• Published 15th Jun 2023
  • 609 Views, 18 Comments

Cooling Embers - Incandesca



Turning the next page in her life, Sunset realizes that in order to move forward, she must go backward. To ensure a bright future, she must face her dark past, no matter how ugly its face. Yet demons thought forgotten are not so easily buried.

  • ...
1
 18
 609

Chapter 1: How the Sun Rises

Graduation.

Like stones caught in a river, the word tumbled in Sunset's mind. Graduation. Graduation. She was at graduation.

She found it hard to believe. Could she be so certain it was true?

Perhaps her demonic form still trapped her, placated her with thoughts of redemption and a happy life. Or, she'd met her fate at the Fall Formal, and everything that followed had been the fevered dreams of a dying girl, soon to reach an abrupt and ugly end.

Waiting to be called forth, Sunset Shimmer wished she was at CHS proper instead of these strange, unknown building's halls. The unfamiliar environment did her nerves no favors.

"Hey, Trixie?"

"Mmmyeeees, Shimmer?"

"Can you pinch me?"

"Gladly!"

The wannabe girl magician - one of the unlikelier friends Sunset made at CHS - spun around.

And pinched her arm like steel.

"Yow!"

Sunset jerked her arm away, cradling it to her chest. "Shining Sun above, Trix. Did you have to do it that hard?"

Trixie looked at her strangely. It took her a moment to remember 'Shining Sun' wasn't exactly a normal expletive on Earth.

"Listen, Shimmer. The Great and Powerful Trixie might be lacking for wits, but I am not. I can tell when you're thinking stupid things." Her eyes narrowed. "Were you thinking stupid things?"

"Nnnooo?"

"Knew it!" Trixie's face fell from smug to sympathetic. "Speaking as your friend, I understand your worries. Trixie admits she isn't the brightest tool in the breadbox and is deathly afraid of college. Trixie can't survive college, Shimmer. She. Cannot. Survive!" With each punctuated word, she yanked on SUnset's arm.

Sunset let her. One of the first things to go being friends with Trixie had been the concept of boundaries.

"I'm sure you'll be fine, Trixie."

The voice, reserved and cautious, came from their right. Over a gadget Sunset didn't recognize, Twilight peered upwards.

Sunset always thought her glasses were cute. Some day, she'd convince Twilight's Equestrian counterpart to wear them, too. For funsies.

"Ha, ha. Easy for you to say, little Miss Sparkle. You're the smartest girl in this school!"

"T-technically." Twilight flushed, glancing away. "After rigorous examination, I've tested down to the point one percentile for the country."

Trixie scoffed. "My point exactly. Trixie isn't in the point one percentile for anything!" She looked away, fluffing her straight silver hair. "Except perhaps for most beautiful and perfect."

Sunset considered quipping back with a 'What about most Great and Powerful?'. Twilight, adjusting her glasses, spoke before she got the chance. Whether that's true or not, I think you underestimate your intelligence. You might struggle academically, but speaking as someone who is very intelligent in that area and not so much in others, emotional, social, and creative intelligence are highly valued skills. Maybe you could be a therapist?"

That caught both of them off guard. Sunset blinked, and Trixie considered, after shutting her open mouth. Stunned silent, for once it seemed like someone managed to kick those Great and Powerful gears into grinding.

"You... may have a point." She smiled. "Thank you, Twilight."

"And Sunset?"

Sunset looked over. "Hm?"

Twilight offered a small, comforting smile. She placed the device in her pockett, reached out, took Sunset's hand in hers, squeezed. "You'll be fine. You always are."

Sunset pretended to smile. Ignored the lurch in her throat. 'I'm not always fine,' she considered saying, but didn't.

The little lie paid off. Twilight withdrew, believing she'd helped.

Let her believe. No point worrying anyone more than necessary.

Regardless. She hated it. Telling lies, especially to someone she cared about. Even good ones, even small ones. It reminded her too much of the old days. She still did it about as often.

But they'd never understand. Could never even begin to understand. This wasn't about what she'd do post-graduation. That was simple. She was smart, if not to the same genius extent as Twilight. She'd fly through university with the same ease she'd breezed by highschool, all thanks to her prior rigorous academics. And general intelligence, couldn't dismiss tht either.

"Thanks, Twi."

Sunset's throat lurched again. The lie came so easy.

"Students"

The crowd's attention snapped to the left. While Principal Celestia did not wield the same power and respect as her Equestrian counterpart, hers commanded presence when she so chose. To her right stood Vice Principal Luna. Between them, they held gravid stacks of caps and gowns.

"It's good to see I can still call your attention!" Celestia winked. "These are your official ceremonial clothes. Each is marked with your name on the back, so if you receive one that is incorrect please alert either myself or the Vice Principal."

Luna straightened. "Lastly, if you have any trouble putting them on, seek assistance from the person beside you or a nearby teacher."

The two began down the line. Starting towards the head, Sunset and the rest had plenty of time to continue their conversation.

They did not. Passing of the gowns meant only one thing.

The ceremony was close.

Closer than she'd prefer. Sunset imagined her friends shared that same faint unease. The sort that nestled in her gut, turning it in knots. Telling her to be afraid, despite not knowing what to actually be afraid of. Maybe it was just her.

After a few minutes, they received the garments. Sunset and Twilight had no issues putting on theirs. Trixie... Trixie needed some help.

"Oh, and one more thing!" said Luna. "Keep your tassels to the right of your cap, and the point of it facing forwards."

Several students made the adjustments. Trixie included.

"At the ceremony, you will be told when to move your tassels. That is all!"

Looking to her friends beside, Trixie grinned, pinched and lifted the sides of her gown. "Trixie thinks this must look lovely on her, wouldn't you agree?"

Sunset nodded. The gown's white silk complimented Trixie's beaten silver hair well. Granted, she struggled to imagine anyone that white wouldn't look good on.

Now, they waited.

The ceremony couldn't come soon enough, nor could Sunset want it any further away. Minutes shrank to seconds, and seconds stretched to minutes as though to mock the very concept of time. Tapping her foot, Sunset got the vague sensation of drifting up from her body, detaching.

When at last Celestia announced the ceremony was about to begin, a weight seemed to lift offf her shoulders. She sighed in relief, and released the fists she didn't notice she'd made. Her knuckles throbbed.

The line shuffled forward - haltingly, single file. To the sound of graduation music, they entered a vast auditorium, and each found their place on the stage. Side by side, one row would form, and when no more could squeeze in another formed behind them.

She took her place two rows back, between Trixie and Twilight. Mixed into the line-up ahead was Rarity, Pinkie, and Wallflower. She had been at the line's front, and so she would be the first called to speak.

Ironic. She imagined the girl must have slipped in early before anyone noticed, and been forced to hold the position. Sunset couldn't imagine Wallflower ever wanting to be at the forefront of anything besides gardening.

As she took in the chamber, Sunset stared forwards, rather than upwards. While the stage was sizeable enough to fit several dozens, the seats above stretched on forever. More than large enough to size her down, make her small.

It had to be, to fit everyone's friends and family.

Outside of school, Sunset didn't have any friends. Not on Earth, at least. Lots of enemies, though. And family? The one group of people that should have been there, bearing witness to this pivotal moment in her young life?

She stiffened. Didn't wanna think about it.

And so she stared forwards, rather than upwards.

Heels clicked on the stage, and Celestia strode to the front alongside her sister. Beaming, she took her spot behind the standing microphone.

"Good afternoon everyone! It's so wonderful to see so many faces here today - parents, siblings, friends and family - here to witness your loved one's journey. It's incredible to think my sister and I, once upon a time, stood here in the same place as these students. Even more incredible, and fortunately blessed, to preside over this occasion for the eleventh year in a row. We've seen many young learners of all kinds, hailing from diverse backgrounds walk through the halls of Canterlot High, but I think this crop of students behind me may just be the most interesting I've ever had the honor to see."

Sunset tuned out. Sooner this ended, the better. Once it was done she could hop on her motorcycle, go home, and binge on way, way too much takeout. Spot of booze couldn't hurt either, she was thinking rum. Spiced, hard, mix in a little punch and cinnamon. Good sleeping aid.

Y'know, that really was an upside to independence, wasn't it. No guardians meant no one told her what she could and couldn't do, though it wasn't as if that ever accomplished anything in the past. Still, she appreciated the lack of resistance.

Following Celestia's spiel came Lunas. Much the same, it praised the graduating body and the history of CHS, though more cool and curt than Celestia had been. Yet Sunset noticed her slipping in the odd joke here and there, dry wit and snark-laden humor getting a positive murmur from the crowd.

On a rare few occasions, she made veiled references to the magical happenings around the school. Nothing explicit - only those who knew would twig onto the fact. Neither sister could afford secrets like that running free.

The students sharp enough to put two and two together gave their amused rumblings. Sunset, slightly less so. Particularly at the mention of 'demons' and 'angels'. From a glance, Twilight didn't seem especially glad either.

She breathed in. Next, her peers.

Luna revealed a paper. "Wallflower Blush," she read. "Head of the Gardening Club, self-described aspiring botanist, and voted Best Gardener one year running. Please take the stage."

Fuck, one year? Was that all it'd been since the Memory Stone? Felt like a lifetime ago.

The audience clapped. Luna moved aside, and swept an arm to usher the girl forth.

Trembling, Wallflower scooched up to the front, and suddenly Sunset found her worries silly in comparison. The paleing girl clutched a sheet in her hand and mumbled something inaudible into the mic. Luna leaned in, whispered something in her ear, and Wallflower spoke again.

"H... hello. My name is Wallflower Blush, and I-" She swallowed. Glancing back she scanned the crowd, before hers and Sunset's gaze met. In her copper eyes, Sunset saw a pleading.

She smiled, shooting a thumbs up.

Wallflower returned the smile, turning back towards the audience. With her jaw set and chest puffed out, she resumed.

"At first, when I came to Canterlot High, I was afraid. I thought I was too boring for anyone to notice or care about me. Someone special proved me wrong. Now I have a scholarship to Canterlot University, and more friends than I know what to do with." She paused. "One of those friends is a lot more special than the others, though, and she knows who she is. Thank you."

The audience erupted in cheers. Wallflower Blushed, stepping back, and Sunset couldn't have been more proud.

Most of the following students Sunset only knew on a basic level, but there were a few standouts.

Vinyl and Octavia for one. The duo had apparently been allowed to stand together, and Sunset understood why when Octavia read Vinyl's speech for her. Cherry Crash felt less highschool graduate and more raving rockstar. Ditzy meanwhile delivered a speech that brought many in the audience to tears.

Sunset predicted those of her friends. There was Rarity - proper, refined, and delivered with such eloquence you'd think she was reading Stygian. Pinkie, naturally, unfurled a - literal parchment - list of everyone she knew, was friends with, or who had so much as made eye contact with her one time at a bus stop on a Tuesday. About twenty names deep, Luna had to politely guide her back to the group.

Anyone with half a brain could imagine how Trixie's went.

All too soon, Sunset's time came.

Twilight reached out for a reassuring squeeze. Sunset pulled away.

Her stride portrayed more confidence than she felt. She wasn't worried about delivering the speech. She had practiced, memorized, and ingrained the words in her head for weeks. No, that wasn't the issue at all.

She had to look up to deliver it.

"Hey," she began. Crisp. Smooth, straight to the point. "The name's Sunset Shimmer, though I doubt I need to tell anyone that. I've made quite the reputation for myself since I came to CHS four years ago."

Almost five in reality. Crown that felt wrong.

Muted, short-lived laughter rippled through the crowd. More behind than around.

"That reputation didn't start out so great though." She paused, swallowed. The lines came easy. The desire to speak them, not so much. "I'll say it plain. I was kind of a jerk."

"That's putting it lightly."

Sunset didn't know who or where the comment came from. It was something quiet, something whispered just loud enough for her to hear - or so she thought. Rage flared in her eyes, before she snuffed it out, quick as it came.

They weren't wrong.

She scanned the auditorium regardless. Curiosity gnawed at her to discover who made the little jab. The search proved fruitless. There were simply too many people, too many suspects. Too many people she'd screwed over, or friends and family of those she had.

But as she swept the crowd, a color stood out. A very familiar color. A lavender color, that matched one of a friend behind her.

Her gaze jerked back for a second look, eyes going wide.

Twilight.

It was Twilight, from Equestria. She was here. With Celestia too, although she'd put on makeup and changed her hair to better obscure her identity. But to Sunset, it was absolutely, unmistakeably her.

Her missing confidence returned. She took a moment to fight back the lump in her throat before she continued.

Grinning, she spoke from the heart. Fuck the goddamn speech.

"I did horrible things and hurt a lot of people - so many I can't even remember them all. Those dark days will shame me til the day I die. But someone very special gave me a second chance, a second chance I'm still not sure I even deserved. And then other people too, people who are now my best friends in the world. Twilight Sparkle. Applejack. Rarity. Fluttershy. Pinkie Pie. Rainbow Dash. Trixie Lulamoon. Wallflower Blush. Every last one of you means more to me than I can say. Thank you. Thank you so much for being my friends. Thank you so much for your forgiveness. I can't imagine where I'd be without you, without this school, and I hope we'll stick together every step of the way into the future, whatever form it takes."

She bowed and got back in line. Not everyone clapped, but most did.

It was more than she could've asked for.


"Can you guys freakin' believe it? We're finally done with high school!"

Pinkie's shrill, airsplitting voice rang out to every corner of the parking lot. Some heads turned, those not acquainted with the girl's antics. Everyone else barely paid her any mind.

Sunset gathered with her friends. All around, everyone looked bright eyes and beaming smiles.

Rainbow agreed. "F- I mean, heck yeah! I can't wait for the sick af parties."

Sunset rolled her eyes. "You do know college isn't just about parties and drinking, right?"

"Not if I have anything to say about it!" Pinkie and Rainbow high-fived.

Twilight fiddled with her tassel. "She is correct, you know. University is arguably more important for your career prospects than high school."

Eh, gonna disagree with you on that one, Twi. Not in this economy.

Rainbow scoffed. "Please, guys. I'm not an idiot."

Twilight and Sunset exchanged glances. Pinkie arched an eyebrow.

"Okay, okay. Sheesh. Brutal. I'm not that much of an idiot, though. I'll be fine. I did graduate, after all, right?"

"I don't mean to rain on your parade, darling, but..." Rarity breathed through her teeth.

"Ya did only pass with a C."

"Hey, c'mon, C is average"

"Uh-huh. Just about the lowest average ya'll coulda gotten."

"Yikes. Okay. Really busting my balls over here."

Rainbow slumped, defeated. Sunset walked over and clapped her on the shoulder. "Hey, don't get too down. It's just some tough love. Besides, I don't even think it's your smarts or lack thereof that's the problem."

"Just your discipline," finished Rarity.

"And yer work ethic. Er, lack thereof."

"And your attention span," Fluttershy mumbled.

"Y-yeah, well." Rainbow folded her arms, puffed out her cheeks. "Maybe things will be different this time around! I did pass with an A-plus in PE! I'd rather be an athlete than some dumb egghead anyway." She stuck out her tongue in Twilight's direction.

"Regardless," Sunset said. "We're all friends here. If anyone is going through a rough spot, no matter how bad it is, we help each other out. That's how we've gotten this far, and it's how we'll keep going. It's what friends do."

"Speaking of, Sunny dear. What a marvelous speech you delivered back there. I'm not too prideful to say I might have shed a tear or two."

Everyone murmured agreement, even Trixie. Sunset couldn't stop the flames rising to her cheeks.

"Oh, and, uhm. Thank you, for giving me the courage to deliver mine."

Gazing down, Wallflower plucked the sleeve of her sweater. Where the rest of them were content to stay in their gradutory garb, she switched out of hers the moment they left the building. Comfort, Sunset supposed. She had a similar relationship with her jacket.

With a nonchalant smirk, she shrugged. "Don't worry about it. Ain't that big a deal."

Fluttershy spoke up. "It's not nothing, Sunset. A little can go a long way, and you've been the glue that's kept us together this whole time. You shouldn't downplay that."

Sunset flushed darker. At any other time, she'd bask in this sort of attention. Even after the change she'd gone through, there were few things she loved more than a good ego stroke.

Today felt different.

"Truly, Sunset is an inspiring light to us all," Trixie began.

Sun and MOon. Not her, too.

"But I believe you have forgotten the brightest star in the show. The peak of performance. The pinnacle of perfection! None other than the Grrreat and Powerful Trixie herself!"

As if on cue, a cloud of glitter-flecked purple smoke exploded into being. As it dispersed, Trixie stood above it all, hands on her hips and chin tipped high, cap and gown exchanged somehow instantaneously for her magician's outfit, cape and everything. Her friends, Lavender Lace and Fuschia Blush, completed the picture by holding their leader aloft, balanced on their shoulders.

The group's collective eyeroll could b heard the next town over.

Sunset didn't join them. Not when she and Trixie made eye contact. Not when she saw her wink.

Sunset mouthed a quick 'Thank you'.

"Ah think we've gotten a mite bit off track here."

Pinkie nodded, bouncing on her heels. How her cap didn't fall off with all those jumping candyfloss curls, Sunset didn't know. She was half convinced the girl's hair had some sort of magical, or at least magnetic properties.

"Thank you, Applejack!! There was actually something really super duper ultra mega important I wanted to announce!"

A party.

Everyone else was thinking it. For as chaotic as Pinkie could be, she was just as often highly predictable.

Not that she'd ever thumb her nose at a Pinkie Pie party. You'd have to be a real freak to turn that opportunity down. Or severely depressed.

"Yupsies!"

Now, how she chose to announce said parties?

That was a different story entirely.

Leaping into the air, Pinkie danced her way through the partie on acrobatics, tossing out cards like shurikens. "You get an invitation! And you get an invitation! And you get an invitation! Everyone gets an invitation!"

Most cards smacked them in the face. Sunset, Rainbow, and Rarity plucked theirs from the air with relative ease. Her thanks to her black belt, the others from athletics and fencing respectively.

Trixie, for her part, fell ass backwards.

Her friends shot to her side, helping her back to her feet. So much for showing off.

"The party is tomorrow night, my place! We're gonna do," Pinkie's voice lowered to a dangerous whisper. "Underage drinkiiiiiiing."

She, along with Sunset, Rainbow, and AJ shared cheers and high-fives.

"Do we, uhm, have to drink?" asked Fluttershy.

Twilight stood beside her. "Yes, I would like to know as well. Alcohol can negatively affect the development of young brains such as ours if ingested in sufficient-"

Pinkie slapped a hand over her mouth. "Nope! No science talk." She grinned at the crowd. "But anyone who wants to can bring whatever they want! I've got totally free reign of the house for the whooooole weekend!"


She probably looked insane to other people. She had to.

She wore nothing but her backpack, black tanktop, hot pink PJs, and tennis shoes. Riding her motorcycle. In the middle of the road. An hour before nighttime.

She didn't even bother with a helmet, letting her hair whip behind her like a trailing flame. Anyone who knew her habits called it crazy, Rainbow Dash included. She couldn't find it in herself to give a shit.

It wasn't that she lacked the smarts. Of all her friends, she easily ranked among the smartest - not necessarily by choice, often by circumstance. Both Twilights beat her in that department, but then they might as well be prodigies.

Blech. 'Prodigy'.

She hated the word. Tasted foul on her tongue. Prodigies didn't have to work for their talents. Prodigies didn't have to stay up night after night grinding themselves to the bone just for the chance at success.

She'd be lying if she said she didn't hold at least some resentment towards Twilight Sparkle - either of them. Despite it, she knew the feeling was irrational. Earth and Equestrian Twilights both worked hard to get to where they were. Rationality, however, had never been her strongest virtue.

Perhaps she truly was a bit mad, then. But for her, the feeling of wind in her hair, against her face, her skin?

That was freedom. And freedom? That was sublime.

Besides, the distance between her place and Pinkie's wasn't far. She shouldn't be facing any trouble from a twenty or so minute drive through mostly suburbia. If she did somehow crash, she probably deserved it, and she'd have plenty time to regret her actions in the afterlife presuming it existed. If it didn't, she wouldn't be conscious enough to care.

Several sprawling stretches of cookie-cutter, copy-paste homes and lawns later, she reached her destination. Pulling into the driveway, she hopped off and laid her motorcycle against the garage wall.

Instinct told her it was bad mojo leaving it out in the open. Not like she could do anything about it. If someone did try touching her baby though, there'd be some bloody hell to pay.

Coming up to the front, she barely raised her fist to knock when the door flung open. A pink blur of an arm shot out, grabbed her by the shirt, and yanked her inside. Squawking, she stumbled in, trying to make sure she didn't topple over from the weight of her backpack.

"Woah there, Sunny! Don't fall down on me already. Nobody's started drinking yet!"

Shockingly firm hands steadied her on her feet. Pinkie, beaming wide as a CHeshire, giggled and helped shrug the pack off Sunset's shoulders, sliding it off to a nearby sidetable. She wore a plain white tee and bus yellow shorts, as bright and bubbly as her personality.

Sunset grinned, swiping a hand through her windblown hair. "Heh, thanks. Maybe we should get to fixing th-"

Before she could finish, Pinkie wrapped her up in a death hug. Sunset wheezed, eyes bulging out of her sockets. She frantically tapped her shoulder, gasping on release.

"...at."

Pinkie cocked her head. "Fix what?"

Sunset walked over and unzipped the pack, retrieving a bottle of hard tequila and spiced rum. "Getting started on drinking, duh." She grinned, waggling the bottles for emphasis.

"Oh, heehee! Silly, we can't start drinking 'til everyone's here!"

She scoffed. "Not in the parties I've been to."

"You'll have to take me some time!"

Sunset shrugged. "Fuck it, sure, why not. Long as you're chill with a few druggies."

"I'm basically high all the time anyway! It's pretty wild up in this brain as is."

Sunset remembered being in Pinkie's mind that one time. She shuddered.

Sunset cackled. "Hard to argue with that. " Closing the door, she watched Pinkie over her shoulder as she dropped the bottles off on another table. This one had clearly been designated for alcohol, spread amongst the liquor bottles of juice and sodas for mixing cocktails. Sunset brought some fruit punch to go with the rum, and slid that to the side after grabbing it from her bag.

She sized the table up, trying to guess who was present by the various drinks. Cider, whiskey, and beer must have been Applejack. Vodka she thought might have been Rarity, but she was the type to arrive fashionably late, probably with champagne and red wine in tow.

That left either Rainbow Dash or Pinkie. Assuming they drank at all, she could totally see Pinkie's folks hitting the vodka. They seemed the type.

Last, an unopened pack of water bottles. She presumed Fluttershy. Though she hadn't likely known enough about alcohol to intend it, those would see good use if anyone got too carried away.

Her attention flicked to the living room, hoping to confirm her suspicions. She was right - because obviously.

Dash and Applejack sat on the floor, furiously pounding away on a couple controllers. She recognized the fighting game on the flatscreen without missing a beat, and hoped to Crown they didn't try killing each other before the night was out.

Both had gone for casual clothing, rather than sleepwear. Rainbow with a baggy blue hoodie and black nylon shorts, sneakers. Applejack with a red plaid button-up, plain sheepskin boots, and canvas denim jeans Rarity gave her last December.

As if she'd spoken them yesterday, Sunset remembered her words exactly. Holding the pants up with a scrunched up face, sounding genuinely offended asking "Now wha'd ya'll go an' rip up a perfectly fine pair a' jeans like this for?"

Sunset hid her smirk. She was glad to see her wearing them, and not just because she liked wearing ripped up jeans herself. Now if those two would just fess the fuck up already and get the pussyfooting over with...

Watching the fight, Fluttershy sat with her knees against her chest, sunk deep into a beanbag. A light cream blouse hung off her lithe frame, and lower she had on pastel green PJs patterned with cherry blossoms. Noticing Sunset out the corner of her eye, she waved. Sunset waved back.

She held back from the room, keeping close to the showrunner. "Soooo, Pinkie. Any plans?"

"Weell, obviously we're still waiting for a few people, and those two are occupied." She gestured at the living room.

"Huh, wha?" Dash turned her head. "Oh, hey."

SHe resumed the game, but the distraction gave Applejack the window she needed. A flurry of sound effects played from the speakers, and the announcer declared her KO.

Rainbow threw her hands in the air. "Aw man! Whatever, that character is totally OP. Doesn't even count." She huffed, crossing her arms and glared at the screen.

Applejack snorted. "Ain't mah fault you got distracted. Anywho, heya Sunset. Ya'll bring anyone else with ya?"

"Nope, just me. And some booze. Got a few snacks too if anyone's interested."

AJ and Rainbow both stood, cracking their shoulders.

"I could go for some chips myself."

"An' one 'a those oatmeal cream pies, if ya got any."

"Specific. But you're in luck, because I actually do!"

She returned to her pack and rummaged around, extracting a stomach-rumbling procession of crinkly bags and paper boxes. She set them down, spread them out from left to right. "We got Choreos, Coca-Rols, Caramelis, Cheezo Puffs, Cheezo Crunchies, Georgia Gold barbecue chips - kettle cooked..." She grabbed some more. "Caramel Fudge Cake'nBakes, Cool Ranch Nachitos, aaaaand last but not least."

She held out the final box to AJ. "Oatmeal cream pies."

AJ took it, whistling long. "Woah nelly. How'dja fit all that in that little pack there?"

"Very carefully. Anyway, take your pick!"

Quick as a whip, Rainbow zoomed forward and ripped open the Nachitos. She got halfway through crunching down a handful before Applejack shot her a withering stare. Rainbow grinned uneasily, and put them on a paper plate instead. Sunset just shook her head.

Giggling, Pinkie turned back her way. "So tonight's not gonna be super duper crazy or anything. Going for kind of a mellow vibe, more personal that way! Board games, card games, movies, stuff like that! Feel me, Shimsham?" She knocked her elbow with Sunset's.

She elbowed back. "Feel ya, fam."

Rainbow spoke through two bulging cheeks of Nachitos. "You goh Carsh Agah Humahi'y?"

"Yup! Oh, by the way, Sunny. I thought I'd let you know that Trixie-"

Sunset held up a hand. "Yeah, I saw. Not a problem."

One day before the party, Trixie sent their group chat a ping letting them know she couldn't attend, and would be holding a private party of her own. Sunset didn't begrudge her. Trixie had known and been close with Fuschia and Lavender far longer than any of them.

"Not coming, it's cool. What about Wally, though? I never saw her send confirmation."

"I've been here a while."

Sunset froze, startled. Turning around, Wallflower greeted her with a raised hand. Her clothes were the same as usual.

Sunset furrowed her brows. "Where were you?"

"In the bathroom."

"Oh."

Sunset shuffled. Wallflower fiddled with her pockets.

A dainty, musical pattern knocked on the door. Eager for salvation, Sunset raced over and swung it open.

"Good evening, lovelies~"

Rarity, ever the dramatic, strode in wearing what must have been the pinkest, fluffiest robe Sunset had ever seen in her life. She'd applied makeup to model mag standards, and carried a clinking, sloshing purse over her shoulder.

"My upmost apologies for the late arrival. Regardless of the occasion, a lady must always strive to look her best. Now where should I- oh!" Exclaiming, she walked to the table supporting the various drinks. She retrieved and set down two bottles of wine - white and red, both vintage - and sparkling champagne. "Quite the collection we have here, and so many juices! Oh I can make you all just the most delicious of cocktails!"

Fluttershy raised a hand. "Uhm, I have a question. How did you all get so much alcohol when you're, uhm, underage? And will we get in trouble?"

"Stole it," Rainbow answered. "Nah, just kidding. I bribed the cashier."

"Fake ID. Don't worry though, I'm technically legal in Equestria, which is the best kind of legal." Sunset winked. "And as long as nobody blabs, we won't get in trouble."

"Ah took it from the farmhouse. We got plenty 'a cider stores this time 'a year, and Ma and Pa always used to keep the liquor cabinets stocked. Granny ain't much of a drinker herself, so she ain't gonna notice."

"I, similarly, must admit I've engaged in a pinch of rugged banditry myself."

Silence reigned.

"Whaaat? Don't give me that look, I did bring the alcohol did I not?" Rarity harumphed. "Really, you should count yourselves lucky I brought anything at all! Elicit activities like this are so below a woman of my pedigree."

Sunset grinned. "Whatever you say, Rare."

"So we're just waitin' fer Twilight now ah suppose. Wonder where that gal went off to."

Rarity nodded. "Yes, it is rather odd she has not joined us yet. Usually I'm the one who's fashionably late, and she the one pointedly on time."

"Twenty dollars says she's working on some sorta egghead thing."

"I'll take that bet!" Pinkie cheered. Her and Rainbow shook on it.

For close to an hour, the girls passed the time with games, chatting, and snacking. AJ and Dash soon returned to their competition, while Sunset played Poker with Pinkie and Rarity.

Pinkie suggested Strip Poker, but Rarity firmly opposed the idea. Fluttershy and Wallflower, meanwhile, talked about something Sunset didn't fully hear. All she consistently picked up from their conversation was something about flowers and bees.

Go figure.

They heard the knock at nine. Eager to meet their missing comrade, Pinkie sprang to her feet with terrifying speed.

Twilight's glasses hung askew. Her scrunchie had gone loose, and wayward strands stuck out every which way. Subtle darkness sagged below her bloodshot eyes, and she wore a smudged lab coat over her pajamas.

Given that image, she should have looked miserable. She beamed instead, waving eagerly.

"Hi girls! Sorry I'm so late. I was..." She tapped her fingers together, head turned aside. "Working on something."

Sunset cocked a brow. "That being?"

"Remember that drone I made last summer?" No one answered. "The one for taking selfies?"

General nods and slow, recollecting murmurs. Twilight smiled.

"Well, I've been developing on some of that technology, and tinkering with more complex mechanical structures. I even have an early model for generative intelligence, something simple that can help with basic labwork. So, I put it into something that can interact with the physical world. Everyone? Meet Phoebe."

A small, mechanical bird flapped into the room, almost soundless. The make was remarkable, eerily realistic if it weren't for the obvious bronze, gold, and copper pieces. Feathers like fire and plumes like flame decorated the thing, eyes glowing LED blue, and looking at it, Sunset got the strangest feeling of deja vu.

The bird's head swerved around, seeing them with light-up eyes. It flapped twice, chirped, and settled on Twilight's shoulder. She smiled, scritched its chin, and the construct nuzzled back with a mechanical trill.

Rainbow frowned, eyeing it up. "So it's... what, like an AI or something? Haven't you watched Exterminator?"

Twilight rolled her eyes. "That's just a movie. A good movie, admittedly, at least the first two. And for the record, this isn't Artificial Intelligence, it's Generative. It bases its responses on the information it's been fed, and comes up with the best approximation of how to respond. It won't be 'coming alive' any time soon. And besides, I've programmed it to be more of a physical assistant than anything."

Rainbow seemed unfazed. "Sure, whatever you say. But the moment that thing starts shooting lasers, I get to say I told you so."

"That's not going to happen. Anyway." Twilight held out her wrist, and allowed it to clamber on. "Her name is Phoebe, or PHI for short. It stands for Programmable Holistic Intelligence. She's got pretty basic coding, but I have a more complex digital version I interact with running on a local system."

"See what I mean? This is SkyMesh shit if I ever saw it!"

Twilight ignored her, pointedly. "Anyway. She can't really speak, since I felt a little weird about giving her that ability. But, she can understand and interact with people pretty naturally." She paused. "Kinda. It doesn't always hit the mark."

"Can it share a drink?" Sunset asked.

"Uhm. It's mechanical."

"I'm guessing that's a no then." She saw Twilight nod, and cursed. "Damn. Always wanted to split booze with a robot."

"Have you?"

"No, not really, but don't tell me it wouldn't be cool."

Twilight shrugged, smirking.

"Nah, she's totally got the right on this one!" Pinkie beamed, jabbing the bird with her elbow. "Let me know when you have drinking capabilities, hot stuff. Rrrreow!"

Phoebe cheeped.

"Now that's what I'm talkin' about! And since we're all here, let's see how this birdie flies. Phoebe, pop open the booooooze!"

Phoebe launched from Twilight's wrist, zipping over to the table in seconds. With articulate metal claws and a sharp golden beak, it made quick work of the corks and bottlecaps.

Sunset watched it work, face scrunching. "Hey, Twilight?"

"Mh?"

"Why's it got, like... my colors?"

Twilight's face went beet red. She tugged on her lab coat, seemingly wanting to obscure her face, but dropped it at the last second. "I, uh... thought your colors would be the prettiest to design from."

Sunset grinned, tossing her hair. "Fair enough. I am pretty hot..

Twilight flushed darker.

The collective gaze switched back to Phoebe. The moment they discovered it could mix drinks, the requests arrived hard and fast. Fascinating to watch it work, and Sunset would give Dash this much - a little creepy, too.

Wallflower and Fluttershy abstained, while Rainbow needed some convincing before she let it make one for her. Naturally, she kept an eye on it the whole time. Before long, everyone sat in the living room, nursing their respective drinks, alcoholic or otherwise.

Thanks to the topic of AI, and the search for something to hold their attention, Twilight asked PHI to make a suggestion. It flew to the remote, searched the various services Pinkie subscribed to, and pulled up all seven Exterminator movies.

They only watched the two. Sunset however held a secret, faintly guilty fondness for the fourth - Exterminator Redemption. Not that she'd ever say it in public.

Tongues wagged, and the girls shared commentary loosened from the alcohol. All the while, Sunset watched the bird in action, and she had to admit whatever semblance of personality it possessed was amusing. Somehow, it seemed to know Rainbow's ire, and with that knowledge snuck little opportunities to taunt and harrass her. The effects of her stupor made its job that much easier.

On screen, the XT1k emerged from the linoleum floor.

"How, hic. How'm I sposeda know you can't do some freaky shit like that? Or, or, or! What if you're poisoning my drink! Yeaaaahhh, I know what you're up to. Whaddya, think about that! Stupid ass dumb ass fuckin' ass robot bird."

It cawed. Rainbow glared.

Sunset lounged on the carpet, legs splayed, back against the sofa's front. "So Twi. Between the first and second, which is your favorite?"

"The first, easily. It's more of a proper thriller instead of an action flick. A very good action flick, mind you, but an action flick nevertheless." She tipped back her rum and coke - beginner's drink, baby stuff, but Twilight admitted she'd never drunk before.

"I-I'm preferring the second one, personally," Fluttershy mumbled. "T-the first one is kind of, uhm, scary."

"Exactly!" Pinkie agreed. "But the second one also has that nuclear holocaust scene. That was pretty scary too!"

"Y-yes, well. I didn't really like that either. I prefer romance movies, or nature documentaries."

"You would," Rainbow jeered.

AJ gagged. "Yuck."

"Aaaaagreed. Speagina whish, Pinkie." Rainbow leaned over, sloshing her drink. "Twenny bucks, you owe me, 'member?"

Sunset laughed. "In your state, Dash, I'm surprised you even remember something like that."

Pinkie giggled. "Oh yeah! Heehee, I don't actually have any money on me right now, sorry!"

"Maaan, das some bullshit. Whatever. I din'nt even want the money. Hic!"

Rarity cleared her throat. "I do believe our rainbow-haired compatriot has hit the drink harder than most. Perhaps someone should stop her before she, ahem." Rarity finger-quoted, "'Makes sick'."

"Wha? Nnn, screw you Rarity. I'm fine, I can totally handle more. I'm fine, really. Seriously."

Sunset laughed. "Oh yeah, she's fuckin' toast. Phoebe, mind takin' her drink?"

"Nooooooo!" Rainbow whined. She fumbled against the bird as it dove, trying to hold on but too drunk to mount any worthy defense. Metal talons ripped it from her grasp, and it swooped over to Sunset.

Rainbow, subsequently, fell on her face.

"Aheehee, floor feels funny."

"Thank youuuu~" Sunset sang, snatching the glass. In one swig, she downed the entire shot.

Whether because of her younger years, or trans-dimensional biology weirdness, Sunset found it hard to get buzzed. It took her twice the amount it did anyone else to feel the effects of alcohol.

The night wore on, and drinks kept flowing. Rarity never raised herself above mildly tipsy, but Pinkie, Applejack, and Sunset got properly shitfaced.

Rainbow, after falling onto the floor, passed out and drooled.

On the cajoling of Sunset and Pinkie, Fluttershy and Wallflower acquiesced to trying a drink. Wallflower took sips from multiple varieties, and found none to her liking.

Fluttershy knocked enough shots to kill a horse.

She slurred, throwing her cards against the floor. "Oh my fucking god. Fucking stupid ass bullshit! Why do I never win? Stupid fuckin', god damn assmonkey shitcarnival fuckin' bitch asshole dick cunt muncher-"

"Shhorry Flufferfluff. Guess you're just not good'nuff at the game, heeheehic!" Pinkie beamed stupidly, wavering against Fluttershy's side.

"Calm down guys, it's naw a competi- competish- uhm, contest, thingy. Thing. Or, uhhh." Sunset thought a moment. "Kay, ignore me, 'm dumb. It totally kinda is."

Two hours passed. Time and stupor both took their toll on the party.

Pinkie lost the battle against sleep first, snoring loudly on Fluttershy's shoulder. Fluttershy gave in next. Lying down the party girl on the floor, she flopped onto the couch and snoozed into unconsciousness.

Then Applejack turned in, followed by a tipsy Rarity.

Wallflower excused herself after, and at last Twilight could hold out no longer, yawning between her apologies to Sunset.

"Iss fiiiine, dun worry abouddit. 'M sure'll goda sleep soon too," she assured. Minutes after, Twilight lay curled up on the sofa. Phoebe shut itself down with her, leaving Sunset alone in the quiet aftermath.

Like dominos, she thought. One after the other, they fell, yet left her standing.

Taking a last quick trip to the bathroom, she shut off the lights. She glanced towards the living room to see everyone sleeping - save Rarity, who opted for taking one of the Pie sisters' beds.

Sunset got a strange sensation standing there, a tightness in her chest. It took a moment before she realized what she was feeling.

Lonely. An empty kind of space, right above her gut. She couldn't place why.

A breath of fresh air might do her good, she decided. Tequila in hand, she zigzagged towards the door.

She expected a pleasant, quiet night. She expected the hum of crickets, the hoot of owls, the sounds of a light summer breeze. And she did get those.

But she did not expect, stumbling onto the porch, to find Starlight and Twilight standing in the darkness.

"Heeey," she said. "Whatchu doin' here? You guys realize the party's, urp, over, yah?"

"Uh oh, Twilight. Looks like we got a drunk on our hands."

Yeaaahh, eheheh. Pinnkie like, got us the whooole house fertha weekend. We got totally fuckin' hammered, dude."

Twilight cocked her head. "It does sound like you had a good time. And I apologize for not arriving sooner. Princess duties and everything, you know. The usual."

"We mostly came here to see you anyways."

"Whafur?"

"To wish you congratulations, of course." Twilight beamed, and pulled Sunset into a tight embrace. Sunset hiccuped. Stepping back, she let her waver backward until she found her footing. "Celestia and I are proud of you for coming so far."

"Pssshhh, s'nothing." Sunset, after a swig from the bottle, waved her hand dismissively. "S'jus highschool, lol. Wait, did I just say lol out loud? Haha, I'm so fucking drunk."

Shaking her head, making sure the door behind her was closed, Sunset lowered herself onto the stone porch. She sat back against the wall, legs sprawled out before her. "Woulda been better if I graduated from Celly's school, like I was s'posed to. But, oh well. I'm dumb, wasted an opportunity when I had it. Didtha a'lot ya know."

She took another swig.

Her friends exchanged glances.

Twilight held her gaze. "Are you... doing okay, Sunset?"

The question struck her like a rock. What did she mean by that? Of course, she was doing okay.

Why wouldn't she be?

"Uhm. Yeah!" she slurred, not very convincingly. "To'ally fine. Jusda bit tired's all. Annnnnd drunk."

"Mind if I take a sip?"

Sunset offered a wordless noise, handing Starlight the bottle.

"Starlight!"

"What? It can't hurt. I'll only have a little."

Twilight huffed. "Fine, but I'm not dealing with both of you sloshed, okay?"

"Relax, Twilight. When have I ever gone overboard?"

"Really?"

"Okay, fair. I promise I won't get drunk. We cool now?"

"Pinkie Pie Promise?"

"Sure," Starlight sighed. "Pinkie Pie Promise. Yadda yadda heart and die, yadda yadda in my eye. Now lemme drink some damn booze, mom."

Sunset watched the bickering duo in amusement. Starlight tilted her head back, and down her throat flowed the hot, soothing burn of tequila.

"Mmh, that's the good shit right there. Twilight, you want some?

"Uh. No thanks. Back to the point, though. Sunset, would you mind if we sit with you?"

"Sure, why not. Just don't make too much noise. Buncha 'lil sleepin' fishies inside," she said, jerking an elbow to the door behind her. It thunked against the wood, and Sunset cradled it, hissing. "Ow, shit."

To her right, Twilight took her place, Starlight to the left. They each gave her enough space to sprawl, for which she was thankful. Drunken sprawling felt good right about now.

"So Sunset," Starlight asked. She gulped another mouthful, briefly choking on the taste of fire. "You're done with highschool. Got any cool plans?"

Sunset, cheek leant into her shoulder, pondered. "I was planning on Uni, but..."

"But?"

"Iunnuh. Juss... I still wanna, but, like. Feels like somethin's missing, y'know? But Iunno what."

"Hm," Twilight intoned.

"Maybe you could take a gap year?" Starlight downed a third swig. "Your friends too, maybe, so you're not left behind. Ponies do that a lot when they're not totally sure what to do. Or, sometimes, it's just to relax and take a breather from life, or find a job."

"Maybe. Could be nice, I guess." Sunset pursed her lips. The tequila ran strong through her veins, but its warmth steadily fled with the conversation. Whether that was a component of being required to think consciously or something else, she couldn't say. "Come to think of it, I don't even know how'm gonna pay for stupid college. It's not free like in Equestria, and tuition fees are a bitch."

Twilight's eyes widened. "Tuition fees? You pay for education on Earth?"

"Y- hic! Yyuuup, sure do. DOn't ask me about it, s'stupid. Still gotta figure out howta pay somehow."

"I am a Princess of Equestria, you know. I might not be able to fund you directly, but I'm certain I could find assets you could liquidate here on Earth for human money, or whatever it is you call it."

"Dollars. Bucks and cash too, but it's dollars officially, at least in this country."

"Hic!"

"Moon curse it, Starlight! What did I tell you about the tequila?

"What? I'm cool. I'm fine. I'm cool.

...hic."

Peering over, Sunset cracked a wicked grin. In the short time their conversation had begun, Starlight drained over half the bottle.

"Thass my kinda girl," she cheered, nudging Starlight in the waist. "Good 'ol tequila. S'too bad it's called sunrise tequila though insteada Sunset, am I right?"

"You said it, sister."

"Crown above, you two are unbelievable."

Sunset and Starlight snickered. A comfortable silence followed, interrupted only by the occasional gulp. Crickets and cicadas and a hooting owl were their company, the foreign sea of stars their backdrop. And for a short time, Sunset was at peace.

Until Twilight spoke.

"What if you're homesick?"

Sunset blinked. "Huh?"

"It's just a suggestion. You've been living on Earth for five years. Maybe you just miss home."

A grimace, etched like stone, worked across her face. "I mean. Maybe?"

"Like I said, just a thought. You always have a place with me if you want to return. I'm sure Princess Celestia would have you as well."

Suddenly, Sunset had no desire to continue the conversation.

She stood, yawned, rubbed at her eyes. "Uh-huh. Well, I'm pretty tired at this point. Think I should catch up on some Zs right about now."

Twilight, who stood after her, nodded. Sunset ignored the skeptical glint in her eye. "I understand. Starlight, do I need to get you up myself?"

"Uh-huh."

Groaning, Twilight bent over and got Starlight on her feet. Her beanie had fallen halfway off her head, and her constant wavering back and forth reminded Sunset of a waving reed.

"We're going to get home ourselves then. Celestia knows I'll need a couple shots of espresso if I'm going to function in the morning." Twilight hugged her a second time, before looping an arm around Starlight. "Have a good night, Sunset, and think on what I told you."

"I will," she said, smiling politely. The moment Twilight turned, her smile fell.

Halfway down the path, with Starlight's head lolled on her shoulder, Twilight paused. "Hey Sunset?"

"Yeah?"

"You did deserve a second chance. Don't ever doubt that."

They disappeared far into the night. Even after, Sunset stood for a long, long while.

"So. Homesick, huh?"

She considered it. The fact the notion made her so upset, logically, meant there was some truth in Twilight's words.

Tonight was not the night to think about them. She lied about being fine, but was honest when she said she needed sleep. Stifling another yawn, Sunset, cat-like, weaved her way inside the house.

A wayward observation of the living room told her there weren't any good spots left to sleep, so she padded her way upstairs instead. She opted for Pinkie's space. Marble's was taken by Rarity, she didn't want to risk a confrontation with Limestone tomorrow morning, and if she had to admit, she was somewhat wary of what she might find in Maud's.

So, Pinkie's would have to do. The sheer brightness of the room, even in the dead of early morning, made her gag. Too much pastel, and that was coming from an Equestrian.

But the bed was nothing if not comfortable. Fluffy pillows abound, and the softest, warmest comforter Sunset had known hugged her to sleep.

As the tide of slumber approached, Sunset weighed Twilight's words. Perhaps she was right. Perhaps she was homesick. Surely a trip to Equestria couldn't hurt, right? Especially if she and the girls took a gap year, though a month or so would probably be enough.

With that idea in mind, she flopped on her side, hugged a pillow tight, and dreamed of home.

Author's Note:

The curtains rise upon the first act. A young woman realizes all is not so well as she believed.