Cutie Mark Crusaders 1,748 members · 4,492 stories
Comments ( 13 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 13

...That Scootaloo didn't fly as an adult in the final episode? I mean, if any Pegasus deserves to fly, it's the adorable, beautiful, wonderful, sweet, kind, gender-ambiguous little filly that is Scootaloo.

I would say "no." A huge part of her character arc over nine seasons was learning to be herself, and accept herself, love herself, be her best self, despite a disability. It would have rung false to add a gratuitous retcon to nine seasons of groundwork in the last episode.

But her aunts were heckin' cute! Loved that episode!

No. She will never fly.

And that's alright.

That was the point. Handicaps and diseases do not pick 'bad' people or avoid 'good' people. They just happen. She is awesome, flying or not.

i think it's left up to interpretation, like a lot of things in the episode. Whether she can or can't fly once she's an adult is never addressed to let the fans come to their own decisions. Either she never does because it's about her learning flying isn't what makes her Scootaloo or she can after much effort, but is a mild flyer and doesn't see it as too big a deal anyway.

i mean, i personally think she CAN fly since, if Bulk Biceps can with his far smaller than Scootaloo's wings that can lift his WAY bigger than Adult Scootlaoo body, it isn't beyond reason Scoots would have the ability to fly at least a little bit.

I would have wanted her to be a thestral and flying, a gift from Luna. Certainly would have had the community going.

7131650 No. It was heavily implied that she was physically disabled, even in the early seasons.

I was greatly disappointed in it. I was really hoping she'd finally fly!

This, for me, it was good. Still, it would have made me feel all warm and fuzzy to see her fly.

Yes and no. Speaking as someone who has a disability, autism, overcoming your limitations to achieve what so many perform effortlessly is like a wish come true, but the disappointing truth is that handicap individuals will always be struggling at just being normal.

It's just something we have to live with and work around.

According to Jim Miller, that was supposed to be a subtle hint that she is in fact disabled, like Lauren Faust's original vision for her.

I'm personally glad it wasn't addressed head on and left more open to the viewer.

7131650 I'm not disappointed. If Scootaloo flew, it would make her a liar.

In and of itself, no. Though what I did find disappointing is that there were multiple scenes of Scootaloo wishing she could fly, multiple examples of technology that could have let her fly, but never the briefest discussion of anypony actually helping her fly. Rainbow Dash helped Apple Bloom try hang gliding and got her pet tortoise a device with which to fly alongside her. There's no excuse not to have done anything similar for Scootaloo.

"You don't need to be not-disabled to be special" is a fine moral in and of itself, but implying it to be a valid substitute for actual solutions seems rather patronizing. Imagine if Kerfuffle were introduced hopping around of three legs, and the other ponies just threw feel-good platitudes at her with no discussion of her obtaining her iconic prosthesis.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 13