• Published 30th Sep 2022
  • 99 Views, 5 Comments

The Battle of Manor Del Toro - Auto-Buscus



Baron Barber has messed with the wrong stallion. Singer Case and the gang must rise to the occasion and take him down on his home turf.

  • ...
 5
 99

Chapter 1: The Trap

Seven years had passed, and much had changed over that long period of time. Things were much different not only in Singer's life, but all throughout Equestria. When Princess Celestia had approached him all those years ago, it hadn't been very long since Princess Luna had been freed. Equestria had faced a plethora of different threats over the years in the forms of Changelings, Discord's return, King Sombra at the Crystal Empire, Tirek, the Pony of Shadows, The Storm King and various other entities. Now, Equestria had been seemingly in a new era of peace.

Singer had been very surprised when he'd learned that the Princesses, Celestia and Luna, were stepping down and the newest Princess, Twilight Sparkle the Princess of Friendship, had taken over completely as Equestria's new ruler.

Now, this change had brought on a new development in Singer's life. When Celestia came to Singer seven years ago, she'd come to him with a proposal that quite frankly was big to process in the moment, but Singer had proven capable of performing the task, and he accepted. Celestia, having had previous knowledge of Singer's father's possession of not only the sword, but other artifacts that he'd collected over the years. These artifacts had been put into Record's care for safeguarding by one of Celestia's oldest and well thought of students. A unicorn by the name of Nelrim the Noble, who had served under the Princess fifty years prior.

Nelrim had been a student of Celestia's fifty years predating Twilight Sparkle. He was, like Twilight, very intelligent and very well mannered and respected. Good at heart in every way, but wasn't as powerful in magic. What he lacked in power, he made up for in craftsmanship. He'd constructed the very blade that Singer now had in his possession. It was built using ancient schematics of a more regal sword that had been forged even before Celestia and Luna had been born. Nelrim had a passion for finding ancient Equestrian magical artifacts that had been made by minds far more clever and powerful from the distant past.

He was also a pony with a big heart. He'd come across Golden Record as an orphaned foal after a fire in Canterlot destroyed his family, and raised him as his own. And with that, shared many of his secrets with his adopted son. However, it became clear that Record had his own ambitions, and Nelrim allowed him to pursue them. For he knew that his Pegasus son could never truly wield such power like he could, as well as the fact that Record was his own pony with his own dreams and Nelrim didn't force it upon him. But as he got older, and began to build his musical empire, Nelrim would come to him seeking help. Nelrim's enemies were hot on his trail and he needed somewhere to hide his work. So he'd gone to the stallion that he'd raised.

Record, who had felt an obligation to his adopted father, offered to keep his findings hidden however he saw fit. While Nelrim's work had been preserved, unfortunately the unicorn himself wasn't so lucky. He'd been killed by his enemies a few years after leaving his findings and work in Record's care. Record had done what he could and used his resources to not only hold them in hiding but to search for the artifacts that he'd not found yet.

Being that Singer was next in line after his father's disappearance, Celestia had explained all of this to him and given him the choice to continue the duty of guarding and seeking these artifacts out for himself or handing everything over to her before the vile ponies who had come after him could claim them.

Singer, knowing not really what would lie ahead, felt dutifully that it was his responsibility and accepted the task. And was given a royal seal to signify that he was under the order of Celestia herself. Singer, being an avid admirer of the great ruler himself, relished the opportunity and took it with great honor.

Without saying, there was also the responsibility thrust upon him as taking over his father's business as the new leader. And while he did so, balancing both aspects of his new life, he wouldn't do it alone.

Violet, his best friend since they were both six years old, had been there by his side. Over the last seven years, they were a formidable team. Violet had been Singer's assistant before the incident happened at the now completely rebuilt tower that housed the record label. She had become the new C.E.O. of the company and was in charge of keeping everything running, especially in her husband's absence when he needed to go off on special assignments.

Singer continued to be the face of the company, helping make the big decisions, while also doing performances in various areas. He didn't record new songs and put them on the charts near as much as he did before he took over because he was more focused on running things the way Record had run them. He was hooves on in working with the artists that was under their label when he was able to be there. When he wasn't off on his other endeavors.

Though, recently, Singer had not been getting letters from Celestia. Which was to be expected, given the fact that Celestia had retired from her role as Princess, and Twilight had yet to reach out to him. He'd never met Twilight before, but he'd heard good things about her. He'd hoped to continue his relationship with the crown under the new management. But Singer understood that he was probably not at the top of her priorities while she was undoubtedly being given a plethora of information to deal with as she was still new to her role as ruler. He'd hoped to maybe make a friend in her as he had with Celestia for the past seven years.

So, while that aspect of his life was lacking recently, he'd recently had been able to give more time to his company and to another important aspect of his life... his friends and family.

Speaking of Violet, not long after Singer had been given the assignment by Celestia, he'd realized how important Violet was to him and with Celestia as a witness to it, he asked Violet to be more than just friends. And to his pleasant surprise, Violet had been more than happy to agree, kissing him on the spot. The Princess of the Sun was overjoyed in the moment for them and would keep tabs on both of them during the remaining time of her reign.

Well their love grew and grew over the years, and not more than a year after they began dating, they got married.

As Singer sat at his desk in his office, daydreaming and reminiscing on the past, he moved his hoof past his countless items on his desk (action figures and and random trinkets and such) and picked up the picture from their wedding and looked at it with fond memories. She'd looked beautiful in her wedding dress, and stunned him to the point where he almost couldn't get his words out during their vows, but he'd muscled through it and said 'I do' and the rest was history.

Singer then turned his attention to another picture on his desk. A picture of his and Violet's daughter as a newborn foal. Melody Lillian Case, or just Melody, was now three years old, and the apple of her loving father's eye. While she looked a lot similar to Violet in her looks, save for her color in which she took more after Singer's own mother, being light blue with a blonde mane and tail, she was beginning to exhibit many of Singer's internal attributes like his adventurous spirit, bravery and independence. He smiled while looking at her picture, proud of the pegasus filly she was growing into. It already would be another year or two before she'd be ready for school. Something he wasn't sure he'd be ready for, but knew he'd have to deal with either way. His baby filly was already growing too fast for his liking.

As he sat there daydreaming, he'd been snapped out of it when he had a guest walk into his office. Violet walked in looking at her notepad, wearing her red framed reading glasses. Singer couldn't help but see this as "hot".

"Well hello beautiful" he flirted. "What brings you to my office?"

Violet giggled at this and pushed her glasses up her nose slightly and looked at him, smiling. "Oh, just business as usual. Although, I do have a break coming up and I'm feeling extra lonely. I was wondering if you would be so kind as to help me with my...longing for cuddling?" She stumbled over herself. "Ack! I messed that up terribly. I'm sorry, my mind and my emotions are not on the same page. I can't even flirt right."

Singer got up from his desk and wrapped his forelimbs around her as she sat down in the chair in front of his desk. "I got the idea, babe. Don't worry." He winked at her, getting a blush out of her. "That's because you work so hard and do such a great job as a mom. I don't blame you for being a little frazzled from time to time. But that doesn't make it any less hot."

"Well, you certainly do know how to make me feel better. I needed to hear that." She nuzzled him.

"Hey, I mean it. I wouldn't be anything without you. This company wouldn't be where it's at without you. I'd be lost if I didn't have you with me. I love you Violet. That's why you're my best friend."

"And you're mine." She kissed him passionately. "I love you, too!"

They embraced for another minute or two before letting up. "But I take it that's not entirely why you came to see me."

"Right, that's correct. I'm here to remind you that in a couple of hours, you're due to leave on the train to Las Pegasus. Buckshot's big race happening and you're due to perform the pre race ceremonies."

"Ah yes, I'm packed and ready to go and I got the three extra tickets for the train. You sure you don't want to go?"

"I'm sure. From what you've told me about LP, I'm not sure I'm keen on making that trip. But I'm sure you and the others will have fun. And remember, no gambling or other stupid things like drinking."

"We will, but I'll be missing you and Melody the whole time. And don't worry, gambling and drinking are Buckshot's and Brawn's thing. I'll never understand the appeal, but whatevs. As long as they don't try to involve me."

Violet laughed. "Well, drink plenty of root beer for the both of us then."

"I will. I'd bring you back some cheese fries, but let's be honest, they wouldn't make the trip back."

"No they wouldn't." She said, kissing him goodbye. "You'd probably best get on your way. Rounding up the others will probably be a task in of itself."

"Sure thing. I'll be back before you know it. Love you, honey!"

"I love you too. Don't worry, everything is in capable hooves."

"I know they are." He smiled warmly at her as he turned to leave.

……….


Well, Singer wished he could say that rounding up his friends was a fruitful and painless venture, but there were a few snags. The two other stallions of the group were the more painful of the three to get into shape.

Fives, who had taken time off of her job as a police officer, was one of the friends Singer was rounding up but she was packed and waiting on him. Fives was also the daughter of the Police Chief of the Manehattan PD, Blue Streak, and was expected to be orderly and punctual. She was a dark grey earth pony mare with a standing up black mane with a white streak going up the middle, and a short tail of the same color. Her cutie mark was similar to her father's. It was a police badge. She worked hard to carry on her father's reputation as a by the book, and proper pony who did things by the book. Though she wasn't without her own mischievous side to her when she wasn't on duty.

Singer had made it to Marsh Street, where Fives took residence in one of the houses and as mentioned previously, was waiting for him.

"So, you got the easy one out of the way first, eh?" she remarked as she saw Singer showed up without the others in tow.

"That and I figured you could help me whip the others into shape because I just know they are going to make us wait on them for a bit, as at least one of them probably procrastinated on their packing." Singer replied.

"Not on my watch" Fives smirked. "I'll make sure that they're ready to go on the double!"

"I thought you were taking the day off, sarge..." Singer remarked.

"The Orderly take no breaks, my dear friend."

"Well that's good then. Because we are in a hurry to get there early."

"What are you waiting on slow poke? I'm already half way there!"

Fives waved to come on, and Singer followed her, hovering with his saddle bag on him, and his earth pony friend the same. They needed to hurry down a couple of blocks, making sure not to jaywalk in front of any wagon or carriage pulling ponies. For Singer especially, in fear that his off duty officer friend would still try to give him a citation.

They'd made it to Copper Street where Comet was living in an apartment. Singer, deciding against going into the building and up an elevator to his floor, choosing instead to fly up to the third story of the seven story building and knock on Comet's window.

Comet, who had been scrambling to get his stuff put together at the last minute, saw Singer at the window and came over and opened it.

"Hey! Sorry Sing. I know I'm running a little behind, but I was just making sure I had all my snacks in order."

The yellow unicorn stallion with his white blue streaked mane and tail (in a bit of a mess of its own), found the last of his things he was taking and teleported outside. His cutie mark was a comet with a tail streaming from it.

As he stood next to Fives, and as Singer hovered gently but quickly down to them, he winced as he knew Fives was going to make a remark.

"And you say mares take forever to get ready, ha! I was ready fifteen minutes early and you were fifteen minutes late!" Fives smirked as she rubbed it in.

"I couldn't help it! I didn't get a lot of sleep last night. I've been waiting for this trip to Las Pegasus for a while now! The gambling, the mares, the food... it's been my dream come true to go there!"

"Sorry Comet, no gambling on this trip. You remember what happened last time." Singer reminded him, while raising his right eyebrow.

It was a day Comet would rather forget. He'd almost bet Singer's house because he was so in over his head. Fortunately, Singer had been able to step in and put a stop to the whole thing before Comet got buried by his ambitions. But at the cost of putting a little bit of a dent in Singer's savings, too.

"Right... yeah not trying that again."

"You're fortunate Brawn didn't really take advantage of you like he could have, or I'd still be paying him."

"Well..." Fives stepped in. "Speaking of ol' Big Orange, we better go wake him up."

"Right. Fortunately, we're just down the street from it." Singer said, leading them onward to Brawn's apartment building just half a block east of their direction.

Once they got there, Singer again flew up to his window but pushed it up and open this time. Brawn had been asleep, much to Singer's dismay.

"Really, Brawn?" he said, not bothering to be quiet. "I can always count on you to be a big lump..."

Brawn turned over, irritating his step brother even more. Singer let out a growl in frustration.

"Alright ya big galoot, time to do this the hard way..."

Singer pulled the sheets that he had been laying on until Brawn fell off the bed. The impact of him hitting the floor finally woke him up.

"Singer? You better have a good excuse for..."

"Yo, Brawn! We need to get to the train station early!"

"Aw crap, that's today?!?"

"Yeah!" Singer said with a little bit of an attitude.

"CRAP!" Brawn shouted again.

Brawn kicked it into high gear and put his saddle bag together.

"Alright, alright I'm coming!"

The sleepy earth pony was orange in color with a black mane and tail. His mane had been slicked back with hair gel. And his cutie mark was that of a dumbbell. He was struggling to get himself together for a minute, but once he finished styling his hair and finished getting his necessities together, he'd be good to go.

"Sorry guys, I got my days mixed up." Brawn said as he joined the others with Singer in tow.

"It's fine. We actually have about an hour until we need to be at the station." Fives said with a smirk.

"WHAT?!? Then why were you rushing me?" asked the sleepy earth pony, befuddled.

"So we'd actually make it there on time" Singer said with a light chuckle. "Besides, it wouldn't kill you to show up early for something once in a while."

"Well that also means we have time to goof around while we wait on the train!" Comet exclaimed.

"It's what you do best" remarked Fives.

"Beats being Miss Captain Killjoy" retorted Comet.

"Will you two stop flirting and come on?" Brawn said as he began to follow Singer off. "Singer's going to leave you all in his dust. Seriously, you two argue more than Singer and Violet and they're married."

"Stop accusing us of flirting, you big brute! I would never date some pony as irresponsible and careless as Comet!" Fives snapped as she followed behind her stallion friends. "Besides, he flirts with every mare he sees."

"Gee Fives, you're beginning to sound like you're jealous." Comet sniggered before remembering what she'd said in the first part of her statement. "Wait-irresponsible? I'm totally responsible!"

"Then why does Singer and myself always have to bail you out anytime you get yourself into a mess?"

"Because you're good friends... at least Sing is, anyway."

"Oh please, if I wasn't a good friend, I'd just let you crash and burn. You need me, idiot."

"You're so cocky, you snob!"

"Will you two knock it off?!?" Singer shouted, finally growing tired of the bickering. "Come on you guys, we're supposed to be having fun but y'all are arguing and we haven't even made it to the train station yet!"

"Yeah, you lovebirds shut up until we get to Las Pegasus!" Brawn remarked.

"Seriously, Brawn?" Singer said facehoofing himself.

"Alright, alright. We'll all stop talking." Brawn conceded.

Singer only rolled his eyes and pressed on with the others in tow. Unbeknownst to him, Comet and Fives were bumping into each other the whole time, continuing to bicker in silence.

Once they reached the train station a few minutes later, Singer trotted up to the ticket window and showed the pony working there the four pre-paid tickets he had and they were waved through. Once they made it through security, they were cleared to board the train.

Singer and Comet took one pair of seats by the window and Fives and Brawn took the other across the aisle.

"Hope Buckshot doesn't mind a few rowdy fans in the stands for his big race." Comet said.

"I'm jealous. I wish I could join you up there." Singer said. "But alas, part of the trip is for me to perform at my obligated time, so that's what I'll do. 'Slaving away' on stage for a bunch of crazy sports fans instead of enjoying myself."

He'd chuckled at the end to indicate he was joking. Comet picked up on it and decided to continue the conversation.

"You and Serenity always knock it out. I still look back and think it's weird you two used to date."

"Yeah, it's been almost eight years. I'm glad we're able to work together professionally in spite of that. We're better friends now than we were prior to us dating. And I'm glad she and Buckshot are doing well together."

They were referring to Serenity Sound, a unicorn singer who Singer worked with early in his professional career. They'd started out as friends working together and dated a while before Singer and Violet started dating. They had a falling out after both wanted different things, and just found themselves in a toxic relationship but after a while apart, they reconnected and now he and her will still friends, and Serenity and Violet had become friends as well. Buckshot and Serenity had started dating a year or so after she and Singer broke up, and they'd been together ever since.

Singer leaned against his window and looked out, as he recounted his memories of all that had happened and looked forward to what was to come.

He listened as Comet started going on about his plans to do at the race. Singer admitted, that he was excited to get there himself. He hadn't seen Buckshot in a while, and he was looking forward to performing one of his favorite songs for the pre race ceremonies.


……………………….

Once the train had arrived in Las Pegasus, Singer was eager to get to course that the race was being held at. He and the others exited the train, and Singer could hardly contain his excitement. The others seemed pretty pumped too. Comet and Brawn had gone to the merchandise tents to get some stuff to show support of Buckshot.

They bought teal t-shirts with Buckshot's logo, which consisted of his cutie mark (two checkered flags crossing each other) and his number, being Forty One. Both were proud of their purchases and walked side by side with sunglasses on to show their style. Their swagger filled strutting had been interrupted when they saw what Fives was wearing.

Fives, although Buckshot was her friend as well, decided to mess with her companions and buy a shirt from "The Windshear Tent", which consisted of merchandise for the father/son duo of Rush and Blurr Windshear, who she also kind of liked. Her shirt was grey and had "Team Windshear" written on it as well as the numbers Twelve for Rush, the father of the duo, and Twenty Eight for Blurr, the son of the duo.

As she strutted past the stallions, they took notice.

"Fives, what the hay?" Comet said.

"Way to be a troll." Brawn said.

"Hey! I'm free to pull for anypony I wish! And I happen to think one of the Windshears are going to pull it today." Fives said, asserting her position on the matter. Though, she still maintained her snark as she loved screwing with Comet and Brawn was just a bonus.

"Fine. Whatever, Buckshot is going to wipe the floor with your precious Windshear Pegasai." Comet said crossing his front legs in a pouting stance.

As fun as this was to watch, Singer had to go.

"Well guys, I'll see you after the race." Singer said. "I've got to go meet with the entertainment committee."

"See ya, Sing!" Fives said as she turned and continued to fuel the fire. She kept it up by quoting career stats.

He thought he saw something out of the corner of his eye. He quickly turned around when he thought he saw a dark colored pegasus staring at him, but saw nothing when he did a double take. Singer paid it no mind as he flew off.

"Agh! It's just pre-performance jitters. I haven't seen that guy in a long time. Surely I've nothing to worry about."


………………………

When Singer had made it to the front stretch of the fourteen turn course, he bee-lined it toward the stage in front of the grand stands. There, his usual singing partner and friend, Serenity had been waiting.

"Well it's about time!" She said with a smile and gave her longtime friend a hug. "I was afraid that you'd forgotten!" The red unicorn mare with a radiant blonde mane and tail released Singer from the hug and raised her eyebrow playfully. Her cutie mark was similar to his, only it was a musical note with a microphone beside it.

"No way! I just left Comet, Fives and Brawn around the merchandise area. They were having spirited debates on who's winning today."

"Well we all know who's winning today!" She said as she turned her face towards the mentioned stallion, talking to some fellow competitors in the background. "That gorgeous HUNK OF A STALLION!" She shouted the last four words to get his attention.

It worked. He nodded to the other pegasai he was talking to and made his way over to them.

"Singer, you son of a goat! It's great to see ya!" Buckshot said, wrapping him in a bear hug, not unlike the one Serenity had given to him moments earlier.

This pegasus stallion was teal in color. His mane and tail was brown. The mane was tall and stood up like a bush. His tail, like Singer's was shortened in length.

"Hey Buck! Ready to watch you whip up on them today!" Singer greeted, giving him a hoof bump.

"Thanks, bro! I think this is the year that the Las Pegasus GP will finally have Buckshot Speed gracing victory lane!" He said, putting his sunglasses on. "Finally going to beat the Windshears and make a statement for the rest of the racing season!"

"They're tough, but I have no doubt you'll be there in the end for sure."

"Well I gotta get to the competition meeting! We're fixing to go green soon!" Buckshot said, looking at his watch. "Gotta go!"

"Knock em dead babe!" Serenity said as she waved off her stallion.

"I'm happy to see you're doing well with him. It's great to see you two have been together for so long."

"Yes, life on the road is daunting at times, but we're managing. And it's much more worth it when we get to spend the nights together! How are you and Violet doing? Oh and little Melody too?"

"Fantastic! Violet is my rock. I couldn't live without her. And Melody is just growing and becoming a sweet young filly. She just turned three a while back. Violet already wants to have another one."

"Great news!" Serenity said with a knowing smile. "I'm sure she'll keep working on you for that."

"Undoubtedly." Singer chuckled. "Anyway, are we final on our song of choice?"

"Sure are! We're going to set the mood for this race!"

"Case and Sound! You're on in five!" Shouted a backstage worker pony in the background.

"Hey! If you ever decide to tour again, you should really join my band. 'Case and Sound' sounds like a rad name!" Serenity said bumping Singer with her elbow.

"I'll keep that in mind" chuckled Singer. "I'm not sure I'm quite ready to return to my touring days, though. I've got other things in the background now."

"Understood. But hey, we always did make a great team and if you change your mind, door's always open."

"Noted!" he returned.

"Fender, Bostich!" She shouted to a red pegasus stallion with a guitar and a green earth pony with drum sticks. "Let's get in position!"

The stallions complied and at a orderly pace. Singer and Serenity took their places in front of their microphones and prepared to start.

The multitude of race fans in the stands cheered as Singer and Serenity's group were introduced by the host on stage, and the spotlights shown on them.

"Three, two, one..." Fender mouthed as he started to play his guitar for the opening riff.

Serenity led with the first part of the song.

"I’m Equestrian made

Apple pie in the shade

My mama taught me wrong from right

I was born in the south, sometimes I have a big mouth when I see something that I don't like...

and I gotta say it"

Singer stepped forward as Serenity stepped back, and took his turn.

"And we've been trav'lin this road for a mighty long time

Paying no mind to the signs

And where this neighborhood's changed

It's all been rearranged

We left that dream somewhere behind"

They then sang in unison.

"And sometimes you're gonna crash

Baby you were screaming it's a blast, blast, blast

Look out babe you got your dark shades on

Every pony's looking for a way

To get real gone

To get real gone

To get real gone"

Fender, the guitar pony joined them both at the microphones for the...

"UH!"

As Fender took his harmonica out to play the harmonica solo of the song, ponies began to notice dark clouds forming above the stage, and a lightning bolt headed right towards Singer.

The music was immediately disrupted, and Serenity tackled Singer to move him out of the path of the lightning strike.

"Thanks, Reni..."

"Don't mention it, dude..." She said exasperated.

The thunder in the dark cloud grew more intense as the lightning also picked up.

Singer looked up and could make out a figure in the cloud walking on it, kicking parts of the massive cloud to keep it up.

"Looks like we're experiencing some in-climate weather patterns! Not ideal for racing conditions!" The villainous pegasus, known as Thunder Clap announced. "Too bad too!"

"Thunder Clap!" Singer shouted.

"Singer Case!" Clap roared. "Just the idiot I was looking for. You didn't think you'd really seen the last of me did you?"

"What do you want?" Singer shouted, glaring at his old foe.

"Oh, you know exactly what I want. And I'm going to tear this place apart, but by bit, pony by pony until you give it over to me! So what will it be?"

Singer stood there, shaking. Trying to think of what to do. This was definitely not something he'd expected to be dealing with today. His past had returned to haunt him. It had officially begun.

Author's Note:

Hey! Hey! Everybody! So glad to be back. Going to start this out with a relatively straight forward plot for this first installment of my MLP series in what will surely be the last of my attempts to reboot and finish a series.

I hope this story is well received, and I look forward to fleshing out these characters even more as this book and hopefully future books to come, comes to fruition.

Thank you to everyone who's read my stuff over the years.

Also, referenced in the chapter:
Real Gone by Sheryl Crowe

Another reference in this chapter was a reference to NASCAR drivers. The father/son pegasus racing duo is inspired by Dale Earnhardt(RIP) and Dale Earnhardt Jr, while the numbers they bear (12 and 28) are references to Bobby Allison and his son Davey (RIP) respectively.

Buckshot Speed belongs to a friend of mine (not on this site) who goes by IndyBrony28.