• Published 13th Oct 2022
  • 515 Views, 27 Comments

Second Thoughts - starcoder



Join different characters as they have inside thoughts on "reformed" Starlight Glimmer.

  • ...
4
 27
 515

Cloudchaser

I'm in the middle of Ponyville, laughing with Flitter. We just finished a great lunch, and we're now reminiscing about Ponyville's most recent attempt to break the water hurricane record. "I'm just surprised Fluttershy didn't run away from practice this time," she tells me.

I chuckle. "Are you kidding? Last time, she totally rocked it! She was second best flier, only inferior to Rainbow Dash herself. Why would she not want to show up again?"

Flitter shrugs. "It's kind of like her to be shy. To forget a big event and let fear take over."

I nod in agreement. I might've been a little surprised if she didn't show, but it's not totally unlike her.

Flitter stops me and points at our surroundings. What do you know, we're at the market now, so we might as well get birthday presents for each other. Flitter and I split up, promising to meet each other back here in an hour. I trot around, not sure what to get for her. I do run into a mailpony on the way. No, a newspony. A little filly from the school, and he's probably handing out the Foal Free Press. I might as well get one for Flitter, since she's a kind-hearted pony who likes to learn about her community and ways to help.

I go through the next few stands, and finally end up at the crafts stand. I take a roll of pink ribbon and a few gems. I also take little cutout letters. I'll make her a homemade, personal bow. She has too many plain ones anyways.

Surprisingly, it hasn't even been an hour yet, so I have some time alone. What to do, though? Well, I might as well read the newspaper I picked up.

It's about time to go when I finish reading the paper. Actually, I only read one specific report, about a powerful unicorn who... fought Princess Twilight? It was probably a true story, since the Foal Free Press didn't lie anymore, not ever since the Gabby Gums incident. But hopefully, whoever she was, she didn't dare hurt me or Flitter. That would be so scary. She probably is just a faker. I mean, no one goes from ninja-dictator to friend of the Princess. That would be so crazy.

I looked at the picture on the paper. She did look sort of familiar. But I have no idea where I remember her from. I stare at the paper, hoping that will give me an answer.

It doesn't help at all. To be honest, I'm even more confused. She's so familiar, yet I have zero connection with her. How is this possible?

I slip the newspaper into my bag since Flitter's going to show up anytime soon. After a few more minutes, Flitter flutters over to my side and we fly home together.

It's almost dinnertime, so once we drop off our things at home, we decide to go on a stroll in the park. Flitter loves beautiful, scenic days like today. It makes it even more perfect when we get to enjoy it together, in person.

So we walk through the park, watching all the young fillies play together. It reminds me of when we were fillies. We find a nice spot in the grass, only it's taken by the Heroes of Equestria. Flitter and I decide to look for another viewing place. And we find the perfect one, by the swing sets, only it's taken by somepony else. Somepony I recognize.

Her name is Starlight Glimmer. She has a lilac coat and misty blue eyes. Her purple mane, tail, and bangs are all flowy and bouncy with a twisted curl at the end. They all have a streak of aquamarine running through them. Her cutie mark is a sparkly star with teal trails flowing behind it. Her name is Starlight Glimmer.

Now I remember! Starlight Glimmer was that pony who sang a big song with, basically, all of Ponyville. It was about making friends or something like that. Now that I think about it, it was kind of hard to forget something like that. I keep staring at her. Flitter does too, but not as, um, fiercely as I do. I don't think she likes making eye contact with her, because her gaze suddenly darts away.

"Isn't she that pony who lives with the princess?" I whisper to Flitter for confirmation. But I'm pretty sure I would know the answer better than she would. Luckily, we're not too close to Starlight Glimmer, so she probably can't hear us.

"Yeah? So?" she answers, bewildered. She probably has no idea about this girl.

"I heard she tried to destroy Equestria!" I tell her.

Her eyes widen. "Really?" she asks, looking back and forth between me and Starlight Glimmer. Now, I think she's heard a bit about her, since she says, "Like the Newbie to Friendship?"

"Mm-hm," I nod. "I think she also stole the cutie marks of a whole village. With just her magic." That last part I made extra quiet for suspense.

Flitter gapes. "No way! If she has magic that powerful, just imagine what she could do to us!"

My jaw starts to fall open as well. I am imagining what she could do to us with just her magic alone. "What if she fries our brains?"

She just stares at me in disbelief. "Can she do that?" she asks uncertainly.

“If she can fight an alicorn, she can certainly do something like that!” I reason.

“Or worse!” Yup. Flitter is finally starting to believe me. We look each other in the eye, then turn our heads to look at Starlight for a brief moment. She's looking back at us, so we stop glancing towards her and quickly trot to the other side of town, where our home is.

"So much for a scenic break," she mumbles. I giggle, despite how scared I am of Starlight Glimmer. What if she makes the sun explode? Then, Flitter's words would be more true than ever.

I shake my head. Stop going crazy, I tell myself. But then again, everypony always told me that it was better to be safe then sorry. Does thinking ahead of time count as being safe?