The Writers' Group 9,369 members · 57,186 stories
Comments ( 13 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 13

You could probably also use this to help come up with some new names for members of the Apple family.

Thanks! Slightly tangential, but interesting which of those I know (here in England) and which I don't. For example: Braeburn is extremely common here too, Red Delicious we know but barely eat in the UK, Snapdragon I've never heard of. Conversely, my local greengrocer stocks Cox, Russet and (the cooking apple) Bramley, all well known here but none of which are on the chart at all. Might be handy if the Apples have any Trottingham relatives! :eeyup:

Snapdragon sounds like a pirate name and I love it!

Do apples have so many names? Great information!

"Autumn Glory" is such a perfect pony name that I'm surprised it was never used.

I am however guessing that Nonnetit Bastard was vetoed as a pony name by Hasbro. :rainbowwild:

I’ve tried apples that aren’t on that list

The lady apple looks interesting

jazz apples? That’s calling for a mix of the meme “Ya like Jazz” and the saying “How you like them apples?”
“Ya like them jazz apples?” :pinkiehappy::rainbowlaugh:

Dang, the opal apple is such a pretty shade of yellow

Someone must be smitten to try the smitten apple :pinkiehappy:

Y'know, I've never heard of a Braeburn apple. I figured that name was original.

Where would AJ and Applebloom fit on this? If they were apples I mean

Applejack is a kind of fruit brandy made from apples, rather than the name of an apple cultivar like those on the chart. (Sidenote, for anyone interested, the word 'cultivar' is the plant equivalent of the word 'breed' we use for animals. Like there are many breeds of dogs, but they're all the species 'dog'. There are many cultivars of apple, but they're all generally the same species. Just like dog mutts, breeding different cultivars together can produce interesting mixes!)
There are probably a few specific cultivars that are better for making applejack than others, but I wouldn't know what those are, haha.

Apple Bloom is referring to the flowers of the apple tree.

Not all the Apple Family names are cultivars! There's a fair few named for other aspects of the plant and for things you can make from them!

Some of the Apple family's members are named for confections that have apples as a primary component. For example, Apple Fritter and Apple Bottoms.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 13