• Published 27th Jan 2021
  • 350 Views, 6 Comments

Impossible Numbers' Flashfic Anthology, Volume Five - Impossible Numbers



Entries submitted for Loganberry's 150-Word Flashfic Contests. Individual genre ratings, story summaries, and links are included within the long description.

  • ...
1
 6
 350

Hello: To His Unimaginative Mistress

How to do justice via poetry? Justice to the one you love?

Written Script, a unicorn with a Canterlot past… but Ponyville in his soul! Its grassy knolls, its whispering treetops, its homegrown ponies.

Slick as a simile, burning with metaphor, imagery wherever he looked: seeing what was there, its soul, what was really there.

Juxtaposed by:

“Carrot Top”, farmer. She worked on a carrot farm. Farming carrots.

To her, simile sounded similar to “silly”. Carrots were carrots, not “unsheathed swords of golden holiness”. They didn’t need a shower of words. They needed a rain of… well, rain.

Yet Written Script needed her. In a world of illusions, she was as solid and nurturing as the planet that kept him from the existential void of space. And she – blind earth mole – needed his eyes.

Eventually, he wrote the perfect poem.

It began, “My mistress’ eyes are nothing like the sun…”

Comments ( 4 )

Quality stuff all around, from adventure and far-future tragedy to some touching romance. Thank you for the collection.

10658885

I ended up settling for just "anthology" as a genre tag because otherwise, I'd have violated the three-tags-only rule. Which is probably for the best, contra my previous practice: given how "miscellaneous" this ended up, "anthology" is the most important one for a reader to consider.

Glad you enjoyed this collection. :twilightsmile:

11011020

Honestly, this flashfic version I only put up for "historical" reasons, so to speak. It came first, but I originally didn't like it much because I had to leave out a lot of material I wanted put in. Hence why I published a longer version.

It wasn't "difficult", per se. Just one was published because I liked it more, and the other was more out of a sense of obligation.

Comment posted by gracesporer deleted Jun 11th, 2023
Login or register to comment