• Published 30th Mar 2013
  • 987 Views, 20 Comments

The Fallen Solar Stallion - GaleWind



When a stallion from the past is given a second chance, can he move on or will an old enemy bring forth a 1,000 year vengeance

  • ...
5
 20
 987

Solar vs Lunar

In Burst Spear’s hooves was the lifeless body of his wife, Spring Flower. The joy of his life and first reason worth fighting for, the second being his daughter who he prayed was safe. However, at the moment he was wondering how this could have happen.

“How could this have happen to you? I’m sorry I could not protect you, my love,” he said while crying tears of sorrow. He then sensed the presence of magic and stood up on his hind legs after placing his wife back down with eyes brimming with revenge as he drew his staff and the spear tip from it.

“REVEAL THYSELF AND FACE ME AS A STALLION!!!” he roared into the darkness. He heard the chuckle of a pony and emerging from the darkness and into the moonlight was a unicorn lunar stallion.

“I have heard of thou’s sensitivity to magic but, I had to view it myself. Truly thou art an interesting solar stallion.”

“WHO ARE YOU?” he asked with his voice seething with rage.

“Forgive me for not introducing myself. Thou may call me Arcane; I am her majesty’s top unicorn generals and lead recruiter and I must say thy battle stance is interesting” the lunar stallion said while acting polite. Burst just glared at him and raised his spear ready for his revenge.

“I CARE NOT FOR THY TITLES, FOR SOON THEY WILL BE AS THOU IN THE NEXT SECOND. DEAD,” he hissed with venom lacing his voice. Arcane just held his hoof up before Burst could lunge at him.

“A battle with thou would be interesting however; I must decline unless thou dost not care for the safety of thy daughter,” he said with a grin. Burst’s eyes widened when he heard Arcane say that to him.

“WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO ROSE TIP YOU CUR!?”

“Calm thyself Burst Spear. I have caused no harm to thy daughter and will continue not to unless thou agree to my terms.”

“What dost thou want with me?” he said with a sign of defeat in his voice.

“It is as I said. I am a recruiter and I want you to join us on the side of the night and fight for her majesty, Nightmare Moon,” he said.

“I WILL NEVER SIDE WITH THAT MONSTER OF THE NIGHT!” Burst shouted at the stallion.

“Then perhaps my usefulness for thy daughter has come to an end and I no longer need her as a bargaining chip,” he said sighing.

“WAIT! I…I agree to thy terms, just do not harm her, please, I beg you,” Burst said resigning to his fate to protect his daughter as Arcane laughed evilly. The lunar unicorn used his magic to teleport the both of them away from Burst’s former life.


Burst Spear opened his eyes, awakening to the sight of him in a room with the scent of apples engulfing the room. The door to the room opened and Applejack came in with a concern look.

“You okay sugarcube, I thought I heard ya crying and I was worried,” she said.

“I am fine Applejack. I just had another nightmare but, I assure you that I am okay,” he said trying to calm her nerves. She sighed and nodded with a smile.

“Okay, well I just came to tell ya it’s time for breakfast,” she said and left for downstairs. Burst got up, placed his spear on his back, walked out the room and went down for breakfast. He joined the apple family and ate with them. After breakfast was done, Applebloom left for school while Applejack and Big Mac left to work the fields.

“Applejack, would it be okay if I helped you and your brother with the harvest. If it wouldn’t be any trouble?” he asked catching her off guard but, agreed with a smile. Applejack brought him to the nearest tree to show him how to buck apples.

“It’s real simple but, kind of hard the first time. You lean forward facing away from the tree, lift your hind legs and kick the tree. Don’t feel bad if ya don’t get it,” she said. She moved so Burst could try it himself. He relaxed himself and followed the instructions she said. He leaned forward lift his hind legs and kicked the tree. Every single apple fell down into the baskets below it. Applejack stood there with wide eyes and mouth hanging open.

“I guess it wasn’t that hard after all,” he said sheepishly. Applejack shouted for Big Mac to come over and asked for Burst to do it again. He nodded and did the same thing to another tree and all the apples came down. Big Mac eyes widened upon seeing this.

The rest of the morning went along smoothly with all three of them being able to finish today’s work by noon. Applejack decided to take Burst into town to check in with the princesses and her friends and look at the competition.

“I still can’t believe you were able to cause all the apples in a tree to fall down and this was your first time doing this,” she said as Burst just chuckled at the statement.

“I guess just had beginner’s luck or I had a good teacher,” he replied which caused Applejack to blush slightly. The two noticed that everyone was gathering on the outskirts of town. When they got there, they noticed that there was a ring in the middle of the crowd. They spotted the princesses, Shining Armor, Echo Break, Twilight and the others on the other side and went over to join them.

“Good Afternoon Applejack, I trust that there weren’t any problems with having Burst Spear staying with you?”

“No problems, yer highness. In fact he helped me and ma brother with this morning’s harvest.”

“I was only trying to help them, nothing more.”

“If that is true than you don’t have to wait long for you to be able to enjoy your new life,” Celestia said with a warm smile while Luna and the others nodded smiling.

“What is this event that everyone is here seeing and why is there a sparring ring?” Burst said.

“The lunar and solar guards are going to have sparring matches between each other. There have already been three matches,” Shining Armor said.

“It’s just a friendly tournament to demonstrate each other’s skills in both guards group,” Echo said. At that moment, a grey unicorn with a black main and tail stepped into the middle of the ring.

“The fourth match will begin in the minute. It will be a best of three fights, the leader for the solar guard will be Blitz Bolt and the leader for the lunar guard will be Night Shade,” the announcer said. Blitz Bolt and two other solar stallions came in on one side with him glaring at Burst with disgust. While on the other side two lunar guards came into the ring.

“Why isn’t Night Shade with you?” Echo said with a confused expression.

“He sprained his knee during the hydra attack and he couldn’t heal in time for the match,” the Pegasus lunar guard said.

“Maybe he’s trying to get out of the match because he knew that you didn’t stand a chance against us,” the unicorn solar guard proclaimed while the Pegasus solar guard chuckled.

“That’s enough from you private. What are you going to do Echo?” Shining asked the lunar captain before hearing something.

“Why don’t you let the ‘traitor’ do it after all he is a lunar filth?” proclaimed Blitz Bolt while glaring at Burst.

“Lieutenant; don’t listen to him Burst, he just disapproves of the lunar guard” Shining explained and was about to scold Blitz until Burst raised his hoof.

“It’s okay Shining Armor, I’ll do it,” he said flatly. Everyone was shocked by his announcement. Guardspony and civilians were looking at him with concern.

“Are you sure Burst Spear, you don’t have to do this. I can just find another guardspony to take Night Shade’s place,” Echo said, voicing concern.

“It’s alright captain Echo Break. I’m doing this to prove that the lunar guard is not filth” he said. Echo looked at the princesses for the approval and they nodded with some expressions of concern on their faces. Burst went onto the field next to the lunar guards.

“Well then, let the first fight of the best of three begin: choose the combatants,” the announcer said.

“I will go first,” said the earth lunar stallion. He picked up a training mace in his teeth and went towards the center. The Pegasus solar guard held a sword and walked towards his opponent with a smirk.

“Let the first battle begin!”

The announcer pony got out of the ring and the two guards prepared for battle. The lunar guard charged swinging his mace down but, the solar guard dodged and swung his and scored a small hit. The lunar guard grunted and started to retaliate while the Pegasus took to the air.

The exchange between the two kept going back and forth with the solar guard having the upper hoof. Burst was quiet while, Blitz Bolt was barking orders. No pony knew that he was dissecting the match with a detailed gaze. The battle ended when the lunar guard fell to the ground with too many hits to the legs.

“The solar guard team takes the first battle! May the second battle fighters come to the center.”

“I guess the lunar guards are all bark and no bite even with those teeth,” the Pegasus said laughing. The lunar stallion was helped up by Burst and sat down on the sidelines.

“Sorry, I messed up real bad,” he said with sorrow I his voice.

“Don’t worry razor. I’ll make this guy regret disrespecting the lunar guard,” the lunar Pegasus said.

“Good luck, Riptide,” Razor said. Riptide placed a quiver of training arrows on his back and picked up a bow and was about to face the solar unicorn holding the same sword his companion used in his magic when Burst stopped him.

“When Blitz Bolt yells his first order, follow my instructions to the letter!” he said with authority. Riptide was shocked hearing this but, agreed and went to face his opponent. On the stage, Applejack asked princess Celestia something that’s been bothering her.

“Yer majesty, do you know any ponies name Spring Flower and Rose Tip?” she asked and the princess nodded.

“Yes Applejack, I do know them. Spring flower was Burst Spear’s wife and Rose Tip was his daughter. Why do you ask this?” she asked which caught the attention of everyone on the stage.

“Well last night, before I went ta bed, I overheard him saying that he’s sorry for failing ta protect them.” She said which caused the princess to raise her eyebrow.

“Are you sure he said something like that Applejack?” Twilight asked.

“I’m positive. In fact, when we were heading towards the farm yesterday, I asked him why he defected and he said that he didn’t have any other choice and I could tell he was telling the truth,” she said. Her friends had confused looks while, Celestia was deep in thought about this information.

“What could have happened for him to say he didn’t have a choice?” she asked in her mind. Her train of thought was interrupted when the announcer signaled the match to begin.

The solar guard began aiming for Riptide’s wings while he continued dodging. He got a good enough distance and fired an arrow but the guard blocked it with the sword. The solar guardian had a smirk when he used his magic and in a flash, disappeared after Blitz Bolt yelled at him. Riptide began to panic but, stopped when Burst told him something.

”Go up into the air and fire an arrow to your right,” he said. Riptide immediately followed and flew up into the air and fired an arrow to his right. It connected with the solar guard and his spell dropped which caused everyone to be surprised at Burst Spear for reading a move ahead, including an enraged Blitz Bolt.

“MANUEVAR 791!” he barked. The guard nodded and teleported out of sight.

“Raise your bow over your head and fly back,” burst said calmly. Riptide didn’t understand but, agreed and did what he said. When he did his bow caught the solar guard by the neck.

“Now throw him down!” Burst yelled. Riptide nodded and flung the solar guard to the ground with a thud. He landed next to the guard, arrow drawn, waiting for a reply.

“I surrender,” the guard replied which caused cheers coming from the crowd and both guard ponies. Riptide came over amazed he was able to accomplish and win his match. Before the announcer could call the next and final match, Blitz bolt stomped towards the center with two swords at his waist.

“COME FACE ME ‘TRAITOR’ AND I WILL PROVE YOU ARE NOTHING” he shouted which caused the crowd to become quiet. Burst just stood on his rear hooves, drew his staff and walked to face his opponent.

“Let the final fight begin!”

Blitz flew straight at him, swords in his hooves and ready to attack. Burst blocked his relentless attacks with little effort which caused his anger to grow until he shot up into the air.

“Now you will suffer the ‘falling comet’!” he proclaimed. His soldiers had smug smiles on their faces while the lunar guard got nervous. He overheard that no pony has ever withstood this attack. Blitz dive bombed him, weapons at his side, aiming right at him. Burst only needed a second to recognize this attack.

“So he perfected it,” he whispered. He closed his eyes and waited for the right moment to strike. Blitz was inches away from hurting him while Applejack yelled out telling him to move. He opened his eyes, side stepped and backed flip. He missed the wide attack and the head on when the swords moved in an arc pointing down. Blitz went wide eyed when he saw Burst completely dodge his attack. Burst slammed his staff onto Blitz’s back and into the ground, finishing the contest. Everyone was stunned witnessing this before they erupted into applause. The solar guard stared dumbfounded while the lunar guard cheered. Burst was about to leave when he heard Blitz get up.

“How did you know all those tactics and the ‘falling comet’ maneuver? They were passed down from the greatest solar stallion in history and my ancestor, Blitz Shield!”

“…I was the one who taught him everything he knew about fighting.”

“Impossible! How could you know him,” Blitz Bolt snarled.

“I knew him because he was my younger brother,” he stated. Every pony there was stunned that he said that. The solar guard that fought began laughing thinking it was a joke and Blitz was shouting that it is a lie.

“Your Majesty, I ask that you tell the ‘traitor’ to stop saying lies about the greatest solar general you ever had,” Blitz said. Everyone turned their head to look at Princess Celestia to disprove Burst statements.

“I must tell you this Blitz Bolt but, Burst Spear is correct. Your ancestor, Blitz Shield, was his younger brother,” she said calmly. Everyone gasped upon hearing this news. Blitz went wide eyed and slowly turned his head to face Burst.

“Impossible”

“I learned from her majesty that he had my records destroyed from our family archives. Even though he did this he couldn’t destroy the teachings I gave him which you have refined but, the steps are still there from beginning to end,” he stated and walked past a stunned stallion and was about to leave before stopping.

“Also, this grudge you have for the lunar guard is ridiculous and stupid. All guard ponies are not perfect and you shouldn’t use my mistakes to berate them. In the end, both guards serve the princesses and your duty is to protect Equestria and its people from those who seek to harm it and them. Never forget that fact!” Burst proclaimed and went back to the stage to view the rest of the matches. When he got there everyone had smiles on their faces and Princess Luna had a tear in her eye for defending her guard ponies.

The tournament ended in a draw and everyone decided to go home seeing that the sun was setting. Applejack and Burst Spear bowed to the princesses and were heading back towards the farm. When they were gone, the solar princess had a look of confusion on her face.

“Tia, what is wrong?” Luna asked her sister.

“It’s what Applejack told us about what Burst said to her. It may have something to do with the day he disappeared.”

“But what could have caused it?”

“I believe the answer lies within his nightmares.”