The Dresden Fillies 214 members · 27 stories
Comments ( 10 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 10

So this might require some twisty-turny logic, but what're the odds on Harry's coat having some sort of parachute enchantment on it?

Follow me through this,

1: Chicago is a major city, and it has a lot of skyscrapers and other structures that reach unto the heavens,
2: Harry in his glorious wisdom and effortless grace has had to go to the top of these buildings at least once (Short Story, The Warrior),
3: Harry has the worst possible luck, he has to go the top of one of these buildings on a job there's a very, very real chance he's gonna get thrown off of them by something that wants him deader than dead.
4: He's mentioned experimenting with a flying broomstick, and the hassle of aerodynamics at least once that I can vaguely remember.

So in the name of just being prepared, when he's putting all of his defensive spells on his coat, he gets Bob to tutor him through putting a parachute spell on it, something that mean he breaks bones rather than turns into street pizza, he didn't use it during Changes because he had the jump potion which is a far better option if he's got it on hand, but he's got his ever-present duster as a back-up.

How likely is this parachute-coat idea do you guys think?

Also, anybody got a pony name for Bruce Springsteen? I've got one for Johnny Cash (Johnny Bits), Dusty Springfield (Dusty Withers), and Tracy Chapman (Tracey Trotsman), but I can't figure one out for the Boss.

ClosetKnight
Group Admin

5356842 the parachute coat seems like it would be an interesting to bring up to jim the next time he does an AMA

ClosetKnight
Group Admin

5356842 also, Bruce Springsteed.
or Spruce Springsteed

Lord Of Dorkness
Group Contributor

Hmm...

An interesting idea, but I'm fairly certain layering such a different enchantment on the coat would be risky, IE might compromise the whole 'armor that still breathes' thing.

And then there was that one time in Small Favor where a 'slow fall' would have been very useful, so I don't think the idea has accured to Harry.

There was that one time in Storm Front where he (briefly) levitated down with wind, though that was only a story or so.

And now I can't stop smiling.

ClosetKnight
Group Admin

5357077 so, my ideas for pony springsteen?

My immediate reaction was "you see the Boss as an Earth Pony?", what with the 'planty' name.

But yeah it works, "Spruce 'The Hoss' Springsteed".

ClosetKnight
Group Admin

5357511 i chose spruce because bruce was too human of a name and rhymed it. but, yeah, i guess so.

The other name that connects to that would be "Hock de la Rocha", although I'm not sure if Equestria would have a "RATM" equivalent, maybe "Rage Against the Arcane"?

(The song in question is "The Ghost of Tom Joad" originally by Bruce, and an excellent cover by RATM)

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 10