Pokemon Club 535 members · 190 stories
Comments ( 26 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 26

This is something I've wanted to talk about for a while now, actually. :ajsleepy:

I know that this message won't get far; I know I'm just one person who has this stupid thought that probably no one really cares about, but if you're willing to hear me out, then I thank you. I want to talk about a semi-serious thing that might actually drive the entire Pokemon fandom insane. Well, more insane than it is already, but you get the picture.

I want to talk about what I believe the fandom is leaning towards nowadays.

Recently, the new trailer for Pokemon Sun and Moon have come out. If you haven't seen it, here; take a look! It's really cool, and it's getting me really excited for November!

Everything's here, including a brand new region for us to explore, the awesome new legendary Pokemon, and the starters, Rowlet, Litten and Popplio. Rowlet and Litten have received an overwhelmingly positive response from Pokemon fans, what with the former being called "cute" because of his bowtie and the former being a breath of fresh air for finally a cat Pokemon we already know won't suck. But notice how I didn't include Popplio there? The poor water-type starter has been receiving negative feedback up the ass. And why?

Because of its design.

Allow me to repeat that. It's getting all of this hate because of its design.

For the sake of everyone, I'll try and refrain from getting angry during this "rant" like blog. However, I would like to express how disappointed I am with how almost everyone has reacted to Popplio. This is what I believe the majority of the Pokemon fans are becoming or have already become; they're so focused on the Pokemon designs that they forget the true beauty of things within. Corny? Yes. But true? Absolutely.

Remember Vanillux? How about Chandelure and Cofagrigus? Hell, even Oshawott, for the sake of connecting this back to Popplio! All of these really, REALLY good Pokemon SO many people have passed up because "Oh, it's ice cream, so it must suck!" or "Another inanimate object Pokemon? GameFreak is really running out of ideas!". And of course, let's not forget Oshawott who, if memory serves, was also bashed because of its design. Well, look how well ALL of these Pokemon turned out, eh? Vanillux and Chandelure are incredible special attackers, Cofagrigus is a stuprisingly sturdy Ghost-type, and Oshawott eventually evolves into the almighty Samurott, which people thought was awesome!

I don't think I've made a single point in this entire blog. :rainbowlaugh:

Okay, I won't drag this on any longer than it needs to be. The point I'm trying to make here is that you shouldn't judge a ANYTHING, let alone a Pokemon, by its appearance. Ever. The saying goes "Don't judge a book by its cover", and that's something a lot of Pokemon fans, not just kids, are forgetting.

Of course, I'm not ignoring the fact there are others who have listened to this rule. The Popplio Defense Squad has been put up on various media sites, and so far is doing a fantastic job in raising awareness for the little seal clown. I might not be choosing Popplio as my starter for this adventure, since my soul was pretty much bound to cats anyway, but I truly hope the best for him on this uphill battle.

If it makes him any happier though, my sister seems to have some interest in choosing him... :twilightsmile:

If you took the time to listen in, thank you. If you hate me because of this blog or thread or whatever, I don't blame you. Just know that if I did sound rude at all during this rant, I apologize.

Thank you, and everyone have an awesome day!

5231366 I was on Team Popplio since I watched the trailer, without asking anyone's opinions first. I don't see why people dislike it, it's adorable~ I don't like him because i'm defending him, I just feel like he's my favorite one out of the three.

I think people are just upset because of the Dolphin hype :trixieshiftright:

More than likely. :rainbowlaugh:

Thanks for the Popplio support. I know there ARE some people who downright love the thing! But unfortunately, those "some" are not the majority of the fandom right now.

5231376 I don't even see the hype for the owl. I mean, it's cute, but there's been cuter. "We've already had a seal" We also had an owl.

To be fair, Noctowl wasn't the best Pokemon statistically speaking. A starter owl would be a nice improvement to this! Also, let's face it; cat Pokemon kinda suck. Litten is bae and to have a cat Pokemon you automatically know is gonna be good because it's a starter Pokemon is a refreshing thought. :twilightsmile:

Honestly none of these starters are amazing to me Noctowl
Is cooler than Rowley and we've had a lot of cool cat Pokémon but Poplio is just a fusion of Walrein and Piplup who might I remind you had negative feedback as well we can't judge a starter til we see the final form.

5231392 Statistically speaking, Grass/Flying sucks, no matter how you look at it...

5231366 THANK YOU!!! I've been feeling the EXACT same freaking way, but just been quiet about it! They should NEVER judge Pokemon by design alone. I mean, WE HAVEN'T EVEN SEEN IT'S FINAL EVOLVED FORM and people are already bashing the heck out of him?! What is wrong with people nowadays? -_- TRUE Pokemon fans would NOT judge a Pokemon by their looks! Like you said, DON'T JUDGE A BOOK BY IT'S FREAKING COVER DARN IT!!! :flutterrage:

...but cat Pokemon statistically suck, Noctowl has WAY lower stats than other Pokemon, and Popplio... well, no, you got me there. :applejackunsure:

Yeah, anything with Tropius would answer that. :rainbowlaugh:

Thanks for the overwhelming amount of support! :pinkiehappy:

5231410 You've left Jumpluff sad...

Yeah, well...!

...yeah, well, fair point.

5231414 I actually posted on this thread today about a new pokemon in the trailer... Not a lot of replies though... and by a lot, I mean 1 :p

Stuff like this happens, I suppose. :applejackunsure:

I wasn't really speaking stat wise on Noctowl
And who all is considered cat Pokémon I know Meowth and the obvious ones.

5231452 5231436
Meowstic, Espurr, Litleo , Pyroar, Purloin, Liepard, Glameow, Purugly, Shinx, Luxio, Luxray, Zangoose, Skitty, Delcatty, Raikou, Espeon, Mew, Mewtwo, Meowth and Persain.

You can count Absol if you want or not.

I, uh... *backpedaling activated* ...I mean common housecat Pokemon. :twilightsheepish:

*sweats nervously*

5231471 Despite the countless cats, (and Skitty is the housecat), Litten will be the very first one to have three evolutions.

Oh hey, yeah, I guess you're right! :rainbowlaugh:

5231465 I don't like counting mewtwo as a cat I know mew a cat but Mt looks reptilian to me , also I have a Badass Pyroar and isn't Zangoose a mongoose.

5231485 He's described as a Cat Ferret.

Also since Mewtwo comes from Mew, that would make him a cat too, regardless how he looks.

Just my opinion of him I knew about the connection between the 2 .

Hmm...I see your point...the fandom...can be cruel, but the same thing was done to Oshawott...then we the evolutions...and it turned some people to pick it instead (plus the anime did Oshawott some justice)

For me...as someone who usually takes the fire starter (except Gen 6)...I may actually pick Popplio because Litten doesn't appeal to me for some odd reason and Rowlet does have an interesting typing, but it has a weakness to rock types now...and a quad weakness to ice types...doesn't make want to use it.

Popplio however appeals to me very well.

I personally have signed a blood oath with Litten, but I'm happy to see others supporting Popplio! :twilightsmile:

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 26