Crossovers 7,377 members · 10,970 stories
Comments ( 27 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 27

Every day there are several "Hey why hasn't this been done" or "has somebody done this" threads in this forum.

Guess what? There's a very simple answer to every single one of these types of threads:

Stop asking why it hasn't been done, and do it.

Don't use "I'm a bad writer" as an excuse. Don't use "I don't really have time" as an excuse. Don't use "I've got too many other stories to work on" as an excuse.

Instead of posting threads asking why something hasn't been done, try this instead: open up your word processor of choice, or an actual physical notebook, take at least five minutes (preferably ten) to think of reasonable, logical ideas for what you want to see...

Then...START WRITING.

I vote this user for president, 2014

Today we present you the greatest person on the Internet.

I've been thinking this each time one of the threads popped up. I'm glad someone spoke up.

I've just been trying to post this sort of response in the actual threads. Didn't think to make a thread.

This guy (or girl) is saying what everyone else is thinking! :pinkiegasp:
Hurray! :yay:
inb4 People ironically posting their xover ideas the don't have time to write here.
Please don't do that. :pinkiesad2:

Why hasn't somebody posted this before? :pinkiecrazy:

Agreed. Hence why I'm already working on the outlay for the story on the thread I put up a few days ago :pinkiehappy:

...awwwww. I agree with you completely, but I also use those threads as sources of ideas to swipe. :pinkiehappy:

1543498 What kind of religious fanatic are you? Expecting people to actually do something! Doing things has been the death of this planet and this culture for centuries! :pinkiecrazy::derpytongue2:
If people quit doing things then no one would notice they were there, and no one would notice when they died!:pinkiesad2:
Besides, you left out why don't they use the search option to find out if something really hadn't been done before. :twilightangry2::facehoof::trixieshiftright:

I can't say I agree exactly. Encouraging people to write is always nice but on the other hand it's also good that people share ideas for stories that they are unwilling or unable to write themselves.

1543498 hmm, I could do that... If I didn't already have 6 more stories planned out after the 10 I have now haha.

1543498 I'm really glad someone decided to be an hero and post this.

1543682 I know you meant that in jest, but given the numbers you cited, I had to say this:

Go to my blog and view my project planner for August. Then view my actual posted stories list. Then go to my website which has all my non-FiM stuff. Count up the number of stories I'm either working on, have stopped working on, or have planned for the future.

I don't let little things like "I'm already working on too much" stop me from thinking up new story ideas and jotting down detailed notes for them, not to mention the sheer clutter of ideas constantly churning in my head. Seriously, I'm like Goo from Foster's Home For Imaginary Friends, except I rarely farm my ideas out to anypony else. :twilightoops:

1543891 oh trust me, i have six planned out after that are set to start or have already started. I have several more ideas in my head too

Why wasn't this thread done before?:rainbowwild:

The Original Ideas group and the Inexplicable Idea Incorporation groups are for that, though.

This group should be used to ask for help when merging franchises/universes rather than asking "Has this been done before?" "Why is this not a thing?".

Jigoku Luna
Group Admin

1544071 Good point, the reason I created the Interesting Crossover topic to give people a chance to show there's interest in rare and interesting crossovers.

And why the hell are any of these "excuses" bad? Sometimes people are terrible writers and can't think of any ideas beyond "X meets My Little Pony." Sometimes they can, but their ideas are terrible or they have no idea how to properly write a story. Sometimes they can't reasonably write a story because they're busy doing other things, (such as, you know, their jobs).

If for whatever reason, you really, really want to see a certain crossover, but lack the skill or time to get it done, than the best you can do is put the idea and hope someone else picks it up. There's nothing wrong with that, and telling people who can't write the crossover they want to shut up and write it makes you look like an asshole, so cut that shit out.

1544268 There's nothing wrong with posting an idea for other writers to use...in the appropriate groups and threads for that. That doesn't mean "start a new thread for every idea you come up with that you want to see done in the Crossovers forum". All it does is spam up the forum with dozens of pointless, unwanted threads and clutter everypony's notifications.

I thought the entire point of this group was to discuss crossover ideas, so I don't see how this is an inappropriate place for them.

1544369 DISCUSS, yes. Three or four new threads a day asking why a certain thing hasn't been done/asking people to do it, that isn't discussion. That's spam.

why hasn't some one put something up like this until now??

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 27