• Published 14th Jun 2012
  • 1,166 Views, 15 Comments

Brothers of the Balance - bronypanda



When a spell goes awry, two alicorn brothers surface and are forced to intervene in a royal conflict

  • ...
4
 15
 1,166

Haywire

Author's Note: Hello everypony, Bronypanda here, sorry for the wait but i've been a bit busy for the past few days and im finally gonna get this new chapter in, hope you guys enjoy!!




(tick tock, tick, tock, tick, tock) the large clock echoed through Princess Celestia's bedroom as sleep had slipped away from her knowing all was not well between she and her sister.

"She doesnt understand what's at stake" Celestia mumbled to herself. She clearly still disagreed with Luna.

The clock struck noon when she realized how long she had been sitting at her desk staring blankly down at some documents. Today the discussion would resume. The very thought of it made Celestia's head and heart ache. She knew her sister was still upset with her and she didn't like it when she felt seperated from her. The same feeling she had during Luna's 1000 year banishment and she wasn't in the mood to argue this time. Today would be the day when the repairs would be made.

"But how can i convince her that her desire for revenge would only spark greater conflict"? The princess thought as she slowy climbed into her bed for little bit of sleep.

On the other side of the castle, you could say Princess Luna was almost thinking the same thing...almost. Being a nocturnel pony, she too had gotten little rest. She paced the marble floor of her room, thinking about what her next course of action would be during the discussion this afternoon.

"She will not realize her mistake until it is too late, only then would she regret doubting my opinion". Luna growled as she stared into the large mirror in her room.

"I am as much a ruler of this kingdom as she is. I dont deserve to be treated this way"! She began raising her voice.

"Your highness, are you well"? A guard spoke behind the thick doors of her chambers.

Luna quickly snapped back to reality replying with a subtle "I'm fine". Although everything was not "fine". She needed to be heard by the court and more importantly, Her sister, if she was to prevent more destruction from reaching Canterlot.
Like i said before, Almost the same thoughts.

On another side of the Castle, beams of light could be seen through the windows of Shining Armor and Cadence's chambers. The royal couple lay on the floor from exhaustion, gasping for air, barely able to move due to the excessive use of magic in a short period of time. Twilight had shown them the technique in casting 'The Balance' and they appeared to be ready.

"Success"! Twilight jumped around the room, like she would if she were still a filly.

Although the spell seemed to have worked properly; 2 halves of an aqua green ring forming and coming together like the halves of a heart from Cadence's spell; there was no actual way to see if the spell was a success.

"Did it work"? The couple said in unison, still trying to catch their breath.

"No way to know for sure, but it says here that the spell must be performed from a distance so if the time comes, you'll have to come up to the balcony and do the spell with Cadence there, Shining Armor". Twilight said to her broher, her face deep in a book.

"Let's just hope we won't need it" Shining Armor replied, still tired from the difficult spell. "But why do I feel that there's more to this spell than meets the eye"?

"Well, its an ancient spell, I found this scroll in the 'Pony legends and History' wing of the library". Twilight said sheepishly.

"I guess only time will tell". Cadence spoke, finally recovering from their little 'exercise', you could call it.

5:30, it was time, not a word was spoken as the royal court and the 2 princesses slowly walked into the courtroom. The sisters gave a quick glance at one another, before taking their seats on opposite ends. The rest of the court memebers took quick bows to their majesties and hurried to their seats. Shining Armor cleared his throat and was the first to break the silence with the introductions.

"The Royal Court is now in session, discussion over the sentence of the changling race will now resume from yesterday, 4:26 P.M". He announced professionally.

"Thank you Captain". Princess Celestia nodded, "That will be all". She said, waving Shining Armor back to his post.

As he backed away, head bowed down, he rose his head to see his wife, and sister waiting at the balcony, looking terribly nervous. "Here we go".

"Now", Princess Luna started, "Where were we sister"? She said in a harsh tone.

"Back to where we ended yestarday and presenting evidence why, your motion is ludicrus". Celestia shot back, not looking at her sister, head in the air."Oh brilliant, THAT is how you start repairs..." The princess sarcastically thought to herself.

Luna was quickly agitated, "You still do not see right path in this matter sister". She said, rubbing her forehead.

"Very well...........I'm listening sister". Celestia replied trying to be more reasonable to hopefully get on Luna's good side.

Apparently it was working, Luna, along with the rest of the court had a suprised look on their faces, at Celestia's sudden change of thought, eager to hear what she would say next, even Shining Armor looked suprised. Over on the balcony, Twilight and Cadence looked at each other with hope in their eyes that the spell may not afterall be needed.

Luna continued, "Well, um....'ahem' um if you insist sister". She replied, still a bit suprised and taken back. She thought today would no different to the day before. Finally! Maybe this was her chance to persuade her sister! She used her magic to bring out some papers and maps that she had in a bag that ine of her guards was holding close by.

"From what my sources have managed to discover and report, A changling hive has been located near the edge of the Everfree, on the far side, to the north edge of Equestria. My. Consultants have warned me of the recent increase of activity in these hives". Luna explained. "I hope you can see what the inevitable will be sister". She asked, Hopefully.

Luna would not be pleased with her sister's answer. Trying as hard as she could, Celestia could not agree on what her sister was trying to say. She sighed when she knew how her next sentence would devestate Luna.

" I am sorry sister, but i know what you are thinking and once again, I must disagree, you believe that the increase in activity is a rising army, when it is no more than a mere increase in their population, trying to get back to their life, if you will". Celestia explained, with some hint of persuasion in her tone.

Luna sighed at her failure to persuade her sister. She could keep calm no longer because of Celestia's stuborness. Luna decided it was no longer time for politics, she had to make her sister understand, for the good of Equestria. With the last bit of peace escaping from her mind, she summoned her Canteot voice and went on the offensive on her sister.

"I CANNOT BELIEVE THIS, ISN'T IT OBVIOUS THAT THERE IS AN ARMY OUT THERE JUST WAITING FOR THE RIGHT MOMENT"?! Luna burst with all her fury. "ALL I AM GUILTY OF IS WANTING TO DEPLOY A SIMPLE SEARCH CAMPAIN TO ENSURE THAT OUR LAND IS SAFE FROM THOSE MONSTERS, YET YOU SIT HERE, COWERING BEHIND YOU'RE THRONE, AND FROM WHAT WE ALL CAN CLEARLY SEE SISTER, YOU ARE TOO SOFT"!!! The Princess roared in rage.

This had caused a snap in her sister. Now Princess Celestia had lost all calm demenor and had had enough of her sister's tantrum. It was her turn to be be on offense. And for the first time in thousands of years, SHE was going to use the Canterlot voice.

"HOW DARE YOU, HOW DARE YOU SPEAK TO ME ABOUT THE SAFTEY OF OUR LAND WITH SUCH DISGUST, IT WAS I WHO KEPT OUR LAND SAFE FOR THOUSANDS OF YEARS, I WHO HAS SACRIFICED ALL FOR THE GOOD OF PONY KIND, I WHO PUT AN END TO A CHILD'S JEALOUSY WHO LET HATRED OVERCOME HER A PUT EVERYPONY IN DANGER, THE PONY WHO BECAME THE REAL DANGER TO EQUESTRIA WAS YOU"!!!!

Realizing what she had just said, Celestia quickly wrapped her hooves on her mouth, ashamed at the painful memory that she had just brought up; tears flowing in her eyes. The whole room gasped in suprise. Shinging Armor lowered his head, knowing what had to be done, He looked over to the balcony and nodded to Cadence and Twilight, who nodded in return. Hopefully the spell would work. The captain quickly ran to the balcony, the ponies in the court still whispering and talking amongst themselves. Celestia still covering her mouth, crying, knowing that she could not take back her words. The only pony who said nothing..........was Luna.

oooooo

Silence. Silence was all that could be heard throughout the courtroom. Celestia, was still in tears because she had not chosen her words wisely, and yet, still nothing from Luna. Shining Armor raced to the balcony, hoping to end this before it escalated any further, but it was already too late.

The silence was finally broken, as Luna spoke; a mixture of anger and hurt in her tone. "I see..... Now i see what you really think sister. Now i see that i am nothing but a child to you. I was a fool to believe that you would listen, I thought THAT matter was forgiven long ago......I guess I was wrong".

"Luna please, I didn't mean a word of it... I...I was just angry". Celestia tried toreason with her.

"No, I will not listen to your excuses. They say a pony's mind is truely focused when they are in anger.....you meant it all...EVERY WORD''!!!!!!!! Luna was now more furious then ever as her horn lit with bursting magic.

Shining Armor finally made it to the balcony, with Cadence already focusing on the spell and Twilight nervously observing the event that was transpiring bellow. Realizing that his wife was to busy concentrating and his sister was still in shock, he quickly began his part of the spell. He walked over to Cadence; horn glowing, and touched the tip of his horn to hers. The two unicorn's magic then fused together, giving of an aqua green glow as the 2 halves of the ring began to form. As they opened their eyes, they saw the ring. Things were not going too well though, when Twilight noticed the couple losing their strength, unfortunatley, they had not rested well enough before using the spell again in the same day in such a short period of time.

"No! Not yet! It's too early! Just hold on a bit longer, its almost time". Twilight whispered as her body shook nervouslly.

Down bellow, things were also going haywire, Celestia, now more focused and no longer sobbing, was focusing on pacifiying her sister before she would do something she would regret, the two alicorn's horns flaring fiercly.

"Luna please, we can talk this through, it doesnt need to be this way. You dont want to do anything drastic, perhaps we can talk in private". Celestia begged, not wanting to start a fight with her sibling.

Luna barked back at Celestia, "NO! NO MORE WAITING, NO MORE TALKING, THIS ENDS NOOOWW"!!!!!!

In a shocking move, Luna fired a beam of magic directly at her sister; lethal or non would never be figured out. Terrified and baffled, Celestia thought quickly and fired a beam back, in order to stop Luna's attack from doing more damage then she intended.

Time slowed down.... It was now or never. Twilight looked to Cadence and Shining Armor. Now that the spell was complete, the two nodded and quickly shot the ring itno the courtoom.

The three were thinking the same thing at the same moment after the ring was fired, unfortunaltely, they had not aimed there shot very accurately; it was headed straight in between the two princess's beams. They watched in horror.

"Uh oh".

Instead of aiming the rings at the princesses, Shining Armor and Cadence fired their only shots blindly into the air due to panic and the lack of time to act. Just like that, the halves connected and formed the ring, not before it was struck by the two beams of magic just fired. Shining Armor observed in horror at their foolish mistake.

"How could this get any worse"?? He asked himself.

He would soon horribly regret tempting fate with a stupid question such as that when he noticed that Princess Celestia had seen the whole thing. Thousands of thoughts raced through his head as he thought of his career and future. Cadence would probably only be punished by having a discussion with her aunt becuase she was royal, but him, ooh he was finished.

"This is it Armor". He whimpered, " No more Captain of the Royal Guard, no more respect, no more Cadence, after dishonorable discharge, I'll probably be banished... OR WORSE"!

He was panicking much like Twilight would at a simple mistake. Must run in the family becuase Twilight was right there with him thinking about similar punishments.

"Oh no no no no no no no no....... This is bad, VERY bad" Twilight cried in her mind. "My role as prized pupil, my advanced studies, my relationship with the princess, GONE! She'll never see me as her prized student EVER AGAIN! She panicked.

While the 2 sparkle siblings were hiding in the corner crying like foals, Cadence, along with everypony else was staring at the orb of magic that floated near the ceiling of the room. Slowly pulsing, the aura soon took some golden shape that nopony could make out, a weird rod with an odd design of some sort, almost like a.....key.



Author' Note: welp, there you go, hope everypony's okay with this, and this isn't even NEAR the middle of the story; like before, suggestions, problems and comments down below.