• Published 4th Mar 2013
  • 234 Views, 3 Comments

Heroes of Vice - Vectoro



In a land ponies have long forgotten, ponies fight in a war of petty fears and prejudices. Virtue has left the world, and one pony has to face it just to find out who he was.

  • ...
 3
 234

Prologue


Long ago, about two hundred years, tensions between the three pony tribes were high and rising. It was a political battle for resources, as one tribe could not survive without the other two. Each had their own special abilities, which they used as leverage against the other tribes.
The earth ponies were a strong race, and stood proud and stalwart among the other two. They used their knowledge of the earth and its resources to grow food for the land and its citizens, and used their crafting skills to produce valuable goods for trade.
The pegasi were quick and tactical thinkers, which led them to a militaristic society. With their abilities of flight and cloud-walking, they controlled the weather for the ponies of the land, as well as often being couriers and messengers.
The unicorns were wise and adaptable and held great respect for intelligence and education. Their horns allowed them to perform astounding feats of magic, most notably the raising and lowering of the sun and moon.
The three tribes needed each other, but they were too blinded by pride to admit it and continue living peacefully. Their hatred and bitter resentment of each other drew fierce winter spirits known as the Windigoes to them. The spirits brought with them a terrible blizzard that threatened to bring the mounting tension to an explosive and violent crescendo. Each tribe barely had enough of their own resources to sustain themselves, let alone trade with each other. The lack of resources led the tribes to believe they were hoarding them for themselves. Yet, even in their rage, their leaders foresaw a war and did not want that for their citizens.
On a day we now know as Hearth's Warming Eve one hundred years ago, two ponies from each of the tribes set off from their homeland, hoping to find a new one where they could live away from the other tribes and avoid bloodshed. After months of travel, they all happened upon a country rich in every way, but as they each claimed it, they found each other. Their hatred returned and brought the Windigoes with it. They took shelter within a single cave and by gaining mutual respect for each other, summoned a great and powerful force, the Fire of Friendship. With it, they defeated the Windigoes and melted the ice within their own hearts.
The three tribes put aside their differences and claimed they new land together, naming it Equestria, symbolizing that they might have their differences, but they are still all ponies. They returned to their homeland to bring the rest of their kin to this new, beautiful country. The leaders created a thriving civilization where ponies of any race can live together in harmony.
But this is not the end of our tale; it is merely the beginning. Though many of the homeland's ponies were ready to give up the fighting to live peacefully, many others had reasons to stay. Some did not want to give up their power. Some did not want to give up old prejudices. And some simply did not want to give up the life they had made for themselves in their homeland. Though the leaders of each tribe left, some lower officials saw the chance to rise in power in their current land and took it.
It has been a hundred years since our old leaders left Materia, taking their wisdom with them to be replaced by the greed, hatred, and lust for power of the next ponies to rise to power.
It has been a hundred years, and war is no longer merely a foreboding possibility. It is a violent and bloody reality.
It has been a hundred years, and it is time for this to end.

Author's Note:

IMPORTANT: These chapters are fairly long and take time to write, so it will be a while between chapters. As much as I would like, I cannot spend every waking moment writing. Thanks for your consideration, and enjoy!