Comments ( 5 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 5

So I'm trying to write myself a Fallout: Equestria fic, but instead of some wasteland evil, I like the idea of the MC fighting something far older than a fellow wastelander, or some pre-war secret "Diabolos ex machina/Deus ex Machina", but something older and more eldritch. But I'm unsure how to go about it.

Comment posted by Kama and Hallie deleted Oct 14th, 2022

Maybe you can try using some of Lovecraft's stories as reference.

It's usually always something completely unexpected and never fully explained what and how it is, mostly only mentioned and built up yet has very little direct presence, and if you wanna really be like how Lovecraft and a lot of great Lovecraftian cosmic horror writers do it, the entity is usually a representation of a certain fear, like how Cthulhu is an embodiment of the fear of the ocean and the unknown of the universe, Pennywise in "It" is a representation of childhood fear and trauma, Nyarlathotep is fear of advancing science and forbidden knowledge, and Lovecraft's "The Outsider" is a representation of the fear of being an outcast.

That's my tip, not sure if it helps, but hopefully you'll find something out.

One I definitely want to reference is "The Nameless City". And the final scene from The Dunwich Horror(the counter ritual to send the abomination back to the abyss). But I'm mainly going to focus on a cult older than Equestria itself as the antagonistic faction.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 5