• Published 29th May 2015
  • 5,021 Views, 229 Comments

A Harmonic Sonata - keaton-furman-prower



Sonata Dusk, Princess Luna's faithful student, is sent to Ponyville to learn about friendship.

  • ...
5
 229
 5,021

Chapter 1.5: More Worries

Although Sonata had been quite determined to make friends the day before, she was currently having second thoughts about what Luna had told her.

“I don’t know, Spike,” she said as they made their way towards their carriage. “I mean, what will happen when I meet new ponies and I have to tell them about… well, you know?”

“Aw, relax,” said Spike. “I’m totally cool with it.”

“Yeah, but I hatched you!” Sonata pointed out. “You pretty much have to accept me because I’m your big sister slash mother slash mentor slash boss!”

“Yeah, that last one kind of stinks,” Spike deadpanned.

“But seriously, what am I supposed to do? I can’t just go up to somepony and say Hey, guess what? I’m not actually a pony, I’m actually a-

Before she could say another word, she bumped right into one of the unicorn guards standing next to the carriage.

“Oh! I’m sorry! I didn’t mean to-”

Her eyes widened as she noticed who the guard was.

“Oh… hi Dusk Shine.”

The lavender unicorn tried to smile as his eyes met hers, causing her to look away as her face turned red.

“So… I heard you’re going to Ponyville,” he said.

“Yeah,” said Sonata. “Princess Luna sent me to check up on, well, stuff.”

“You mean the, um, Summer Sun Celebration and whatnot?”

“Yeah, that.”

The two ponies looked away, trying desperately not to let each other see the redness spreading on their faces. Sonata was pawing at the floor, focusing with great intensity on a patch of soil she was digging up. Dusk, on the other hoof, was paying particular attention to how blue the sky was at this time of day.

“Oh, stop fooling around and kiss already!” Spike yelled, immediately breaking both ponies out of their stupor.

“Oh wow!” said Dusk. “You’d better get going! Ponyville waits for nopony!”

“Yeah!” said Sonata. “I mean, I have so much I need to check up on!”

Before Spike could complain, Sonata tossed him into the carriage and hopped in.

“Get us to Ponyville! And step on it!”


“You know, I still don’t understand why you don’t stop fooling around and ask him out already.”

Sonata sighed as the carriage sped through the air.

“Well, I know he’s cute and everything, but I’m worried! I mean, his big brother is the Captain of the Royal Guard!”

“So?”

“What do you mean so?” yelled Sonata. “What happens if the captain of the royal guard figures out his little brother is dating a singing sea monster?! He’s going to kill me! And then that’s going to ruin his relationship with Princess Snowdrop! And even if that doesn’t happen, how will Dusk Shine react when he finds out I’m a singing sea monster?! He’s gonna freak out and try to kill me! And then that’s gonna make Luna hate him, and that will-”

Before she could continue, Spike pulled something out of his sack.

“Here, Sonata. Eat this.”

“Ooh! Taco!”

Sonata happily grabbed the taco and began to devour it.

“Okay, Sonata. How about you make some friends in Ponyville, and then you can worry about Dusk Shine?”

Sonata sighed, and then looked into the distance, where a quaint little town was just visible in the distance.

“Okay, I’ll try,” she said.

That’s good enough for me.”

The pair sat down in the carriage, enjoying the journey.

“Are we there yet?”

Author's Note:

Because why not?