Comments ( 5 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 5

im a rookie witer with issues with expnding what i write with detalis. i have a fic im working on that i need help with this. if anyone here knows halo well then please help me.

You should never just add stuff just to add stuff.
Readers will wade through it and get annoyed.

You want to add more details?

Sure, just make sure they have a purpose.
I'm adding these extra bits for...

Some reasons why you want to add details:

1. To show more of your world.
Let's say you have a story in which Fluttershy gets shrunk and is abducted by bees.
Spending time going over what it's like in a bee hive is good for putting readers in the story.

2. To create a mood.
Describing a sunny or dark gloomy forest can get the reader's emotions going.
It's not just a plain old forest, it's a tangled web of root and branch with subtle hints of decay mixed in.

3. To hint or give extra info on chars.
Going over the stumbling cider drunk pony's smell gives the readers more details.
Instead of saying "Buttercup is drunk", showing her stumbling about and smelling of sour would help readers sense what's going on.

Adding too much detail can slow and bore your readers.
Be aware of this and make sure you add the right amount.

So if you add a detail because you have a reason, that can be good enough to start.
A good editor can help you cut out extra stuff and to add more stuff when needed.

It's real easy to fall into the trap of detailing the stuff that's important and ignoring other things.
To show your world, almost everything requires a level of detail.

yup. it seems i can think of the detail but when i try to write it i forget where to put it, what the detail was, or both.

You could just write the story and come back and add in the details later.

One thing that I found useful with adding details is to imagine that I'm right there.
What do I sense?

Example from an original story I wrote:

It was a sorry excuse for a farm. Dead, dusty and don't forget ramshackle. Kurt Lewin gazed at the fenced in area to his left. The slightly twisted bones of two dead cows lay in the yellowish dirt and yellow dead grass.

Just keep swinging away at managing details, it does get easier later,

thanks for the tips.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 5