kazuya redeems himself and reconcile with Jin and Hawk)

JNKing
Group Admin

Yep, the worst kind of way to lose faith in a hero. Welp... let's see...

The 'Of Scales and Fur' version of Shiva had a lot of faith in humans as good people. She fought with Myst over whether or not humans deserved to be killed, as Shiva had been raised by a very loving family, and strove to see the best in them. However, she then met Luco, learning how he tortured Myst into insanity and then sparked a war between dragons and wolves that had resulted in the deaths of countless lives.

Needless to say, her belief in humans took a really bad hit that day. However, it didn't fully break her, as she did still note that Luco was one man, not the entire human race. But still, the experience hardened her, and allowed her to achieve a middle ground with Myst where the two could work together more effectively and keep the wolf pack safe.

Luke and Darius, by extension, had a lot of faith in Myst. Though she was intense and brutal to humans, they fully believed that they were doing good work and helping people. Shiva opened their eyes to Myst's slaughter of innocent humans, and needless to say, Luke was hurt that he had been used as a thug for so long. He grew distant from Myst as a result, and though Darius didn't fully lose his faith and tried to guide Myst down a better path, Luke lost a lot of respect for his former Alpha.

Similarly, Celine and Kodo used to be thick as thieves, with Celine thinking the world of her older brother. However, after Sombra/Luco/other manipulations turned him into a monster, Celine got to see a very different side of her brother, and was heart-broken (Though similar to Jin, Hawk and Kazuya, Kodo managed to redeem himself and reconciled with Celine afterward)

Blaze used to think the world of Luco, believing he was a good man that had the best of intentions. However, after he abandoned her to be mutilated by Kodo and she learned of how he created Myst, she lost pretty much all respect for him, to the point of taking a new name - Phoenix - just to distance herself from him and his lies. Swift, Jackknife and Diamondback were also hit hard with this, but Blaze was without a doubt the one most deeply affected, since she had the closest relationship with Luco.

Additionally, Diamondback does a brief stint as a villain, and I'm considering having her betray the Knights during it. Needless to say, she'd lose all respect from Star, Swift, Jackknife and Phoenix, and even get replaced by Wildvine, not being allowed back on the team even if she attempted to redeem herself.

Finally, Fox and Cat both used to argue over whether the law could be trusted or if it was better to work outside the law. However, both got a very cruel wake up call when Fox discovered corrupt government officials that had been using her to impose tyranny on the small folk, while Cat discovered that the poor people he had been giving treasure to had been mooching off him and grew entitled, demanding he give them more when what he had been doing was a courtesy and kindness, not an expectation. The experiences caused the two to bond over the shared destruction of their ideals and beliefs, and helped speed them closer towards burying the hatchet and becoming a romantic couple.

I also wonder if Star Wing should have a moment where things get too much for her, and end up revealing to her children that she doesn't know everything, which would hit Frost Bite pretty hard since she saw Star as the pinnacle of heroism and glory.

Ragnarok17
Group Admin

Blaze used to think the world of Luco, believing he was a good man that had the best of intentions. However, after he abandoned her to be mutilated by Kodo and she learned of how he created Myst, she lost pretty much all respect for him, to the point of taking a new name - Phoenix - just to distance herself from him and his lies. Swift, Jackknife and Diamondback were also hit hard with this, but Blaze was without a doubt the one most deeply affected, since she had the closest relationship with Luco.

What's worse is that Blaze saw him as her father and yet, when he abandoned her to be mutilated by Kodo, she probably realizes that she was just another experiment for Luco and nothing more.

Yeah, I could see why she would be devastated by this.

Additionally, Diamondback does a brief stint as a villain, and I'm considering having her betray the Knights during it. Needless to say, she'd lose all respect from Star, Swift, Jackknife and Phoenix, and even get replaced by Wildvine, not being allowed back on the team even if she attempted to redeem herself.

If you have Diamondback betrays the dragons in Drake Six, Spike would be heartbroken by her betrayal and her going back on values friendship she said to him the first chapter... he would probably no longer have feelings for her anymore and ends up having feelings for Rarity even more.

I also wonder if Star Wing should have a moment where things get too much for her, and end up revealing to her children that she doesn't know everything, which would hit Frost Bite pretty hard since she saw Star as the pinnacle of heroism and glory.

Yeah, that would be a big wake up call for Frost Bite because she wanting to be the best of the best and living up to Star's legacy only to find out Star isn't perfect like she pictures.

It's giving me RWBY Volume 6 vibes where RWBY and Qrow turns on Ozpin when he said to them that he doesn't know how to defeat Salem. (I hope Frost Bite doesn't go Yang on Star or even punching her like Qrow did to Ozpin).

What did you think of Raziel renounced wolf gods like Hati for not answering his prayer?

NOTE: Not really serious one but more funny one.

Have you read RWBY Justice League book?

If not, In RWBYverse, Speed used to admired Batman and he considered him and Spider-Man as the comic book icons... until he read RWBY Justice League comic books and his admiration for Batman was shattered all because of ship tease moments between Batman and Weiss.

Speed would immediately tear the comic books apart before Dark Mark comes in.

RWBY Dark Mark: Speed! Why did you destroy the books?

RWBY Speed: (talk in tranquil fury) For years, I thought Batman was awesome hero along with Spider-Man but now, I realizes he's nothing more but a fucking playboy who trying to get cozy with my Weiss! If I ever meet Batman, I will break his back.

RWBY Dark Mark: (terrified) Got it, Speed.

P.S. The reason why RWBY Speed get angry toward Batman is because it makes him feel insecure about Weiss since he isn't rich or have cool gadgets like Batman have and worrying he will take Weiss away from him due to Batman always get the ladies.

JNKing
Group Admin

If you have Diamondback betrays the dragons in Drake Six, Spike would be heartbroken by her betrayal and her going back on values friendship she said to him the first chapter... he would probably no longer have feelings for her anymore and ends up having feelings for Rarity even more.

Very true. Even the Element of Generosity leaves Diamondback, going instead to her daughter Wildvine, who herself would worry that the others wouldn't like her due to her pretty much being stuck in Diamondback's shadow; inheriting her Element, taking her place on the team, and no doubt dealing with the damage she left behind.

As for Spike, I imagine that he'd go into a depression and even stay away from Rarity for a bit before remembering that Rarity isn't Diamondback, allowing him to trust Rarity again and maybe grow closer as a result.

Though I am hoping that if Diamondback does pull a fast one, it doesn't go against the values of friendship that she told Spike in the first chapter; shock value can work for a first viewing, but I don't want that to be all there would be to Diamondback's actions. She needs to have a reason for what she does. And right now, I don't see any reason why she'd betray Spike or his friends.

So, for now, let's count on Diamondback remaining the steadfast mentor figure that she's being for Spike. :raritywink: :twilightsmile:

Yeah, that would be a big wake up call for Frost Bite because she wanting to be the best of the best and living up to Star's legacy only to find out Star isn't perfect like she pictures.

It's giving me RWBY Volume 6 vibes where RWBY and Qrow turns on Ozpin when he said to them that he doesn't know how to defeat Salem. (I hope Frost Bite doesn't go Yang on Star or even punching her like Qrow did to Ozpin).

Frost wouldn't go Yang or Qrow on Star; she'd be upset, but she'd have enough tact to restrain herself. After which, she'd just give her mother the silent treatment, slowly processing what happened before eventually understanding it and growing closer to her mother, since now she doesn't have to see Star as some great inspiration to aspire towards.

What did you think of Raziel renounced wolf gods like Hati for not answering his prayer?

Reminds me a lot of how people can lose faith in religion. After all, how can there be a benevolent and kind god when there's so much cruelty and hate in the world? Raziel's broken pedestal is not only understandable, it's relatable.

Myst got past her own lack of prayers being answered by deciding that Luco was the God of her world, and a cruel and abusive one at that. So, she dedicated herself to fighting him, not really caring about other Gods or that Luco's not exactly high on the God totem pole. To her, he's the one who hurt her, so she's going to make him suffer. Again, I imagine she'd know where Raziel was coming from and bond with him over it.

Though, as an extra note, Logan would find the whole thing ironic: he started off not believing in Gods either; seeing them as just chess masters who see everyone around them as toys or tools to be used and discarded. Yet now, he's got Skoll in his head, and not only that, Skoll was the husband of Celestia, another demi-goddess whom Logan used to hate for manipulating him and getting his mother killed. So, in essence, Logan - a wolf who didn't believe in Gods - now has to deal with two Gods using his head and body, and he feels obligated to help them, whereas Raziel is more likely to condemn them.

Have you read RWBY Justice League book?

I've heard about it, but what I heard wasn't exactly encouraging, so I haven't read it.

In RWBYverse, Speed used to admired Batman and he considered him and Spider-Man as the comic book icons... until he read RWBY Justice League comic books and his admiration for Batman was shattered all because of ship tease moments between Batman and Weiss.

The reason why RWBY Speed get angry toward Batman is because it makes him feel insecure about Weiss since he isn't rich or have cool gadgets like Batman have and worrying he will take Weiss away from him due to Batman always get the ladies.

:pinkiegasp: Wow, Speed does not let anyone mess with his girlfriend. Not even Bruce Wayne himself.

Though, to be fair, Weiss would be getting set up to have her heart broken; Bruce may be good at pretending to be a playboy, but at the end of the day, he'll always be Batman. And Weiss just wouldn't be able to cut it for him.

Good on Speed for not letting Bruce risk getting Weiss' heart broken when he no-doubt leaves her for someone else.

And, just for good measure...

Speed: ... I realizes he's nothing more but a fucking playboy who trying to get cozy with my Weiss!

Weiss: (Laughs) As if I'd drop a loyal and true boyfriend for another edgy billionaire playboy who'd drop me like a used hat the second I started to bore him? (She'd then hug Speed) You give him way too much credit... and you forget the fact that all my life, I've dealt with boys like him. And all my life, I've let those boys know exactly where they can stuff it."

Ragnarok17
Group Admin

So, for now, let's count on Diamondback remaining the steadfast mentor figure that she's being for Spike. :raritywink: :twilightsmile:

Well, that's relief. :twilightsmile:

Frost wouldn't go Yang or Qrow on Star; she'd be upset, but she'd have enough tact to restrain herself. After which, she'd just give her mother the silent treatment, slowly processing what happened before eventually understanding it and growing closer to her mother, since now she doesn't have to see Star as some great inspiration to aspire towards.

I imagine she would becomes kinder to Moon too.

So, in essence, Logan - a wolf who didn't believe in Gods - now has to deal with two Gods using his head and body, and he feels obligated to help them, whereas Raziel is more likely to condemn them.

Irony, indeed. :rainbowlaugh:

It's like if they swapped place with each other!

Through with Skoll in his head, I can't help but Ryder would be teasing Logan about working with Celestia as well, start calling "Oscar" due of having a god in his head.

Ryder: (to Logan) Hey Oscar! Wait! Am I talking to Oscar or Ozpin cause get it, you got a god in your head who happened to be married to your arch-enemy, Princess Celestia!!!!!! :rainbowlaugh:

Though, to be fair, Weiss would be getting set up to have her heart broken; Bruce may be good at pretending to be a playboy, but at the end of the day, he'll always be Batman. And Weiss just wouldn't be able to cut it for him.

Good on Speed for not letting Bruce risk getting Weiss' heart broken when he no-doubt leaves her for someone else.

Yeah, Speed wouldn't forgive Bruce if he break Weiss' heart... no one break his girl's heart, not on his watch. :rainbowdetermined2:

Weiss: (Laughs) As if I'd drop a loyal and true boyfriend for another edgy billionaire playboy who'd drop me like a used hat the second I started to bore him? (She'd then hug Speed) You give him way too much credit... and you forget the fact that all my life, I've dealt with boys like him. And all my life, I've let those boys know exactly where they can stuff it."

Speed would hug her back as he smiles at her.

Speed: Unlike those punks, I will never leave you ever! I love you, Weiss.

NOTE: Sound like your Weiss wasn't going to let herself fall for good ol' Bruce's charm since she already dealt with guys like him before and Bruce would just be another one.

Bruce's charm may have work on a girl but definitely not Weiss. :rainbowdetermined2:

Awesome work! :pinkiehappy:

JNKing
Group Admin

I imagine Frost would becomes kinder to Moon too.

She would; recognizing that she doesn’t need Star’s approval would cool Frost’s competitive spirit and let her be more of a classic big sister to Moon.

With Skoll in Logan’s head, I can't help but Ryder would be teasing Logan about working with Celestia as well, start calling "Oscar" due of having a god in his head.

Ryder: (to Logan) Hey Oscar! Wait! Am I talking to Oscar or Ozpin cause get it, you got a god in your head who happened to be married to your arch-enemy, Princess Celestia!!!!!! :rainbowlaugh:

Logan’s reaction in a nutshell:

Yeah, Speed wouldn't forgive Bruce if he break Weiss' heart... no one break his girl's heart, not on his watch. :rainbowdetermined2:

And Weiss loves him for that. :heart:

NOTE: Sound like your Weiss wasn't going to let herself fall for good ol' Bruce's charm since she already dealt with guys like him before and Bruce would just be another one.

Bruce's charm may have work on a girl but definitely not Weiss. :rainbowdetermined2:

Oh yeah. :rainbowdetermined2:

Awesome work! :pinkiehappy:

Always happy to share. :twilightsmile:

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 6