• Published 31st May 2012
  • 5,781 Views, 205 Comments

Wings for a Pony: Becoming Mommy - Brawney Hooves



Rainbow Dash learns what it means to be a mother as she raises her adopted son Clay.

  • ...
7
 205
 5,781

One Word

“Rainbow Dash.” Rainbow said, looking at the young colt as he sucked his hoof.

“Rain. Bow. Dash.” She repeated slowly. Clay continued to look at her.

“Come on Clay, you’re three years old now. You need to at least say one word.” Dash looked at her son and got no response.

“Ugh, well we can try again later. I promised to drop you off with Pinkie and the Cake twins.”

She picked up Clay and placed him in her saddle bag before leaving her home and taking off into the sky. Within seconds she landed outside of the front entrance of the gingerbread-like building. Dash walked in and was greeted by the friendly smile of Mrs. Cake, with both foals in a foal-pack.

“Rainbow Dash! It’s so good to see you here.”

“Thanks, Mrs. Cake. Is Pinkie here? I need to drop off Clay.”

“She’s in the back filling in an order, but I’ll let her know you’re here.” Mrs. Cake walked to the back of the room with her two children while Dash placed Clay on the floor.

“Now I need you to be good while I’m away, alright?” Clay giggled. “I’ll take that as a yes…can you say yes?”

Clay opened his mouth and Rainbow watched in anticipation, but it soon vanished when all he did was belch.

“Oh well.” She sighed.

Soon after Pinkie Pie came in bouncing with joy with the twins on her back.

“Hi Dashie! Hi Clay!” She said with a little too much enthusiasm.

“Hey Pinkie. You sure you can handle three foals at once?”

Pinkie waved a dismissive hoof. “Of course I can. And besides I have Mr. and Mrs. Cake around if I really need help.”

Rainbow arched an eyebrow. “Well, if you’re sure.”

“It’ll be fine Dashie, really!”

“Alright. Bye Clay, be good for Pinkie Pie.” Rainbow started to walk away when she heard a small whine. She turned around to see Clay reaching for her.

“Man, you’re clingy.” Dash walked over and nuzzled Clay’s face causing him to coo. Dash repeated her goodbye and left the building.

Rainbow sat on a nearby cloud, trying to enjoy her free time, but she found that no matter how hard she tried she couldn’t relax. She kept thinking about Clay not being able to talk.

“It’s been three years, he should have at least learned one word by now.” She groaned and fell onto her back. “I mean everypony else’s baby can talk, hell the Cake twins could talk within a month.” Dash lifted herself up and looked at the ground. “Am I doing something wrong?”

Realizing that taking a nap on a cloud was not going to happen she flew from the cloud and landed softly on the ground. She looked around trying to find something to take mind off things. As she did she spotted Ditzy Doo delivering the mail, and as she did Rainbow had an idea.

“Hey Ditzy!”

Ditzy waved back to her.

“Can I talk to you when you get a minute?” Ditzy nodded.

“Meet me at the Flower Petal.” With that Dash flew away once more.

Rainbow waited outside the Flower Petal, a small restaurant that she would stop by every once in a while. As she waited she saw the gray yellow wall-eyed pegasus approach.

“Thanks for coming Ditzy.”

“Sure Rainbow Dash. What do you want to talk about?”

“Well…I know that you have been raising Dinky by yourself. And she seems to be okay with that.” Ditzy raised an eyebrow. “I was wondering how do you do it?”

“Do what?” Ditzy replied.

“Raise a kid by yourself while you have a job.”

“Well you’re raising Clay by yourself, and you’re a Wonderbolt.”

“I mean how do you know you’re doing it right? Is there some kind of book you’re reading?”

Ditzy chuckled. “Rainbow Dash, none of the books out there will tell you how to be a good parent. It’s all instinct.”

“But I don’t have that instinct. I may be raising him, but he’s not my son.” Rainbows face fell. “My mother told me that when mothers hold their kid that there's this special link they develop, that a mother can feel it all the time…I don’t feel it with Clay.”

“You do love him right?”

“Of course I love him. What kind of question is that?” Rainbow snapped.

“Well then, you have nothing to worry about.” Dash looked confused. “You may not feel it now because you didn’t give birth to him. But every good mother feels that connection with their child. Some mares just get it later than others.”

Rainbow looked uncertainly at the mailmare. “But…how do I know when it happens?”

Ditzy gave a warm smile. “Trust me when the time comes…you’ll know.”

Ditzy said goodbye, returning to her mail route as Dash realized that she had to pick up Clay soon.
Rainbow Dash returned to Sugarcube Corner and found Pinkie Pie playing with Clay.

“Hey Pinkie…where are the twins?”

“Oh I put them to bed an hour ago. Clay didn’t want to sleep, so I thought I’d try to tire him out.”

Dash chuckled. “You can’t wear Clay out. That colt’s got almost as much energy as you.”

Dash called Clay over and he ran to her. Dash picked him up and hugged him tightly while Clay buried his head in her chest. Then to the surprise of both Rainbow and Pinkie, he spoke.

“Mommy.”

Dash went wide eyed as Pinkie gasped, “Oh my gosh his first word! This is the greatest play date ever!”

Dash looked down at the colt nuzzling her and to her embarrassment tears began to escape her eyes.

She finally felt it that invisible link that her mother had told her about. She felt as though she could tell exactly what he was feeling, and that feeling made her feel warm and happy inside.

Dash took Clay home and placed him in his crib. As Clay yawned and began to fall asleep, Dash wore a motherly smile and ruffled his mane slightly. Dash walked to her room and got settled into her bed. As she slept the smile may have left her face. . . but it never left her heart, and it never would for as long as she lived.