Fanfic Discussion 186 members · 463 stories
Comments ( 1 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 1

Dear Fanfic Discussion group,

My name is Mr. Album. I have relatively recently published the first two chapters of my new story My Little Poem:

http://www.fimfiction.net/story/81023/my-little-poem

I am looking for discussion about a couple of topics, and how they may be applied to fics in general. These topics came about as a result of current feedback on my story, which is why I linked it.

-"Son-of-a-mule"

Apparently, this can be considered "rascist" in the MLP universe, since Mules are sentient creatures. What are some thoughts on this? Is it really rascist? Are there other phrases we humans use that would fit in the same general category of Son-of-a-mule? Like bull-headed? What does the Mule race look like? What is its background? What is its current state?

-Issues with first-person narration

How much can a first-person narrator show without sacrificing his or her characterization? Should things that are every-day occurrences for the character be glossed over, or should the first-person narrator describe every little detail even when such descriptions are atypical for the character? Can a balance between detailed descriptive narration and character believability be achieved? If so, what would that look like? What are some tips for achieving that balance?

-OC's, and the tendency to assume that writers are their OC's

How often does an author base a character on themselves? Do such characters really look and feel like the author to the readers? Are there still differences between the author and this hypothetical OC? Can the reader tell the difference? How often does a reader assume that an OC is a self-insert? Is such an assumption valid? Why or why not?

Feel free to discuss! And if anyone wants to give more feedback, or bring up other discussion points from my story, that would be great!

Sincerely,

Mr. Album

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 1