• Published 17th Mar 2024
  • 130 Views, 14 Comments

Rainbow Dash learns Shine Spark - DreadX_Varia

  • ...
 14
 130

Applejack's Encounter with the Speed Booster-y Kind

Ghastly Gorge. A perfectly long place to run to and fro; a perfect place to show Rainbow Dash's newfound ability to Applejack. They have just arrived at Ghastly Gorge--albeit at a slow pace that Rainbow Dash would never even think to move at--and Applejack could see the excitement on her friend's face. What 'n tarnation is she so gung-ho t'show me? She said it made a crater of some kind, so...prob'ly some fancy power or item.

"Yo, A.J. When I start moving, watch closely for a light around my body. When I stop moving after the light surrounds me, look at the sky." Rainbow Dash instructs, then smirks confidently. "Trust me when I say it'll be a real blast you won't wanna miss!"

Applejack chuckles and rolls her eyes before speaking. "Rainbow, ya tryin'a show me the Sonic Rainboom? If so, ah've already seen it. Ain't no need to go an' glorify it just to impress me."

That gets Rainbow thinking. I mean, it's sorta like one...

"Now that I think about it, it's sorta similar to it. Except I don't have to already be flying." Rainbow Dash explained with a straight face.

Seeing her say that with a straight face catches Applejack by surprise, as she expected Rainbow Dash to say "C'mon, it's so much better than my normal one!" However, when she says it was like a Sonic Rainboom, but performed without being airborne already, it really grabs Applejack's attention.

"Huh. So, it ain't no glorified Rainboom. What is it, then?" She inquired.

"Well, it's a...I dunno, actually." Rainbow Dash replies, briefly confused. "Doesn't matter. Besides, Pinkie'll probably think of a name for it when we tell her about it."

Applejack simply nods while Rainbow Dash prepares to gallop at high speed.

"Ready when you are, A.J.! Say 'when', and let the awesomeness begin!" Rainbow Dash said with great confidence and excitement.

"Uhhh...when-oh! Okay then, she's off...."

At that split second, Rainbow Dash gallops as fast as she can. She looks ahead, imagining a target on the ground. She gallops faster. Her legs are almost a blur. Then, her body is surrounded in blue light and electricity. It's happening! She thinks. After a second longer of galloping, she crouches down, instantly forcing the light and electricity to turn purple.

Applejack watches as Rainbow Dash takes off. A second or two passes by, and, indeed, Rainbow Dash is surrounded by light. Applejack's jaw drops at the sight. Holy hay, Rainbow ain't kiddin'! Once Rainbow Dash stops, Applejack looks up and sees a glowing, purple silhouette of Rainbow Dash shooting upwards in the air. Applejack is dumbfounded. Rainbow Dash told her she would see this, but she is no less amazed by it. No, captivated by it. She doesn't know what to say. She doesn't know what to think. She doesn't know what to do.

Once Rainbow Dash is high enough, the energy field dissipates in a pink shockwave and she descends rapidly to the ground. Right before she hits it, she rapidly flaps her wings to avoid injury from the impact. Then, she looks in Applejack's direction.

"C'mon over here, A.J.!" she calls out.

Applejack, still quite captivated, gallops over to Rainbow Dash. She's still in shock after what she just saw, and she makes no attempt to hide that from Rainbow Dash. It doesn't take but a few minutes for Applejack to reach her. Rainbow Dash sees her and has a look of confidence.

"So, A.J., whaddya think of my awesome new move?" Rainbow Dash asks, confidence oozing from her.

"Ah...ah'm..." Applejack mutters.

"Hm? Cat got your tongue, A.J.?" Rainbow Dash asks jokingly with a small chuckle.

Applejack stands speechless for a minute. She just witnessed something she has never seen before; that's saying something, considering that magic is a regular part of life. However, something tells her what Rainbow Dash performed was unlike anything that she, or any other pony she knows, had seen before. Finally, after much pondering, she lets her euphoria burst out.

"That was awesome!" Applejack exclaims.

Rainbow Dash's eyes widen and her jaw drops as she lets out a long gasp. She can't even remember the last time Applejack said "awesome", let alone if she ever said it at all. If Applejack says "awesome", then this is something truly worthy of the word. And her saying "awesome" is worthy of the repeated utterance of "ohmygosh" from Rainbow Dash. As Rainbow Dash continues uttering the phrase while Applejack shakes off the euphoria, a thought comes to Applejack's mind: This whole speedy power she has is real nice and all, but...the lights n' electricity surrounding her kinda presents a potential danger. Ah should tell 'er.

"Hey, Rainbow?" Applejack says.

Rainbow Dash snaps out of her own euphoria to answer Applejack.

"Yeah, A.J.?"

"Ah think we oughta tell Twilight about this. Ah mean, it's neat n' all, but with the energy surroundin' yer body...that's a bit concerning. Fer all we know, there could be some long-term voodoo nastier than bein' skewered by a bull's horns."

Rainbow Dash ponders this and sees that Applejack is right. The item she had obtained looked not of the known world; if anybody can find out what Rainbow Dash obtained, Twilight can. She is, without a doubt, the smartest of the six, and she has many books that can potentially give some insight on Rainbow Dash's new ability. She can easily find out what my awesome new power is! She thought to herself.

"Yeah, you're right, A.J. Twilight oughta have a book about my weird, glowy, torpedo power." Rainbow Dash replies to Applejack. Then, out of the blue, a high-pitched voice pops up out of nowhere.

"You could call it the 'Electro Propello'! Or, you could call it-!" the voice, coming from Pinkie Pie, is cut off by Applejack.

"When the hay did you get here, Pinkie? An' how long have ya been 'ere?" She asks.

"Oh, I've been here the whole time! I mean, I wasn't originally listening to you guys. You see, I was at a birthday party when a balloon just randomly flew off. Naturally, I had to follow it. I didn't really realize I got here until I got the balloon, and that's when I heard you two talking and trying to think of a name! So I thought-!" Once again, Pinkie Pie is interrupted, this time by Rainbow Dash's hoof.

"Okay, Pinkie. We get it. Now, can we please head off to the castle? The sooner we meet up with Twi, the sooner I can learn what my new power is." Rainbow Dash interjects.

Both Applejack and Pinkie Pie nod in agreement, then all three of them head off to Twilight's. At least, after Rainbow Dash catches herself before she starts flying. She lets out a small chuckle before speaking.

"Whoops! Forgot the bet was still on." She says with a smile before galloping along with her friends.

Author's Note:

I actually had my irl sister get some input on this because my mind was drawing a blank at word 735 (not even kidding). The part where AJ asks about how dangerous it is is what she suggested.

Comments ( 9 )

11865099
Chapter two is out now

What does the Shine Spark ability from Metroid do again, exactly?

11883178
Did you read chapter two? It describes it in great detail.

11883178
It allows you to dash in any of the 7 directions (because you can't boost down) from the built up momentum from the Speedbooster powerup if you crouch when Samus's suit glows blue! Though it does drain health for the entire duration of the Shinespark! Later games removed the draining health, so you could go absolutely buck-wild with it! :rainbowdetermined2:

11883146
Hey, thanks for updating me on the new chapter in my blog and all, but you don't need to DM me with such things, it's fine. I can just track the story! :raritywink:

11883903
Oh ok. You're welcome!

11883898
Ahhhh a cultured Metroid fan!

11884678
Aye, played all the 2D ones bar the original Metroid II! AM2R is my favourite!

11884991
Oooooh AM2R is good!

Login or register to comment