Official OC Group 466 members · 1,490 stories
Comments ( 6 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 6

Hey there. It's me again. Sorry to bother you, but I really need your help. I've created another character besides Sid and his nickname is Timonist, or Timon for short, and his real name is Odium Sui. He's a chupacabra. I want to create a good tragic backstory that will fit his personality without being cliche. Can you help teach me how to do it on my own, please? Thanks. His personality is this: Timon is a serious, brutal, and ruthless being with a critical, skeptical, and cynical outlook on morality, viewing others as evil, heartless, or selfish. He's quick to point out the flaws, misdeeds, and immoral actions of others. Despite this, he can be very honorable and respectful when someone proves themselves how morally right they are.

He's usually very calm, level-headed, and composed, but can be very temperamental when provoked. His attitude towards the morality of others causes him to be very misanthrope and untrusting and think that values, such as friendship and love, are just selfish, manipulative, and evil values that are used to keep certain beings in and others out. He's also a very strategic and quick thinker usually, able to think ahead of things when he's calm and composed. However, when he's extremely angry, he can be impulsive and aggressive.

The reason why he acts this way is both out of seeing all of the morally questionable actions that others have done and out of self-hatred for thinking that he's just as evil, if not more so than everyone else. Seeing all of the evil actions, conflicts, and consequences that come with them, but are often ignored or in denial, has driven him crazy and filled with hatred for everyone, including himself. To teach others a lesson, or bring them to their senses, he would usually call them out or pick at their flaws, misdeeds, and other immoral traits. And if that doesn't work, he would usually teach them a lesson by force. He would also secretly cause self-harm and be self-critical when he does this.

Unlike other villains who think they deserve better than what they've been given, Timon thinks he deserves the opposite due to his self-hatred and is so consumed by both his self-pity and hatred of others that he outright refuses any redemption and remorse entirely, even if it means hitting others to make sure he's gotten what he's deserved because he doesn't want to be seen as a Karma Houdini and because he doesn't understand empathy the way the Mane Six do, seeing it as a sense of manipulation and evil.

This is a good start, but can you get inside the head of your character?
Look at the world through his eyes?

Not every villain needs a tragic backstory like abuse or other nastiness.
If not done well, it could become cliche.

He's usually very calm, level-headed, and composed, but can be very temperamental when provoked. His attitude towards the morality of others causes him to be very misanthrope and untrusting and think that values, such as friendship and love, are just selfish, manipulative, and evil values that are used to keep certain beings in and others out. He's also a very strategic and quick thinker usually, able to think ahead of things when he's calm and composed. However, when he's extremely angry, he can be impulsive and aggressive.

What if he lived in a home where his mother was a manipulative person who ran hot and cold?
The father was cold and distant, but sometimes he was warm and loving. But the father prized planning and rationality over all.

This is part of worldbuilding too. Where your char grew up has a huge influence on his mind. Heck, what if his parents were the best, but they lived in a repressive religious cult?

Don't forget to check videogames, movies and books for ideas too.

There are a lot of ways to mess up your character without using death and destruction.

As sevenofeleven said, you are on a good track. The character seems to be three-dimensional at the moment to say the least :pinkiesmile:

However, not every character, including villains, needs a backstory. What a character needs is motivation—and a backstory is just one way of stating what the motivation is.

Also, just a word of advice. It is good to know your characters well, but focusing on your story’s plot and message and how they fit into it should be your first priority. It may sound harsh, but characters are tools for telling a story, a story’s point is not showcasing your characters.

Thanks for the advice, guys, but what about his other personality traits as well? How do I think of a backstory for the other traits.

Only worry about traits if they are relevant to the story.

Okay, thanks again.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 6