SALT Monthly Contest Archive 15 members · 11 stories
Comments ( 19 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 19
Firebirdbtops
Group Admin

Look alive guys! The past few turnouts have been a bit... lacking, but I want to get some real thought going on this one. That said, I am going to alter the format a bit. I think we may all have some sort of ADD, because at the first distraction, we forget that this is here.:derpytongue2: So, here is what I propose: I will give you a topic. Following that, you have 1 day to make your summary. Discussion begins after 24 hours, and we will discuss all the entries at once. Please make sure to tell each other what elements you feel would be necessary for each story to work, as well as any general advice you can think of. Do not be afraid to debate on the given advice. It can actually help more when you disagree. Now, to give you some time to understand the new rules, I will post the topic later. Post here to say that you have read this, and I will reply once the topic is up.

Frederick the Saiyan
Group Contributor

I'll try to join this time, sure.

Also, Fire, you have quite the knowledge of spices. I'm impressed; I thought you'd run out 5 months ago XD

Firebirdbtops
Group Admin

775101 :coolphoto: I just happen to really like food. :twistnerd:

I'll try, as always.

Firebirdbtops
Group Admin

I'll give this till tonight to get responses. Then, it's go time!

Firebirdbtops
Group Admin

775346 775101 Alright, it looks like we're it. Our topic at hand is:
Outside my window.
Put together a summary based entirely on a pony looking out the window.
We have 24 hours. Go!

Aquillo
Group Admin

Well, I'm a few minutes late, then. Got all nostalgic over the previous threads and came in to chuck a hat a ring. I am going to pretend said ring is still open.

Just woke up, so this might be a stupid question, but can we use window to mean a thing without glass? So that we can use sound, scent and my favourtist thing in all the writing world: wind?

Firebirdbtops
Group Admin

777119 I was actually hoping you would show up at some point. :yay: You are always welcome, and even if you weren't, being in charge gives you the unique right to barge in on anything located here. As for windows, you may consider a window to be defined as you stated. Honestly, it could even be a window to the soul if it takes your fancy. Open, shut, stained glass, or other windows may all apply.

*cracks knuckles* Ok, here goes.

Title: Can't You See What I See?
Characters: Pinkie Pie, the Cakes, the Main 6
Setting: Sugarcube Corner, Ponyville
Genre: Random, Comedy, Slice of Life
Plot; After Pinkie tries her own batch of specially-made cupcakes (the Brealundinsert, combining breakfast, lunch, dinner, and dessert into one treat), she not only gets a bad tummy-ache, but starts seeing things. Every time she looks out the window, she continues to see something different every day: something funny, something scary, or something random. Sometimes she sees a carnival going on, sometimes she sees a horrible monster approaching Sugarcube Corner step by step. The funny thing is, no one else seems to see what she's seeing, not her friends, not the Cakes. Will Pinkie ever regain her senses before her friends drag her off to the nuthouse?

Frederick the Saiyan
Group Contributor

Title:
Characters: Twilight, Spike, an unidentified stallion (image only)
Setting: The Library
Genre: Sad, Slice of Life
Plot: Twilight is talking to Spike about a picture mounted on the wall; the picture itself is done like a window, with a stallion painted as if outside. They're discussing is quirks and what he found funny, basically reminiscing about him. As the story continues, hints will be dropped that Spike is older (taller, stronger, wings coming in, maybe), but that Twilight is the same.

Long story short: The Elements made her, and the other bearers, immortal, and the stallion was her husband who recently passed away. Twilight painted the window when she was younger, because she liked the way it looked. An examination of immortality, regrets, but also hope for the future.

Firebirdbtops
Group Admin

Title: Admittance
Genre: Slice of life, Comedy
Summary: Screwloose may be barking mad, but she isn't really bad off. She gets three meals a day, plenty of walks, and all the attention she wants. The best part is her window. She gets to see all of the sick, injured and unhappy ponies that get sent to the hospital just before they check in. Those poor ponies are so sad. What would make their tails wag? Why, a little animal affection from the hospital's happiest mascot! So, while she may not be all there up top, she'll show that she has at least one thing in the right place.

Firebirdbtops
Group Admin

778608 Odd how ponies in an altered state of mind seem to have the best windows. :derpyderp2: Anyway, I was wondering about the something scary part you mentioned. If you wanted to go that route, it could be the MLP take on the parable of the boy who cried wolf. However, as you put a comedy tag, I have to ask, does she actually see what she think she is seeing? If so, then it's much like the old Loony Tunes short with the singing frog. You would need lots of back and fourth between Pinkie's version of events and her friends' obliviousness.

778865 Gah! De sad, it burns! Anyway, I assume you mean immortal and ageless, or you wouldn't need to hint at Spike's age. Is this taking place at a funeral/wake, or further afterward? You did say it was recent, but with only Spike in attendance, I would assume that much of this had already been discussed with her friends. You will need to have her start out her anecdotes with strength that falters if you want to go for maximum feels, as though she is testing herself to see how far into reminiscence she can go before cracking. Grief over a loved one usually is strongest when coupled with the happiest memories. However, you did say she had regrets, which is a bit unusual. What is she regretting? If she was with him, it shouldn't be over their marriage if she is grieving, leaving immortality, relationship troubles and cause of death as factors. If you are going for immortality, I would suggest having her remember discussions with her husband about the subject. If you are going for relationship troubles, I would need to know what kind. Finally, if she regrets the cause of death, then either she had some chance to save him, or his death was directly or indirectly caused by her. A simple absence for a princess related mission would suffice, leaving him to die alone. :fluttercry: You are going to have to narrow down the choices a bit more if you want to write this one.

Well, tags tend to be tentative with me. I'd kinda planned for it to be only Pinkie seeing what's out there, and since it's Pinkie, it's bound to be comedic, but I also thought of incorporating the boy who cried wolf thing, though with a slight twist.

Firebirdbtops
Group Admin

780280 I hope there is a :twistnerd:, considering I don't want her to be eaten by the end of the story. Meanwhile, I typed that up for you, and then I went on EQD and saw this. Don't you just love coincidence?

I certainly do. :pinkiehappy:

Oh, wow, that's heavy, Frederick. A window into her past, as it were. So poetic, so tragic. So the Elements have made Twilight's friends immortal? Interesting take.

Who doesn't love Screwloose? She has such potential to be a well-written character. Actually, that seems to be the case for a lot of characters we know little about, but I love the thought of her being nutty but good-natured.

Firebirdbtops
Group Admin

780293 Yeah, I was imagining her going up to the sick/hurt kids and basically acting like a playful dog. Licking and cuddling them while they recovered. Like a mentally ill patch addams or something.

Frederick the Saiyan
Group Contributor

780231 All good things to consider, thanks! It'd be fun to write this one, though I don't know if I'll ever actually do it.

780293 An idea more or less stolen from here. I liked it, so I ran away with it! XD

Now on to reviews (which are probably late, but ah well):

778608 Sounds trippy; I like it! Most of her friends will probably take it into stride, saying it's "Just Pinkie being Pinkie!"

779140 All of my daw! Very cute idea, and anything story with Screwloose is a good story!

Firebirdbtops
Group Admin

782948 Thanks. I don't know about how fun it is to write sad stuff, though.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 19