• Published 16th Apr 2024
  • 835 Views, 384 Comments

Death Valley - Rambling Writer



Hostile lands. Frigid valleys. Backwater villages. Shadowy forests. Vicious beasts. Gloomy mines. Strange magics. And the nicest pony for miles is a necromancer. A royal investigation of tainted ley lines uncovers dark secrets in the Frozen North.

  • ...
2
 384
 835

29 - Reach Out and Touch Faith

Considering how yesterday had been, Bitterroot felt great when she woke up. Actually, scratch that; Bitterroot would’ve felt great even without the stress of yesterday making the smallest bit of good feel better. She hadn’t slept that well in ages. Definitely not since entering Tratonmane. She actually felt calm and ready for- whatever the day was going to throw at her. Which, given the past few days, could be quite a lot.

…She’d spent the whole day paranoid, turned into a mearhwolf, had a mental breakdown, learned she was staying in a cult town, and she still felt great. Hmm.

Staying in bed didn’t feel right, so Bitterroot loped her way downstairs. It was early enough that the common room was still empty. Cabin was giving the bar one last cleaning and Code was sitting at a table, chewing on a stick and scribbling things on a scrap of parchment, one of the copies of the journal at her side. Her eye was still bloody from last night. “Morning,” Code said without looking up.

“Morning,” said Bitterroot. “Would I understand what you’re working on?”

Code shrugged. “Probably. I’m just getting my thoughts out about the Deormont.”

Cabin immediately stiffened and stopped in her work. Her ears were turned towards Code. She flicked her tail. It was like she was too shocked to move.

“We only learned about it last night and we’re pretty sure it’s not illegal,” Code said loudly. “We’re not doing anything yet. Nothing to see here.”

Cabin stared at Code. Blinked. Then she tossed her towel aside and walked up to Code, looming over her. “Dinnae say a word tae Canterlot about us,” she growled. “Not one.”

Code simply looked up at her.

Immediately, Bitterroot felt the intensity between them. Two ponies, each trying to force their will on the other. But it wasn’t even a contest. No matter how much Cabin tried to project size and intensity, Code didn’t waver. She didn’t look like she was capable of wavering. It wasn’t long before Cabin’s angry glare faltered while Code remained impassive. It only took another moment before Cabin turned and scuttled back to the bar.

Then Code said, “Okay.” And she went back to writing.

“Th-thankee,” grunted Cabin. She started stiffly cleaning the bartop again, but she kept sneaking glances at Code and her movement was jerky.

“Just diving in, aren’t you?” asked Bitterroot.

“When there’s no easy way to do something, just diving in is your best bet.”

Not the worst piece of advice Bitterroot had ever heard.

Code kept writing. On a whim, Bitterroot peeked at the parchment. Right in the corner, surrounded by technical questions about its design, was a crossed circle. Bitterroot reflexively flinched and looked away. But the image didn’t burn its way into her brain like it had before.

“How’re you doing with the sigils?” Code asked.

So they were “sigils” now, hmm? “I don’t know,” Bitterroot said. “I’m- I haven’t… really been in a position to see them since yesterday.” She sighed and shook her head. “They were everywhere. I felt like I’d see them in my whiskey if I’d looked at my cup for long enough.”

“Of course,” Code said blandly. “You might’ve been experiencing a divine revelation. They have a way of finding their way to you.”

“All those hallucinations of circles were divine revelation?” Bitterroot asked, a hint of derision creeping into her voice. “What, was a voice saying ‘talk to Tallbush about me’ too much for it?”

“Possibly. Tutelaries are… They see the world differently. They’re less physical and more conceptual. The meaning is more important than the writing in front of it. Tratonmane’s holy book has the symbol on the cover.” Code opened the book just enough to show Bitterroot. “So maybe you seeing those circles was the Deormont telling you to talk to Tallbush about it.”

“Hmph. The voice would’ve been nice.”

“Welcome to the wonderful world of paraphysical beings.”

Cabin was still staring, looking more and more confused.

More people started trickling in, including Amanita and Charcoal. Breakfast was soon ordered and made for the four of them. They were about halfway through their meal when Charcoal said, “So who thinks the Deormont is the source of the ley line?”

The entire atmosphere froze.

Conversations stopped dead. Ponies stopped eating. One by one, they all turned to look at Charcoal nervously. Some of them exchanged glances with one another. None of them moved.

“Oh, bug this,” muttered Code. She climbed onto the bartop and stomped twice to get everyone’s attention (not that she needed to). She adjusted her glasses and bellowed in a voice that belied her small size, “Alright, everypony, listen up! We know about the Deormont!” She waved her copy of the journal for emphasis. “We’ve only known since late last night! We are not going to do anything to prevent you from worshiping it! It is completely legal! Tell your friends so I don’t need to repeat my-sunblasted-self a hundred cotton-pickin’ times today! You don’t need to keep it a secret! …Thank you.”

And then she went back to her seat. The other ponies gradually went back to whatever they were doing before, if with more glances in her direction.

“Did you honestly just say cotton-pickin’?” Bitterroot asked in disbelief.

“I’m a frustrated old fogey, it’s obligatory,” Code said. To Charcoal, she said, “You’re right, though. A being of great power, part of the land… I’d eat my tail if that’s not the case. There are many different types of gods.”

“So it’s in the mine,” said Charcoal. “And Tallbush won’t let us in the mine.”

“Perhaps he didn’t want us in the mine because of the Deormont,” said Code. “And now that we know about it… I’d want to talk to him anyway. Get this whole ‘cult’ thing straightened out.”

“You don’t think Tratonmane’s a cult?” Bitterroot asked. (Ponies were turning to look at them again.) “I get that they’re okay people, but…”

“It’s not a cult,” Code said. “Mostly because the definition of ‘cult’ is an incredibly hazy one that’s almost entirely pejorative and- really… shouldn’t be used without…”

As her voice trailed off, she raised her head, eyes intense, ears twitching. She jerked her head towards the door. “Something’s coming,” she said in a low voice. She slid off her chair and casually slipped into a combat stance.

And once she mentioned it, Bitterroot could feel it, too. Her attention was being drawn in that direction, in much the same way Celestia and Luna dragged the attention towards themselves simply by being present. Metaphysical weight. She tensed her jaw and felt her wings tense up.

The door to the Watering Cave opened up and an angel walked in. “Mornin’,” thundered Tallbush.


Amanita really wished she could see what Bitterroot could see, because once regular old Tallbush walked in, Bitterroot sucked in a breath and her wings twitched like she wanted to start flying away ASAP. Amanita spared a quick look at her; even her hooves were twitching frantically.

Code blinked and raised her head as her stance eased up. “Your Grace,” she said, bowing slightly. She wasn’t sarcastic.

“Ma’am.” Tallbush returned the bow. “Beggin’ pardon, but I’m fergettin’ yer rank-”

“Colonel.”

“Colonel.” Another bow. “I presume they… told ye?”

“Absolutely.” Code gestured towards the table. “Why don’t we take a seat?” And every ear and several heads in the room turned to watch.

The table was getting cramped, but they managed. Bitterroot nudged her chair a bit further away. Tallbush shot her an odd look, prompting a sharp, quiet gasp from her. “Still seein’ me like las’ night?” he asked.

“Y-yeah,” Bitterroot said, nodding shakily.

Tallbush grunted and moved his attention back to Code. “Reckon you’un and I might as well get down to it. What dae ye want?”

Code looked at Tallbush for a long moment. Then she asked, “What does the Deormont give you?”

“I’m sure ye’ve read it,” Tallbush said, gesturing to the journal.

“I’d like to hear it in your words.”

“…Food an’ health. Survival in a place that Celestia’s light doesnae reach. We can grow food enough tae feed a family on a grain o’ dirt an’ a drop o’ water. An’ some plants, like the rye? Wouldnae e’en grow at all if’n the Deormont werenae makin’ it so. Makes up fer the food y’all Canterlotians nair send us.”

“It does,” Code said blandly. “And health?”

“We can live in Midwich,” said Tallbush. “An’ beg yer pardon, but have ye felt Midwich? ’Tis a miracle the air itself ain’t froze. Live fer longer. Heal faster after we’ve been hurted. Like tae nair get sick. Cold, fever, ague-”

“Black lung,” Amanita said, her ears going up. Code and Charcoal both looked at her in realization. “Nobody gets black lung here. Because of the Deormont.” Arrastra hadn’t even known what black lung was. Divine protection would certainly do that.

One of Tallbush’s ears drooped. “What’s a black lung?” he asked.

Exactly.

Tallbush gave Amanita a Look before continuing. “Without the Deormont, Tratonmane’d not exist. Since Canterlot ain’t sendin’ us a pit-eaten thing, we wouldnae have the strength nor the supplies. The sole question’s whether we’d starve out or freeze out. That’s it. That’s all there is. That’s the reason we’re devoted tae a thing frae the lightless pits ’neath the earth.”

“Mmhmm,” said Code. She briefly glanced towards the door; Amanita saw her tail flick. “I’ve heard worse reasons.”

“Aye. Sae, what shall it be? About tae slap me in irons fer consortin’ wi’ eldritch things?” Tallbush grinned in aggressive surrender. More ponies started looking their way.

Code rolled her eyes. “Hardly. Consorting with eldritch things is part of my day job. Believe it or not, this actually isn’t unprecedented. Plenty of things lurk in the dark corners of Equestria, some ponies. But ‘dark’ doesn’t mean ‘malicious’ or ‘harmful’. Sometimes, it’s not even dangerous. Just dark. Just ask Luna.”

“Or me,” Amanita said. Not quietly, either. Tallbush’s nod was subtle, but visible.

“I’ve skimmed the journal-” Code held it up. “-and I don’t think the Deormont is malicious, harmful, or dangerous, and given the situation, some desperation on Tratonmane’s part is to be expected. I… won’t call your fears of reprisal unfounded, but they’re unnecessary. We’ll leave you alone.”

Tallbush tilted his head. Just about every pony was looking in their direction. The atmosphere tightened, like the town itself was holding his breath. “Jes’ like that?” Tallbush asked.

Yes,” said Code through gritted teeth. “Yes, yes, by Luna’s stupid sparkly mane, yes! I swear to Celestia, if one more pony asks me that-” She inhaled deeply, closed her eyes, and started rubbing her temples. “Yes,” she said in a too-level voice. “Just. Like. That.”

“She’s had to say that a lot and she’s going craaaaaazy,” Charcoal stage-whispered.

Tallbush looked around the table. The tension was released as he grinned. Then he started shaking with laughter, making Bitterroot push her chair away a little bit more. “We were, heh, we were mighty afeared when we heard y’all were a-comin’,” he said, shaking his head. “We spent abouten three hour jes’ boardin’ up the hall so ye wouldnae see the windows. Makin’ certain nopony’d say a word ’bout the Deormont. Cancelled all our meetin’s. Even kept ye out o’ Pyrita’s funeral so’s I could funeralize all proper-like fer her. An’ ye jes’… dinnae care.” He pressed his face into one of his hooves, frustration getting released as mirth.

“And, I presume, you stayed away from me because I’d sense you?” Code asked, not batting an eye.

“Ye were eatin’ dirt!” Tallbush guffawed. “Gettin’ close tae the ley line by chowin’ down on dirt! An’ if gettin’ close tae the ley line meant ye could feel the Deormont’s magic in me… Eatin’ dirt.”

“Well, it worked, didn’t it?” said Charcoal. She almost sounded insulted.

“Heh. Reckon so.” Tallbush chuckled and rubbed his cheeks. “Ha, ye’ve no idea what an easement this is. I’ve spent-”

The door to the inn banged open, revealing Arrastra. “Tallbush, Yer Grace,” she said breathlessly. “We need tae tell ’em.”

“About the Deormont?” asked Tallbush. “Dinnae fret, they learned last night.”

Arrastra blinked. She unfolded and refolded her wings “…H- How?”

“They- Why were ye in the town hall in the dead o’ night?” Tallbush asked Amanita.

Amanita opened her mouth, but Bitterroot was suddenly talking. “I’d been- seeing visions of crossed circles and I had some, uh, trouble sleeping and I remembered seeing it on the book. I, I convinced Amanita to come with me to check it out.” It was only then that Amanita remembered that, hey, telling someone you went grave robbing in the middle of the night probably wasn’t the best idea. “Why were you there?”

“Deormont told me tae head o’er. Arrastra, they found the journal. Started rippin’ the boards frae the windows. So I told ’em. An’ Code’s real insistent that we’ll be left alone. Ain’t ye?”

You can give her the reasons, I am not repeating myself again,” Code growled.

“Tell ye later,” said Tallbush. “Fer now, I-”

“Is the Deormont the source of the ley line?” Charcoal asked, leaning over the table a tad. “And you wanted to keep us out of the mine because that’s where it is, right?”

“Well…” Tallbush’s head bobbed back and forth. “Aye, but-”

“So we can go in, now, right?” Charcoal was almost excited. “Because the- the thing that was keeping us out has been-”

“Ain’t that simple,” said Tallbush through gritted teeth. “The Deormont ain’t responsible fer the line’s turnin’. It’d nair hurt us like that.”

“Yer Grace-” began Arrastra, raising a hoof.

“If the Deormont is the start of the line-” said Code.

“Doesnae matter!” Tallbush said, raising his voice slightly. (Bitterroot flinched and actually left her chair.) “The Deormont didnae sour the line. It wouldnae sour the line. Y’ain’t goin’ tae learn a pit-stained scrap if’n ye go in there.”

“Then why not let us in so we can check it off our list?” asked Code.

“We’ll be quick!” chirped Charcoal.

“Mine’s sacred an’ dangerous,” said Tallbush. “If’n ary o’ you’uns get hurt-”

“Yer Grace, please-”

STOP!” yelled Tallbush. Bitterroot dropped to the floor, her hooves over her ears, as everyone else fell silent. Tallbush slouched over the table, rubbing the bridge of his muzzle. “Beg yer pardon, but I’m whipped and drug out,” he said. “Night was busy. Day’s goin’ tae be busier. I dinnae need this headache right now. Ye’ve still tae find Whippletree. Can ye finish all that up so’s we can talk about this in the evenin’ wi’ nary distraction?”

Code’s tail flicked. “That’s acceptable,” she said in a voice that also said acceptable was the best thing she could say about it.

“Thankee,” Tallbush sighed. “Be seein’ you’uns.” He stood up, gave them an inkling of a bow, and slouched out the door.

The second that door closed, Arrastra rustled her wings and said solidly, “I’m a-takin’ y’all intae the mine.”

Amanita pointed at the door. “Even though-”

“We ain’t been gettin’ nowheres beatin’ the wolf ’round the stump,” Arrastra said. “He’s right, the Deormont wouldnae damify us, but that doesnae matter. You’uns came tae take a look at the ley line. The Deormont’s the line’s branch head. That’s all there is to it.” She whipped around to the rest of the room and roared, “An’ none o’ you’uns say nothin’ tae him!”

Finally,” muttered Code. “When are we going?”

“As soon as ye say. Now, if’n ye want it.”

“I like you.”


Tratonmane looked subtly different. Bitterroot couldn’t say how. She wouldn’t have been surprised if it was entirely the placebo effect. But knowing it was a cult town, now… When Bitterroot looked around, the houses seemed to loom a bit more, the streets seemed to be narrower, everything seemed to be a bit more angular. It wasn’t exactly hostile, just a bit more ominous. Or maybe she was just paying attention to the buildings now.

She started paying more attention. A certain crossed circle was suddenly difficult to find. A knot came undone in her stomach.

It was that specific time of early when the stars were fading out and the horizon was orange from the sun just below it. But they couldn’t see the horizon down in Tratonmane, so the sky was just dark, dark blue. It almost looked better that way, compared to the gash of a bright blue sky at noon or starlight at midnight. Bitterroot could at least pretend they were in a cloudy, moonless night. Especially since it was early enough that there wasn’t anypony in the streets.

“Coulda done this the very firs’ day,” Arrastra growled as she stomped her way onwards. “Nae runnin’ about an’ keepin’ secrets, nae work on the chapel, nae lyin’…”

“Correct me if I’m wrong,” Bitterroot said, “but I’m pretty sure the best way to greet visitors to your town isn’t, ‘Would you like to learn about our lord and savior, the transdimensional eldritch beast deep within the mountain?’”

“Aye, but it’s simpler.”

“So, uh…” Charcoal sidled up next to Arrastra. “If everyone in Tratonmane worships the Deormont and you want to keep it secret… what happens if someone wants to leave?”

“We let ’em,” said Arrastra. “An’ ask ’em tae keep quiet.”

They walked.

“…That’s it?” Charcoal asked.

“Why would they wish tae gab about their wee cult in the North at all?” asked Arrastra. “They play hushmouth an’ we dinnae get ary Canterlout ponies pokin’ their muzzles intae our business.”

“Sorry,” said Amanita.

Arrastra snorted. “The Deormont dinnae have ary power outside Midwich, aryway.”

There was something comforting about that to Bitterroot. If it got to be too much, she had a simple, readymade out: just leave. No worrying about actual breakdowns. Can’t have a divine revelation if the divine isn’t around.

“So what about the other way around?” asked Charcoal. “What happens if someone moves here?”

Arrastra looked at Charcoal. She looked up at the looming cliffs of the valley, cloaking it in darkness. She looked at Charcoal and raised her eyebrow.

“…Yeah, I guess not.”

Tratonmane passed by quickly, and they soon reached the shelf. As they climbed the ramp up, Bitterroot was surprised by how much she found familiar. That particular pile of rocks on the slope, that weathered sign, the clucking chicken in that nearby run the way the incline was just a bit uneven… For a pegasus, she did a lot of traveling on hoof.

“Hey, uh, Bitterroot?” Amanita asked quietly. “How are… How’re you doing with the…” She gestured vaguely. “…wolf… thing?”

“…Honestly, I’d kinda forgotten about it until you mentioned it. Cult that isn’t a cult and all.”

“Heh. Sorry. So… now that I’ve mentioned it…”

Bitterroot was silent for a moment as she let her mind drift. When her mind didn’t drift to the mearhwolf, she said, “I’m too busy thinking about the Deormont.” She was bordering on just not reacting to anything anymore, so much had happened so quickly. Not in any depressive way, but a “yeah, whatever” way. Just go with the flow and wait until it all came out in the wash to start screaming. It was how she’d handled dying.

Amanita looked at her for a while. “So you’re okay for the moment?”

“For the moment. Thanks for checking.”

“Yeah.”

Bitterroot expected them to keep going straight up to the mine, but Arrastra swerved around the tower at the top of the ramp and headed for the coal breaker. With no one up yet, it was quiet, and Bitterroot only now realized just how much it’d been humming beforehoof. Arrastra gestured for them to wait outside and ducked in. She came back out carrying four helmets with lightgem headlamps. As she passed them out, she said, “Wear ’em. Even the two o’ ye.” She pointed at Amanita and Charcoal. “Ye can use yer horns, but ye’d best have backups. I dinnae wish that ye lose yerself jes’ ’cause ye didnae have ary light.”

The strap was old and stiff, but Bitterroot got it around her head snugly enough. “What about you?” she asked.

Arrastra gave an echolocative chirrup, and Bitterroot flinched at how well it stabbed her eardrums. “Point taken,” Bitterroot said, wiggling a hoof in her ear.

And then they went up the slope. Bitterroot privately wished she’d had the headlamp on all the time. It was heavy and its light wasn’t the greatest, but she could see so much more. She’d probably be singing a different tune once she came back out, though. Newer designs were so much lighter than this. And Tratonmane would’ve known that if Canterlot had told them.

Soon enough, the entrance of the mine was yawning before them. Arrastra looked over her shoulder. “Stay close tae me,” she said. “Dinnae lose sight o’ me. If’n ye get yerself lost, stay put. We’ll find ye eventually. If’n I’m moving too fast fer ye, say so. There’s tunnels aplenty down there.” After hearing a general murmur of assent, she stalked into the mine. Code and Charcoal followed close behind.

Bitterroot was about to set off when she realized Amanita hadn’t moved yet. She was looking up at the cliff face with wide eyes, her legs shaking and her tail between her legs. “We need to get going,” Bitterroot whispered. She glanced into the mine; everyone was still visible for the moment. “Is something wrong?”

“Mines… Um…” Amanita licked her lips and pawed at the ground. “I don’t… have a good history with… mines.”

“You first ran from Circe in a mine, right?” asked Bitterroot.

“Well, yes and… no. That’s where that happened, but…” Amanita folded her ears back and blinked rapidly. “A l-lot of bad things h-happened before then.”

“You, uh…” Bitterroot flicked her tail. “You can sit this one out, I don’t-”

“No. No, I… We need to do this.” Amanita swallowed.

“Alright. But remember, whatever happens, I’m here for you.”

“Yeah. Yeah. Of course.” Amanita forced a smile onto her face. “C’mon.”

But as they trotted to reach the others, following the light of horns and headlamps, Bitterroot looked back, at the entrance. Tratonmane had very little light, but even that small amount was enough for the entrance to be visible as a small patch in a sea of black. That patch got smaller with every step.

Well. Onward and inward.